Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Cross-platform play

Cross-platform play

Great news about the PS4 version!

Two key questions:

1. Will commander saves work between PS4 and PC allowing seamless pick-up and play going between the two?

2. Will there be cross-platform play and shared instances between PS4 and PC players (apparently this has been available on PSN since 2002 ) ?

An official comment would be appreciated

2. This is the last staff post in this thread. #2
    Hi Rieve,

No, commander saves are still limited to the platform it was saved to. PC to PC, XB1 to XB1, PS4 to PS4.

There will not be cross platform play. The background sim will be all one in the same to all platforms, but players will only be able to see one another on the same platform, same as above.
    - Brett C / bc
    AKA: Forum Manager, Webmaster, Community Assistant/Manager, Social Media.
    Planet Coaster: Website - Forums - Twitter - Facebook - Instagram - Youtube - Reddit
    Elite Dangerous: Website - Forums - Twitter - Facebook - Instagram - Youtube - Reddit
    Frontier: Website - Jobs - News

It would be hard to implement now because they've already allowed duplicate CMDR names across platforms which seems like a bad move, as it allows no possibility of merging them in future without a lot of hassle.

Originally Posted by Cypher2139 View Post (Source)
    It would be hard to implement now because they've already allowed duplicate CMDR names across platforms which seems like a bad move, as it allows no possibility of merging them in future without a lot of hassle.
    "IF" the merge, (hope eventually they do/can) They can work with platform specific icons near or in the CMDR names.

Well that solves that, won't be buying the PS4 version if I can't use my commander login.

Originally Posted by DustyArne View Post (Source)
    "IF" the merge, (hope eventually they do/can) They can work with platform specific icons near or in the CMDR names.
    Thet did that in WarThunder. Just added a * to the front of the PSN names. Worked a treat.
    - - = = Free Commander of the Star Fraction = = - -
    " ...We are designing the bounty system (and others) to discourage PvP and encourage player cooperation." David Braben
    Change Open to PvE Only. There is no good reason why the majority should have to make HUGE private groups to get away from the minority PvPers...

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    Hi Rieve,

No, commander saves are still limited to the platform it was saved to. PC to PC, XB1 to XB1, PS4 to PS4.

There will not be cross platform play. The background sim will be all one in the same to all platforms, but players will only be able to see one another on the same platform, same as above.
    Is cross platform instancing completely off the table, or is it more of a "can't do now, maybe in the future" kind of thing?

-CMDR Sali Vader // Join SINC today! // Discord

Sorry, but that's just horrible. I was thinking about building a fast PC with VR, but I won't, don't want to start over. Bought the game, but in the end... no. I have a PS4 Pro with PSVR. Now you're doing that to me again. Why do I have to stick with this lousy XBOX forever?

Originally Posted by sirdir View Post (Source)
    Sorry, but that's just horrible. I was thinking about building a fast PC with VR, but I won't, don't want to start over. Bought the game, but in the end... no. I have a PS4 Pro with PSVR. Now you're doing that to me again. Why do I have to stick with this lousy XBOX forever?
    Trust me, a fresh start isn't bad. I've done so four times now.

"We have no intention of preventing murder within the game, that is valid gameplay choice" ~ Michael Brookes - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post1633276
    Xbox GT: V8UC UNICORN PC CMDR: Un1k0rn
    Cobra Mk III official Owner's Club: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...I-Owner-s-Club
    Flight System: Saitek X52 | MSI Z97 GAMING 5 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | MSI GTX 960 4GB | Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 GHZ

Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    Trust me, a fresh start isn't bad. I've done so four times now.
    May be true for you, for me it would be a complete waste of time and I'd rather stop playing for another 30 years.
    Of course there is project scorpio, so I probably have a chance I'll get VR there, but who knows how bad Microsoft will screw up again.

Originally Posted by SaliVader View Post (Source)
    Is cross platform instancing completely off the table, or is it more of a "can't do now, maybe in the future" kind of thing?
    When I asked him about PC <> Xbox crossplay after MS said it now supported that, Frontier's Gary Richards said:

Originally Posted by Gary Richards View Post (Source)
    The vision of the game has always been for everyone to be able to play together in the same Galaxy. The announcement from Microsoft regarding cross-play certainly helps us towards that vision, but there are many technical and infrastructure obstacles that need to be resolved.
    I do feel it would be great if players had the option to play cross-platform so (as you say) they could then choose the game mode that suited them.

I would assume it would be similar (i.e. along the lines of "hopefully maybe in future once hurdles are jumped") for PC <> PS4.

For Xbox <> PS4, or full Xbox <> PS4 <> PC, I'd expect that it's got pretty much zero chance whatsoever, thanks to Sony.

I personally would be super happy to do a once off transfer from PC->PS4. I'd even plonk some money on the Frontier store front if it required a bit of manual DB copying on the backend.

Originally Posted by nash View Post (Source)
    I personally would be super happy to do a once off transfer from PC->PS4. I'd even plonk some money on the Frontier store front if it required a bit of manual DB copying on the backend.
    I would pay as well if it was a money reason why PC-Xbox-PS4 can't interact with each other in game.

Would be so amazing to drop all players in the same galaxy not only BGS wise.

Ah, but with no platform crossover that would suggest on day one a pretty empty Universe of PS4 players! That could give an experienced player a fresh start to quickly come up to speed without a lot of player interference.

Originally Posted by Hooplah View Post (Source)
    Ah, but with no platform crossover that would suggest on day one a pretty empty Universe of PS4 players! That could give an experienced player a fresh start to quickly come up to speed without a lot of player interference.
    That was my thought too. Quite an appealing prospect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast