Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newsletter #152

...isn't sure what's going on. Moderator T.j's Avatar

Newsletter #152

Ohh what's this strange thing you ask???

Why yes it's a unleashed newsletter to keep you a happy bunny.

Cyber Monday deals inside

NEWSLETTER #152

Welcome to the Elite Dangerous Newsletter, the place to find all the latest from the Elite Dangerous galaxy.

The expansion efforts in Colonia reach the next stage this week, but before you set off on on your journey to a new corner of the cosmos, make sure you check out the amazing Cyber Monday deals we have on offer.

As always, you can hear the latest news and updates directly from the development team on our Forums, Twitter, Facebook, Community Homepage, and right here in the newsletter every week, and we're always eager to hear your feedback.

On the Horizon
    All the latest for Elite Dangerous: Horizons

The Pilot's Federation and Colonia Council both thank you for showing interest in the expansion efforts. There's been unprecedented support from those looking to set up a base in Colonia.

If you're looking to contribute, we'd like you to confirm which organization your efforts should be added to. Simply log into the Colonia Council Migration website and select from the list of organizations available.

Remember, Colonia is a Super-Power and power free utopia. It's up to you to decide which factions are developed as the Colony grows.

Livestream Lowdown
    Catch up with videos from the community team

ED OPEN - CABIN FEVER

Zac and Ed clashed this week in a Passenger Mission contest. Who shipped the most passengers without getting blown up? Watch this weeks recap to find out.

Ed will return this Thursday December 1st with a new Elite Dangerous Open, tune in to take part at at 7pm BST

STORE SPOTLIGHT
    The latest goods and the best deals from the Frontier Store

LIMITED EDITION MIDNIGHT BLACK PAINT JOBS

The much coveted midnight paint jobs are available for a limited time only in the Frontier Store.

The pinnacle of stealth paint jobs, the midnight is available for 28 different ships. Get yours this Cyber Monday before it's too late.

40% OFF FOR ONE MORE DAY

Have you been eyeing up that particularly striking paint job? Time to give your beloved ship a refresh? Now is the time with 40% off a huge variety of items in the Frontier Store.

This promotion ends on November 29th, so get your paint job while you can.

Community Central
    The best from the community, all in one place

CHRISTMAS CARRIERS CONVOY

The Colonia Citizens Network are gearing to assemble the largest merchant fleet in history, starting with this superb trailer.

The convoy will bring the next influx of colonists, along with equipment, military hardware and Lavian brandy.

The convoy will be departing the bubble December 2nd. For more information head on over to the dedicated forum post.

Galnet Focus
    All the news from across the Galaxy

EXPLORATION CAMPAIGNS CONTINUE

The competing campaigns from Tau Ceti Crimson Legal Solutions and the mysterious Children of Raxxla have entered their second week. Both organisations have asked for exploration data from Hawkin’s Gap, the Conflux and the Formidine Rift.

SALE OF THE CENTURY

Tchernobog Free, a retail conglomerate based in the Tchernobog system, has placed an open order for various commodities. The organisation has promised to reward pilots who deliver domestic appliances, clothing and consumer technology to its base of operations at Vancouver Ring.

RAM TAH RELEASES STATEMENT

Earlier this month, engineer Ram Tah announced a research programme designed to uncover the secrets of the Synuefe ruins. Following weeks of silence, the engineer has released a statement in which he said he would “not be pressured into offering untested claims”.

OUTBREAK UNDER CONTROL

The Uibuth Empire Party has announced that its appeal for medicine has received the unconditional support of the galactic community. Princess Aisling Duval, who funded the relief effort and whose repatriation centre is based at the starport, thanked those who supported the campaign.

Community Goals
    The latest missions for you to take on

FEDERATION APPEALS FOR EXPLORATION DATA
    Gilmour Orbiter, Tau Ceti

Deliver Exploration Data to Gilmour Orbiter in the Tau Ceti system for the Federation.

CHILDREN OF RAXXLA APPEAL FOR DATA

Sereborv Terminal, HR 6421

Deliver Exploration Data to Sereborv Terminal  in the HR 6421 system for the Children of Raxxla.

SALE OF THE CENTURY
    Vancouver Ring, Tchernobog

Deliver Domestic Appliances, Clothing and Consumer Technology to Vancouver Ring in the Tchernobog system for Tchernobog Free.

Comms Chatter
    A round up of this week's community content

THE GALAXY IN PICTURES

CMDR Theseus Rorschach has documented his travels through the Galaxy in these stunning photos.

SHIP BLUEPRINTS

For those who want an insight into their ships, CMDR Arithion has posted a complete series of blueprints for the ships in Elite Dangerous.

You can get high quality versions here.

GALACTIC ATTRACTIONS

Last, but by no means least this week, CMDR Cocalarix has brought us reports of strange constructions on a rather unusual planet.

See you in the black, Commanders

The Frontier Developments Team

Frontier

Copyright ę 2016 Frontier Developments plc. All rights reserved.

Frontier Developments plc, 306 Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, England,  CB4 0WG, UK

Thanks for posting.

