Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Advice on a journey please

Smile Advice on a journey please

Hi all,
    Some advice please!
    I started a journey to Sag A at the back end of 2014. At that time the pinnacle of my achievement (and still is) was obtaining a Cobra MKII and heading off to Sag A when it was starting to become popular. I then needed to take a break for a while and have recently returned to complete the journey. I'm not even close to Colonia at the moment but remain doggedly determined to complete the journey until someone on my stream mentioned that there are fairly decent ways to make money, use Engineers to boost FTL and all sorts of stuff that make it easier to upgrade my ship... therefore reducing travel time.

In the Cobra my max jump range is about 7LY (I know) but I'm kind of enjoying what I'm doing now.

What would you advise I do? Return to the bubble and earn more cash or continue on the way I am? Your thoughts are very much appreciated!

Thanks.

I'd say it depends on how far out you are. If you're half way there, I'd continue to Sag A* and then swing to Colonia.

It's very easy for the engineers to feel "grindy." Flying all the way back, grinding for materials, data, and crafting for commodities may embitter you.

What's your load out?

Whatever floats your boat but if you have horizons you may feel like clear saving

Originally Posted by Max Torps View Post (Source)
    Hi all,
    Some advice please!
    I started a journey to Sag A at the back end of 2014. At that time the pinnacle of my achievement (and still is) was obtaining a Cobra MKII and heading off to Sag A when it was starting to become popular. I then needed to take a break for a while and have recently returned to complete the journey. I'm not even close to Colonia at the moment but remain doggedly determined to complete the journey until someone on my stream mentioned that there are fairly decent ways to make money, use Engineers to boost FTL and all sorts of stuff that make it easier to upgrade my ship... therefore reducing travel time.

In the Cobra my max jump range is about 7LY (I know) but I'm kind of enjoying what I'm doing now.

What would you advise I do? Return to the bubble and earn more cash or continue on the way I am? Your thoughts are very much appreciated!

Thanks.
    I have an un-engineered Cobra that does 19ly, not sure I would try it with 7ly range, that's like jumping economical all the way there. Stop off at Colonia, I am sure even with the limited stuff they have there you can get it to 12 or 15ly range and that's plenty good enough for a long trip, I did the Colonia Trip in a 17ly python and am now heading back in my Cobra for some stuff you can't get at Jaques.

I would recommend not subjecting the hull to any unnecessary stress factors.

With a 7LY jump range I would self destruct

Respawn in bubble, engineer my FSD, remove all the guns, hull reinforcement packages and other useless equipment, empty the hold of it's cargo of lead and anti-depressants, and start again.

If you're enjoying it, keep on truckin'. If you're not enjoying it, come back to the bubble and head back out later on with a longer jump range.

If you are more than halfway there, I'd suggest you continue. If you make it to Sag A* with a jump range of only 7 lyrs, that must surely be a record, worthy of note, possibly even a mention on Galnet (if you submit it).

Be sure to get screen-shot proof and post it to this thread:
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...s-List-Ver-3-0

I made it in a 32 lyr jump Asp Exp:
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post3598824

I can't imagine trying it with a 7 lyr range. o7

Engineers is an RNG heavy grind. If you don't need it, my advice is not to return. Believe me. I spent the money in engineering and the RNG was pathetic.

I would say keep going - Sag A* and back in a 7LY ship is some doing! Well worthy of a GalNet article on your return... and now I'm wondering what the shortest ranged ship is. Not that I'd ever do Sag A* in it!

Please say that you don't just have a basic scanner as well.

Originally Posted by varonica View Post (Source)
    ...that's like jumping economical all the way there.
    That's what I'm doing in my Clipper now.

There's no rush. Plus it gives me time to work on my Inara logbook.

If you are enjoying what you are doing then keep doing it.

I have to ask though: How far into the journey are you? Early on I made several "attempts" to reach Sgr A* but turned back due to wear and tear and/or hull damage. No shame in heading home and trying again when you are better prepared for the journey.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you're happy, keep doing what you're happy with rather than risking it for something that might or might not work out as good. If you become unhappy, then you can try to fix it when that happens. But no need to jump the gun.

No fun to be found in engineers.. keep doing what you are doin!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last