Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Additional Testing

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1
    Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous
    Frontier Employee

Additional Testing

Hello Commanders!

We have a few more tweaks that will be dropping into a future beta update that we’d like you to test and give feedback for.

We’ve rated these less controversial, so we’re expecting them to stick once beta ends – unless of course the feedback from you folk throws up issues.

If this does happen, don’t worry, we’re equally at home rolling them back.

Shield regeneration speed increase
    We’re going to increase the speed at which shields regenerate.

The largest shields, size 8, will gain the most benefit (x2 regeneration when broken), whilst the smallest, size 1, will see no gain. The benefit scales linearly for the rest of the shields.
    The regeneration effect will be more pronounced on shields that are already formed. It’s worth remembering that shields still cannot regenerate for a few moments after taking damage.
    As a side effect, regenerating shields will generate more ship heat, though not by a very significant amount.

Bi-weave regeneration increase
    We’re also buffing up the regeneration boost that bi-weave shields have. These shields have improved active regeneration rates, but seeing how small the actual rates are (even with the buff above), we feel they weren’t quite as competitive as they should be.

We think these shield changes are positives in of themselves. However, they also support a more experimental change to shields that we’ll be discussing in a separate post.

Trader hull health increase
    We feel that traders are too weak.

They’re never going to be combat beasts thanks to their limited hardpoints and manoeuvrability, but that doesn’t mean they should boil up *quite* so quickly.

So we’re doubling the hull health of the following ships: Hauler, Type 6, Keelback, Type 7, Type 9 Heavy.

We were considering a larger increase, but we figure it would be good to get some feedback from you folk – although this isn’t in our opinion a controversial tweak, it’s the corner cases we need looking at from all angles.

Military ship slots
    We’ve mentioned this concept a while ago and it grew on us, so we’re going to test it out.

We’re adding some special “military” slots to a subset of ships.

These slots are additions, so no ship will lose anything. However, the only modules that these slots will accept are hull reinforcement, module reinforcement and shield cell banks.
    The concept here is to increase choice for the more combat oriented ships, without awarding the same benefit to multipurpose vessels that already have a slew of advantages.
    It’s not all roses though. Remember, additional modules means extra mass and potentially higher power draw.

The following ships will benefit from additional military slots:

Eagle: 1x size 2
    Imperial Eagle: 1x size 2
    Viper Mk III: 2x size 3
    Viper Mk IV: 2x size 3
    Vulture: 2x size 5
    Federal Dropship: 3x size 4
    Federal Gunship 3x size 4
    Federal Assault ship: 3x size 4
    Anaconda: 2x size 5
    Imperial Cutter: 3x size 5
    Federal Corvette 3x size5

Whilst we can already hear the deluge of “ship X has too many/too few/where is ship X!” posts, we’re really interested in how these changes feel to the ships that have them, in the beta (we still know you’re going to make the other posts anyway ).

Final notes: the FDL is not on this list for a reason. We don’t believe it needs the help military slots provide and it’s not used by any authority or military force.

Also, it could be argued that the three large ships don’t need the additional defence. The reason they are testing them is because of the shield changes that we’re going to discuss in the separate post.

Cytoscrambler strength increase
    For those who can get it, we’ve increased the damage output of this weapon. It should now be competitive at shield stripping, even against medium/large size weapons.

We’ve also increased its range, up to 1km, and increased the damage fall off to start at 600m (it was previously starting to drop at 300m).

Go, go Archon, you bad, bad man!

OK, that’s all for now. We look forward to your observations, comments and suggestions!

Solid sounding changes all around. Only suggestion I would have is that with its reduced base internals compared to the other Fed ships, the Gunship is, even after the added military slots, extremely fragile. Please consider upping it's base armor or shielding, or adding a size 5 or 3 military slot on top of what it already has. It should be able to tank more damage than the Dropship due to its reduced maneuverability characteristics but this is not the case currently.

I would love to see it as a tough ball of death that has a hard time chasing you but controls an area very well by being high damage and highly durable, but easy to escape from. To deal with a Gunship, you simply wander away from it.