Those images by Theseus Rorschach really are stunning.

Haha. Hooray.

Flimley

Damn... i am gonna be that guy again but..... really we needed a delay for this news letter? I gotta admit i thougt they was gonna be some new info in this one.

Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post (Source)
    Damn... i am gonna be that guy again but..... really we needed a delay for this news letter? I gotta admit i thougt they was gonna be some new info in this one.
    I don't think it was the contents of the newsletter itself that caused the delay, more that the newsletter took 2nd place to more important tasks (and I'm guessing they had to prepare the Colonia stuff also):

Originally Posted by Zac Antonaci View Post (Source)
    Hey all,

Just a quick heads up, because of the Black Friday sales, emails and other festivities your weekly ED newsletter will be postponed until early next week so make sure to keep an eye on your inbox then.

We hope you all have a fantastic weekend!

Zac

FD your Marking team should be fired!,
    You release the news on the 29th of Nov 18:00 Wet with deal for Cyber Monday!... ending on the 29th the day of release.

Good Job !

Being able to build a park inside domes on an airless planet would be a reason to buy Planet Coaster!

The click bait at the end of the newsletter is fantastic!

BTW I'm sorry I read this only today night. I didn't know about the Colonia exodus and I'm out of timeframe to subscribe the initiative

Time to unsubscribe the newsletter.

Why?

Simply because the newsletter is obviously pointed towards inactive players to keep them updated whats going on in the Elite universum.
    Oh, it also has constant advertising of Frontier Stores active discounts.

But, for us longtime actives, theres nothing we dont already know by just following the forums and playing the game.

So, heres my suggestion for you Frontier:

How about adding some REAL content to the newsletters?
    I would REALLY like to read about:

- Whats Frontier doing at the moment? With Elite, with Planet Coaster, etc
    - Weekly interview of some Frontier employee
    - Weekly interview of players?
    - Weekly report of whats happening with developing Elite
    - Weekly bugsmashers report (for example like someone from the QA team telling how they fixed some bug)

Just to mention a few just for example.

As i said, atm theres just nothing interesting at the newsletter and for now, im unsubscribing it.

Look at what you could've won

Originally Posted by Henkka77 View Post (Source)

Have been thinking about this lately. I would very much like to know what the community team get up to on a day to day basis. I remember a couple of years ago there was a "meet the team" series on the forum where a dev would be interviewed. There then followed a similar idea on the community site (just text and a photo but they were always an interesting read).

Ah like the dev update you mean?

- Weekly bugsmashers report (for example like someone from the QA team telling how they fixed some bug)
    I would love that! Even if it was just high-level (i.e. no need to give away trade secrets etc.)

Remember "Answers from the devs"?

You would have thought by now that they'd be increasing the amount of this stuff, not decreasing it. Especially now there are 5 of them in the community team.

Originally Posted by MAIN SEQUENCE View Post (Source)
    Have been thinking about this lately. I would very much like to know what the community team get up to on a day to day basis. I remember a couple of years ago there was a "meet the team" series on the forum where a dev would be interviewed. There then followed a similar idea on the community site (just text and a photo but they were always an interesting read).

Ah like the dev update you mean?

I would love that! Even if it was just high-level (i.e. no need to give away trade secrets etc.)

Remember "Answers from the devs"?

You would have thought by now that they'd be increasing the amount of this stuff, not decreasing it. Especially now there are 5 of them in the community team.
    Well, my main problem is that the newsletter is old news for me when it drops to my e-mail and probably for many active players. Why would i want to read about community goal which has been active already almost a week and is probably over when the letter arrives?
    The whole newsletter should get complete overhaul, bigger, longer, uncut. It should have real articles, interviews, player written content, etc etc, possibilites are endless.
    Back in DWE we had DWE weekly letter and even that had more content and it was completely player made. FDev should look that for examples what the newsletter should be all about.

- Whats Frontier doing at the moment? With Elite, with Planet Coaster, etc
    - Weekly interview of players?
    Next week ? Perhaps ?

qas do not fix bugs, their job is to spot them, define strategies to spot them, and certify their death by squashing.

the newsletter has always been like this: late, redundant and stuffed with advertising, aimed at the most junkie portion of the fan base. tbh, newsletters usually are. one exception was the last one prior to horizons beta, with lots of new and enticing screenies, so i always skim through them just in case but this takes me 15 secs on average, not a big deal.

meet the devs was a cool glimpse into the team (even if a bit artificial and forced) but then ... there's just so many devs, and i guess only a few were willing to do it. trust me, it's not nice when your employer asks you to do such things. it's a compromise, you are not free to speak out your mind and tend to have much better things to do, usually only brown-nosers accept.

dev updates were very nice, but at one point frontier probably decided that giving actual information was counter productive or too compromising. since then it's been practically information blackout. they only give away info when they need feedback or want to get the hype train rolling, and then it's the minimum amount necessary and as vague as possible. and tbh, i can understand that pretty well. frontier's initial open stance was noteworthy but things got often messy and i always feared it wouldn't last. ah, the romance! on the down side, pizza deliveries have stopped too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast