View Poll Results: Do you want a new Elite Badge

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    89 90.82%
  • No

    9 9.18%
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 317

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Elite Badge

  1. #166
    Originally Posted by Johnb View Post (Source)
    It is unclear the tournament ever happened. At least I cannot find any record of it. We need someone from Acornsoft to shed a little light on the matter.

    I am pretty sure I sent my card in after April 1985 anyway. I certainty wasn't invited to play in any tournament. Also possibly a PR stunt that sounded good but never happened

    I can't comment on the Acornsoft tournament but the Firebird tournament for the Commodore 64 happened. I know because I won the UK competition and went on to beat the finalist from the USA to be crowned World Champion.


    Originally Posted by Susimetsa View Post (Source)
    And what is this "tournament" that they speak of? How would you actually compete in Elite?
    The live competition was based on kills, but everybody started at the same place with a basic Cobra and some money, so the race was on for kills, but obviously trading to earn money to upgrade was important, but how long do you trade before going on a rampage. It was actually a tough call while you are trading you hear other people in combat.

    There where about 16 other players in room playing for 5-6 hours, considering how long ago this was and how people talk about competitive gaming today, it was another example of Elite being ahead of its time


  2. #167
    Originally Posted by Johnb View Post (Source)
    Like it -- I am in ...

    And definitely PIRATES.
    Might have to put Pilot, Pirate or whatever to the vote.

    Whilst the idea of Elite Pirates is tempting the idea of the Federation of Elite Pilots destroying members of the Elite Federation of Pirates is even more attractive.

  3. #168
    Originally Posted by buellpilot View Post (Source)
    I can't comment on the Acornsoft tournament but the Firebird tournament for the Commodore 64 happened. I know because I won the UK competition and went on to beat the finalist from the USA to be crowned World Champion.




    The live competition was based on kills, but everybody started at the same place with a basic Cobra and some money, so the race was on for kills, but obviously trading to earn money to upgrade was important, but how long do you trade before going on a rampage. It was actually a tough call while you are trading you hear other people in combat.

    There where about 16 other players in room playing for 5-6 hours, considering how long ago this was and how people talk about competitive gaming today, it was another example of Elite being ahead of its time

    Right - we need to play on the same side ....! :-0

    Great story by the way and well done ...

  4. #169
    Okay - more info on the Elite badges.

    According to Nick Caulfield - who is doing bedroom to billions documentary via kickstarter:

    Incredibly rare original 'ELITE' METAL BADGE from 1984 (only one given out a month by Acornsoft to a randomly selected person that wrote in with proof they'd attained 'Elite' Status).

    Apparently the badge referred to is the black enamel version. Although based on the sample of this thread it appears the most common!!!!

    Either way I think we can conclude there aren't too many of any type of Elite badge floating around!

  5. #170
    Originally Posted by Johnb View Post (Source)
    Okay - more info on the Elite badges.

    According to Nick Caulfield - who is doing bedroom to billions documentary via kickstarter:

    Incredibly rare original 'ELITE' METAL BADGE from 1984 (only one given out a month by Acornsoft to a randomly selected person that wrote in with proof they'd attained 'Elite' Status).

    Apparently the badge referred to is the black enamel version. Although based on the sample of this thread it appears the most common!!!!

    Either way I think we can conclude there aren't too many of any type of Elite badge floating around!
    That's quite a surprise. As I remember it, everyone that sent the card with proof of Elite rank received a badge. The applicant with the highest Elite status each month received an additional reward.

    It was nearly 30 years ago though so my memory of it could be wrong. It's just I can't see why they'd have only made such a small quantity of badges in the first place if it was only one per month.

  6. #171
    Yes - I tend to agree with you that it makes little sense. The only thing you can say is that it jives with what Styggron mentioned earlier. He has yet to chime in on where he heard that from.

    As it happened I had a couple of mates who filled out the form and didn't get a badge - I cannot recall whether they got an acknowledgement.

    Also if you look at the comeptition card it makes mention of 'one person a month' receiving an elite emblem. Again unclear if that is the badge or something else ... but I assume the badge.

    Unclear whether they followed through on that as I am pretty sure I got mine after the competition closed!

  7. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #172
    Let me remind people that you cannot sell any of our IP without having a deal with us. We're open to people getting in touch, but you must have agreement.

    Michael

  8. #173
    Originally Posted by Michael Brookes View Post (Source)
    Let me remind people that you cannot sell any of our IP without having a deal with us. We're open to people getting in touch, but you must have agreement.

    Michael
    Well then, start maing Elite badges and selling them for Profit.

    Unless you have an alternative plan for Elite badges for the future and intend on handing them out when players hit Elite status in Elite Dangerous.

  9. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #174
    Originally Posted by SnowGhost View Post (Source)
    Well then, start maing Elite badges and selling them for Profit.

    Unless you have an alternative plan for Elite badges for the future and intend on handing them out when players hit Elite status in Elite Dangerous.
    That isn't the point, you cannot sell our IP without permission.

    Michael

  10. #175
    un-retracted because Michael quoted me

    Michael, I think the point isn't "You can't sell any of our IP without our permission", I think the point is people want quality Elite merchandise, things they can take one look at and go "I want that ... shut up and take my money". The thread by Mobius where he mocks the T-shirts and mugs or the thread where he photoshops fake merchandise show that there is a huge merchandise opportunity here and Frontier are missing out on this. It could bring in more revenue to fund development, and yet if Frontier are not going to step in and sell the merchandise someone else out there will.

  11. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #176
    Originally Posted by Alien View Post (Source)
    Michael, I think the point isn't "You can't sell any of our IP without our permission", I think the point is people want quality Elite merchandise, things they can take one look at and go "I want that ... shut up and take my money". The thread by Mobius where he mocks the T-shirts and mugs or the thread where he photoshops fake merchandise show that there is a huge merchandise opportunity here and Frontier are missing out on this. It could bring in more revenue to fund development, and yet if Frontier are not going to step in and sell the merchandise someone else out there will.
    To sell products based on ours you have to have our permission. If you have an idea can follow through on it then we welcome people getting in touch. We will be working on merchandising when the game is more progessed (our focus is rightfully on that).

    We cannot allow people to just help theirselves, we have been very clear on that.

    Michael

  12. #177
    I agree people should not sell your (Frontier) IP without permission, my comment was that FRONTIER should be selling it.

  13. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #178
    Originally Posted by Alien View Post (Source)
    I agree people should not sell your (Frontier) IP without permission, my comment was that FRONTIER should be selling it.
    I agree, I only have so many hours in the day and the game comes first :-)

    Michael

  14. #179
    Originally Posted by Michael Brookes View Post (Source)
    I agree, I only have so many hours in the day and the game comes first :-)

    Michael
    Then employ me and I'll handle the merchandise (I am actively seeking employment )
    I live in Blackpool and we have more companies making merchandise than you can shake a stick at. I can easily approach any of them of behalf of Frontier and negotiate deals.

    I'm already in the process of making t-shirts related to Myst Online Uru Live ... so I'm kind of in that area already.

    (and for the record, I am serious if you wanted to take me up on my offer)

  15. This is the last staff post in this thread. #180
    Thanks for the offer, but we'll get into it when we're ready.

    Michael

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast