Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newsletter #158

Originally Posted by Warwick Black View Post (Source)
    I miss the "Sneak Peeks" ...
    aaahhh ! the Sneak Peeks" ... Happy days

Originally Posted by Patrick_68000 View Post (Source)
    aaahhh ! the Sneak Peeks" ... Happy days

But let's face it they will never return, niark niark errr, nevermind.

Originally Posted by Aldric View Post (Source)
    Do you have some evidence to back up your statement that " Not everyone visits the forum. Like 90% of the active community " ? On the Dev updates: I add my voice in support of bringing them back, i find the livestreams very childishly presented/overlong/mostly full of hot air.

I am not sure why FD are not saying anything about proper upcoming things for 2.3 etc, but i hope that they have not run out of enthusiasm for this game, i hoped we would have had some news about multicrew and other promised features by now in the newsletters, " newsletters " being the operative word.
    Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    There will be news in the newsletters after the official announcement, with information for the press etc. On the forums: The active playerbase is around 200.000-2500.000 people, with additional 1-2 million inactive. No evidence needed.
    PS, found the source

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    While I am not permitted to reveal too much statistical information of these forums; I can safely say that it's much less than 25%.

While I would absolutely love to see more user interaction here on these forums, we (the moderators and Frontier) cannot force people to continuously browse and always read, register, login time and time again, and post content to these boards. The average registered (and logged in) users on these forums is around 800 to 1,200 - weekends are always higher. During peak, we average around 1,200-1,800, edge peaks are around 2,500 to 3,500. Minimum values range between 400 to 600. As for guests viewing these forums, the values to that are beyond a proper average, you'd be ending up with a massive scatter plot of numbers - with no proper averages or patterns over a months time. Patch days / server events normally cause the largest user spike to these forums. These forums had a maximum peak of 14,049 back on December 16th, 2014.

A common rule known as the 90:9:1 ratio comes into play here. Where in this case, 1% of the community is vocal on official discussion and social mediums, 9% of the player base / actual community that plays a game will register to a discussion medium and maybe post a few times... and the remaining 90%, will just view the forums / social mediums.

There's also the Sturgeon's law. This rule is highly relative to signal:noise ratios. 90% of the content posted is pure "junk"/"crud" while the remaining 10% is actual content. It doesn't exactly apply to discussion forums such at this one, but it does have relation to social mediums such as Reddit.com and Facebook.com.

Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    PS, found the source
    Thanks for taking the time to try to find "Proof" unless i have misunderstood isnt Brett saying that " and the remaining 90%, will just view the forums / social mediums." means that 90% ARE reading the forums ? whilts you were saying that 90% do NOT view the forums ?

Apologies if i have misunderstood.

The last live stream on the BGS was brilliant. Questions answered directly, details given along with some additional info. No faff. I felt my time was well spent when I watched it. Looking forward to more of the same.
    "It had begun with Ben Ryder, who had traded almost exclusively using shot-up pirate ships. Ben had lived life on the edge, and one day, one night, one star year, he had not returned" Ben's Keyboard controls PDF & Quick Start Guide updated 5 August 14

Thanks for taking the time to try to find "Proof" unless i have misunderstood isnt Brett saying that " and the remaining 90%, will just view the forums / social mediums." means that 90% ARE reading the forums ? whilts you were saying that 90% do NOT view the forums ?

Aha, apperentley i did misunderstand, you are both saying that 90% do read the forums.

Sorry, one of those moments of confusion in life... whish i had never said anything now

Originally Posted by Fosdyke View Post (Source)
    But let's face it they will never return, niark niark errr, nevermind.
    Too bad, the peek was always a small event at the end of the week

Originally Posted by Jenner View Post (Source)
    WHERE NO ONE HAS GONE BEFORE
    The 360 brave commanders currently out in the furthest reaches of the cosmos cataloging everything they can before finally accepting their fate and self destructing. We highly recommend youwatch the final address

Watched this evening.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXCO...lopments%20Ltd

Later, found this, thought of these guys, going off to their game-death, but what a glorious way to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcSqI1KZiLI

Fly safe out there, guys. o7

No, the 90% are distributed among forums and social mediums and not reading anything at all. Someone who doesn't have a forum account is very unlikely to visit it every day and learn about news. How many games have you played and how many official forums are / have you been active on?

Love the hand brake turn bad docking maneuver - does your stunt pilot do any other tricks with Coriolis stations?

Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post (Source)
    Whelp another Newsletter with no news about update 2.3.
    I am looking forward to when we get to land on different planets.

I'm flying to Colonia and have passed many volcanic planets. They look beautiful.

I would imagine it wouldn't require much in the way of extra programming to enable that.
    Or certainly nowhere near the extra programming required for a jungle or inhabited planet for example.

Gratz on 2.1M sales! Makes me happy that people still buy Elite and universe grows. Just imagine if everyone was online at the same time, well i guess server would crash, but it would be lively if everyone was in open, just imagine that size where even big stations would be fully occupied.

I'm in the group of players that is constantly angry and frustrated with Frontier.

If everyone was online? The servers can't even handle a minor-patch-release weekend worth of players. We have been told we must accept this p2p crap so that the game can afford to be run on less expensive servers.. Well, it seems their limit is whatever the current simultaneous online user count is.

Not many people on the forum? It's got a draconian think-of-the-children speech policy. The UI is generic. The content gets conglomerated into mega threads whenever possible, which are both unreadable and pointless to all but the person managing the 1st post.

The Newsletters lacking "news". These are not newsletters. These are forum digests. I think what most users want from newsletters is similar to the kind of content star citizen is pushing out to it's players (perhaps less since we're not dealing with SC money here, but more than the silence that NMS provides).

All i want is news that they are chucking that brain vomit excuse for in-game texting chat backend system for LITERALLY ANYTHING else. I'm so sick of chatting not being reliable. Sometimes you can chat, sometimes you can't...sometimes wing comms works, sometimes you have to direct message get it to work (or vice versa) or talk in Local. IN THE SAME INSTANCE to the same person while neither person may have any issue texting other people and the next day everything might be fine. Do we need to setup some kind of subscription or a new kickstarter to get reliable chat in the game?

What happened to this week's Q&A?!?!

Originally Posted by Patrick_68000 View Post (Source)
    Too bad, the peek was always a small event at the end of the week

I agree with you Patrick, these times were really enjoyable.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast