Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Elite Dangerous 2.1 million units sold

Elite Dangerous 2.1 million units sold

The Group's Elite Dangerous franchise continues to perform well. By the end of December 2016 a total of over 2.1 million paid franchise units had been sold.
    http://www.investegate.co.uk/article...1160700071723U

That sound like they count everyone who have Elite dangerous and Horizon twice as both are one unit.

Frontier seems to be fine

Originally Posted by Thetele View Post (Source)
    That sound like they count everyone who have Elite dangerous and Horizon twice as both are one unit.
    Can't really tell from that. Aanyway, they are doing well at the moment, which is good.

Across all platforms? I expected it would be more than that. Hopefully the PS4 release will bolster the sales nicely. Those guys are still sore from No Man's Sky so it's a good possiblity.

Originally Posted by Commander Biscuit View Post (Source)
    Those guys are still sore from No Man's Sky so it's a good possiblity.
    I checked NMS out and it went the same way as EVE online, dumped. not ED nearly 2 yrs installation time

It still doesn't say whether that is units of the game or units of Elite game and merchandise.

Still good nevertheless.

Originally Posted by Commander Biscuit View Post (Source)
    Across all platforms? I expected it would be more than that. Hopefully the PS4 release will bolster the sales nicely. Those guys are still sore from No Man's Sky so it's a good possiblity.
    I appear to be in the minority of people that actually liked No Man's Sky..

Originally Posted by MarkAusten View Post (Source)
    It still doesn't say whether that is units of the game or units of Elite game and merchandise.

Still good nevertheless.
    So going into nitpick mode:
    For Planet Coaster, they say 'by the end of December over 0.5 million paid units had been sold'
    For ED, they say 'end of December 2016 a total of over 2.1 million paid franchise units had been sold' (emphasis mine)

This makes sense- the only additional merchandise for PC is the music AFAIK. This seems to read that while for PC the 0.5million is game copies, for ED 2.1 million is game copies + all other store items.

The really good news, so to speak, is further down though: 'Revenue for the six months ended 30 November 2016 was approximately 18.1m, an increase of 66% when compared to the first half of last year. We expect to report EBITDA for the period of approximately 5.7m.'

All in all, looks quite solid.

Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    I appear to be in the minority of people that actually liked No Man's Sky..
    So am I

Originally Posted by Fosdyke View Post (Source)
    So am I
    It's definitely a game with many, many flaws, but I liked it for what it was...a random landscape generating system.

I liked the 'learn the languages' aspect.

The space combat was awful and should probably have been avoided.

I'll be interested to see how they develop it.

Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    It's definitely a game with many, many flaws, but I liked it for what it was...a random landscape generating system.

I liked the 'learn the languages' aspect.

The space combat was awful and should probably have been avoided.

I'll be interested to see how they develop it.

Its too bad the landscape it generates is really boring . It's not even a good landscape generator.

I played it a lot for about three weeks while inside knowing it was badly designed and shallow as hell and once i got the ship i wanted (which in itself is such a bad design, i mean ships and how to get them) i logged out and never came back. Well i did later I check out the mods, installed a few, loaded the game to see what it was like with them, but none of them managed to make it actually interesting.

Here's the thing about space games, the designers behind them are generally terrible. Ive played a lot in the past years and i can't think of one where i can say this game is great, Its always yeah there's a lot of good things about the game but...Or it was good for a while, until all the numerous flaws of the game became obvious. Be it ED, NMS, Space engineers, Empyrion, etc...actually i would say the common thread about them is how shallow they are.

Originally Posted by CMDR Cillian Raynor View Post (Source)
    ....some stuff about how terrible ALL space games are....
    Cheer up. All you have to do is wait a few more years and you can add Star Citizen to your list.

Its too bad the landscape it generates is really boring . It's not even a good landscape generator.

I played it a lot for about three weeks while inside knowing it was badly designed and shallow as hell and once i got the ship i wanted (which in itself is such a bad design, i mean ships and how to get them) i logged out and never came back. Well i did later I check out the mods, installed a few, loaded the game to see what it was like with them, but none of them managed to make it actually interesting.

Here's the thing about space games, the designers behind them are generally terrible. Ive played a lot in the past years and i can't think of one where i can say this game is great, Its always yeah there's a lot of good things about the game but...Or it was good for a while, until all the numerous flaws of the game became obvious. Be it ED, NMS, Space engineers, Empyrion, etc...actually i would say the common thread about them is how shallow they are.
    Maybe its a case of modern gamers expecting way too much for way too little, way too soon. For most of the time, people bought a game, had some fun, and called it a good deal. But as games have progressed it has led many people to believe that their Ultimate Fantasy is now finally achievable, whereas in fact it is not. Elite Dangerous as a game is miles beyond anything anyone would have considered possible ten years ago. But now we take all the amazing stuff for granted and go searching for stuff other games have, or our fantasy has, that ED doesn't. Its pointless and only results in needless negativity.

Also, if one would say the same about pizza (I've eaten a lot of pizza, and all pizza-makers are terrible and all pizzas are poorly designed) one may suggest you may actually just not like pizza. It is after all a bit odd to claim you love pizza in general, but have never actually enjoyed any specific pizza.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by Whitehair View Post (Source)
    Cheer up. All you have to do is wait a few more years and you can add Star Citizen to your list.
    SC is a bit of the crown on todays gamers. It feeds off the costant feeling everything should be better, deeper, more exciting, more realistic, more livelier, higher fidelity, bigger gameworlds with everything both handcrafted and PG etc. Its an impossible dream but as long as someone offers it it allows people to be upset about the present when faced with such a glorious future. Ofcourse, as soon as the future becomes the present, the gloriousness will be disappointing. But by then NMS2 or something will be announced, and we can start living in the future once more.

A tad harsh. I thought it did a pretty good job, considering. It could certainly use a bit more variety though - some tall mountains, deep valleys, that sort of thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last