Interesting change hull change regarding traders! While I am mostly against such drastic change, you have a fair point though about traders not being able to survive long enough to jump out. Will give this a bash during this week and report back here accordingly.
    Peteris Krisjanis
    Call sign: Eagleboy | Will play: All Online | Federation | Trader and Explorer, with a little of everything else
    Please support call for ED Linux port https://www.change.org/p/frontier-de...-linux-desktop

Interesting proposals.

Improving trader hull values in particular. Dedicated trade ships, IMO, must be survivable particularly if piracy (meaning disabling/stealing cargo) will have improved gameplay. Just my opinion, but I'd rather see traders who resist a pirate suffer more from expensive hull and module repairs, instead of total ship and cargo destruction.

The extra military slots are going to be way too overpowered.

These ships can already reach quite insane amounts of hull points, giving them significantly more health is a step in the wrong direction, in my opinion.

These look like positive changes, (except my beloved courier isn't on the list, boo hoo me )
    Be interesting to see the effects.

Sandro, given you're doing these specific slots would you consider the same for exploration focused ships like the DBS, DBX and Asp Scout? eg. extra slots that can only take scanner types?
    With engineered FSD's all ships with 6 or more slots work better as exploration ships, they could do with some love.

I almost wonder if it would be worth buffing Trade-specific ships' Shields as well. Make them into the cargo-hauling tanks that get the job done.

More than just the hull weakness, how fast those shields blow are a serious problem imo.

Also for military; looks good so far. And damn... this could redefine the Corvette as the big combat ship!

Originally Posted by Beumer View Post (Source)
    The extra military slots are going to be way too overpowered.

These ships can already reach quite insane amounts of hull points, giving them significantly more health is a step in the wrong direction, in my opinion.
    Read: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...-shield-change

Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    Cytoscrambler strength increase
    For those who can get it, we’ve increased the damage output of this weapon. It should now be competitive at shield stripping, even against medium/large size weapons.

We’ve also increased its range, up to 1km, and increased the damage fall off to start at 600m (it was previously starting to drop at 300m).
    I'm not an Archon player, but I still don't understand why the Cytoscrambler doesn't have a 3 km range like all other lasers? It already has a fairly substantial jitter downside, so why does it have a range reduction as well? Its jitter makes it impossible to snipe anything at maximum range anyway.
    In-game: CMDR Vectron

Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    Interesting change hull change regarding traders! While I am mostly against such drastic change, you have a fair point though about traders not being able to survive long enough to jump out. Will give this a bash during this week and report back here accordingly.
    Indeed, my Keelback only has a reinforced hull since I didn't want to compromise speed and jumprange too much and keeping it cheap. But I engineered it with grade 5 heavy duty which in the current game is at 455 health, with the changes it would be too much perhaps considering the price and the SLF capability. Shouldn't complain though, I'll take it

I have. They want to balance PvP. Giving the FAS the ability to get around 5000 hullpoints with added module protection is not balancing pvp, it's creating a FAS hulltank meta.

OHWOW! I remember the "military grade" stuff from previous ELITE games.
    This is pretty HOT! HUBBA HUBBA!

All in all great ideas! Can't wait to try them!

Fer De Lance may get eclipsed by multi-role ships like the Python and FAS for combat purposes, once you consider the shield booster nerf. The FDL has fairly weak base armor and only 5 slots. If it's going to be losing its shields regularly in a fight, then we may have a problem here. Since it will only be good at assassination missions and not so great for CZs.

I would request that you extend the definition of "military" to include ships that pay a high price in jump range and limited internal cargo slots for the express purpose of being a combat focused ship.

All really good changes. Can you provide some numbers? How much are bi-weaves going to be buffed? How much is the Cyto going to be buffed? What changes are going to be done to trader hulls?

Vulture and Conda get same class 5 slots? I hope that's a typo. That's absurd on a small class ship. Vulture should be 2x C3, just like the other ships in that size group.

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast