View Poll Results: Do you want a new Elite Badge

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

89 90.82%
  • No

9 9.18%
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Elite Badge

Thank you marc i will wear it with proud.

I want a badge too

I been playing Elite since 1984 on the BBC B and made it to Elite too late to get a badge sadly. Now I want one. I really hope they issue one for the new game.

Wink I want a badge

Yup I have been playing Elite in all it's version since about 1984 on my trusty BBC B. I loved it and made Elite but too late for the badge. I have searched for years for one. Please has anyone out there got a badge for sale. Please are they going to make new badges for the new game.

These are important questions.

Is there going to be promotional items so that we can show off our abilities. Say get to Dangerous before you can buy a hat or Deadly before you can buy a jacket.

This would raise extra money for improvements and updates and would make a lot of people very happy.

Hi Katrin
    Merged your Poll thread into the existing Elite Badge thread

I'd love a badge available for Elite players, even if it is a 'paid' benefit.

Well, I know I would want an Elite badge if they were available but not at 300k.

This type of thing would be great to have for sale in a Frontier shop. The only question should be if you need to be Elite to be able to buy one.

Frankly, I am surprised it wasn't/isn't part of the pledge rewards. If these were sold on a limited availability run for backers at £5 a go; I reckon it would be a great way of raising further funds.

Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post (Source)
    The only question should be if you need to be Elite to be able to buy one.
    I think you should have to be Elite in game to either be gifted one or to buy it for yourself.
    Speaking from experience as one of the seemingly very rare original badge holders it is the fact that it was awarded that makes it special and why after 28 years I still know where it is.

Of course today that isn't fashionable as game publishers don't like giveaway items as it eats into profits, while they do like online shops where they can sell everything game related to boost earnings.

As DB and Frontier have broken away from the publisher model they could choose to satisfy both desires.

An online shop where you can buy badges, mugs, t-shirts and anything else they can think of.

But also have a variant of the badge (Elite Service medal with campaign bar and oak leaf cluster) that is only awarded to those who earn Elite status in-game.

Ideally gifted to the player but, if it had to be bought the physical purchase could only be unlocked if your online stats showed Elite status on your profile.

Lets face it the cost of the original badges was minimial, the quality of the moulding is basic to say the least, it is what they represent not what they are that makes them special.

Don't buy it, Earn it!

Now that's a serious bit of cool.

The "collector" in me would love lots of different ones for different things..........I better shut up before I start though......

I would love an entire range of real life equivalent medals from the game this time. That would be amazing

I wouldn't mind covering the cost of receiving it either, seems unfair to expect FD to do it for free.

Originally Posted by Kerrash View Post (Source)
    I would love an entire range of real life equivalent medals from the game this time. That would be amazing

I wouldn't mind covering the cost of receiving it either, seems unfair to expect FD to do it for free.
    That would be amazing! If we were to complete some very high risk, exclusive and extremely difficult missions, Frontier might then send out to those lucky few a limited edition medal. I'd be more than happy to pay for its production, p&p etc too

They could make some nice cash on the side with things like this. Maybe a selection of medals for various missions and a display box/case of some kind.

Then we can gather our loved ones around us and regale them with heroic tales of battle, how we saved the universe and were awarded the Celestial Warrior by the emperor himself! But then some punk kid wouldn't show us respect for what we fought for, and we'll sob "you don't know... you weren't there man!!!!!"

I'm not sure it would be good to have many badges. The more badges that are available the less value each badge will have. It would eventually become just another in a collection.

Having just the one badge, and only for achieving Elite status, would mean that one badge would be forever unique and special; not one of a bunch of badges in an old box somewhere.

Originally Posted by SnowGhost View Post (Source)
    I'd love a badge available for Elite players, even if it is a 'paid' benefit.
    Hmmm, I must have been drunk or something when I wrote that. It's a terrible sentence.

What I meant was that the badge should only be available to players who have achieved the Elite rank, in online play and I wouldn't mind if you had to send Frontier dev some money to cover the cost of the badge.

I think I'm going to make a stack of different ones just for me.

Originally Posted by marc smith View Post (Source)
    You can order an elite badge here.
    http://www.shapeways.com/model/57427...ductBox-search
    Has anyone ordered one of these ?

Interesting the different versions of the badges, the black square one and also the alternate colour for the words ELITE.

So the Acornsoft one had the silver backing and the BBC had the goldbacking.

I was told the Acornsoft ones are extremely rare and that only around 30 of them are around and that they were only given out once a month to random people that submitted their forms.

Don't know if this is accurate or not......... anyone know ?

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast