Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A journey to small places

Did Sol always have those dwarf planets and I somehow missed them when I was last there or have they been added since Jan-3301. I really don't remember them...

Originally Posted by iain666 View Post (Source)
    Did Sol always have those dwarf planets and I somehow missed them when I was last there or have they been added since Jan-3301. I really don't remember them...
    Surprise!

Yes they were added in the last big update, 2.2? I think they also changed the permit triton/titan and removed Mimas. So no, you didn't miss them. I was hoping for moon landings (ours) when I first saw them but was disappointed. I am sure we will get some unexpected surprises from 2.3 though, they aren't going to tell us everything.

Excellent, I'll have to go back when I'm next in the bubble then.

Welcome to the stop in our journey around the small bodies of our galaxy. Today we visit the blue place, some of you will recognize it just from that, yes it's Pleione, specifically 3 A. Now I found some volcanism here, just the one field despite traveling back and forth all over the place. Sadly I forgot to check the list of already discovered sites,, which was a mistake, CMDR PanPiper, all hail PanPiper. Anyway I have learnt my lesson and I will check in the future.

Anyway as I mentioned Pleione is rather famous for being very blue due to a blue nebulae and everyone goes there to take pictures of the blue, so I decided to be different.

A metal rich world of 170km radius with iron magma volcanism, to be found at Lat 11.43 ,Lon -32.34 in case you want to see it.

It's definitely squashed to one side,you can tell easily in these pictures

it's well worth visiting for it's blue nebulae and proximity to the gas giant rings, here's another shot;

And the geyser field, it is rather a nice field, densely packed and easily navigated if you want to collect minerals.

Being only 382ly from Sol it ticks many of the boxes, blue nebulae, geysers, gas giant parent with rings, what are you waiting for?

Fly safe people, CMDR Varonica signing out!

This is a great thread
    I am yet to find anything smaller than around 450km
    Nice to see the Type 6

Originally Posted by BaldEagle View Post (Source)
    This is a great thread
    I am yet to find anything smaller than around 450km
    Nice to see the Type 6
    The type 6 is the workhorse of the galaxy, it can do anything

I think I have three or four kitted out for different tasks in different places.

Originally Posted by varonica View Post (Source)
    The type 6 is the workhorse of the galaxy, it can do anything

I think I have three or four kitted out for different tasks in different places.
    I started my exploration career in a Type 6; perhaps after this trip I will try one again for fun ...

Originally Posted by varonica View Post (Source)
    There is only one criteria for my journey, the body in question must be under 200klms in radius, I don't care how far I have to travel to get to it, although the further away ones may take a while to get to. Feel free to send me names and links.
    Found Flyooe Eohn QZ-I c12-3 B 1 recently, some ~3.2kLY from Sol if you happen to be in the vicinity.

Originally Posted by MattG View Post (Source)
    Found Flyooe Eohn QZ-I c12-3 B 1 recently, some ~3.2kLY from Sol if you happen to be in the vicinity.
    Nice, added to my list.

Today we visit the delightful little moon of Kumbou A 1, Kumbou A 1 A.

I spent quite a while there searching for vulcanism, and a very nice sight it was as well;

A nice little metal rich moon of 175km radius, 216ly from Sol,you will find the geysers at Lat -30.35, Lon -174.44;

Again a fairly spherical small world with a slightly distorted profile;

As I said earlier I spent a while there, the better part a weeks playing sessions and by pure chance I did get a really decent picture;

When searching for vulcanism don't give in to easily, by chance most of my visits to Kumbou had all coincided with day on one particular side of the moon, only my last visit, the one where I throw my hands in the air and leave disappointed did I find myself in the dark, so I decided to take a final look at the far side of the moon and the first place I stopped I found the geysers.

That's all for Kumbou, the usual craters and shallow valleys, I am hoping for something spectacular from one of these small bodies one day but for now the geysers will have to do, they were exceptionally active and large compared to many other sites I have seen.

Well hello to my readers, time for another update, which has unfortunately been a while in arriving.

I spent quite a while in the Hyadum I system, those of you who also read the geyser and fumarole thread will have read my report there, quite a few sites scattered across a number of bodies, two of those being under 200km in radius and one that gets an honourable mention for being just 7km to large.

Hyadum I 2 A at 207km gets an honourable mention but unfortunately not a place on the list, the criteria is exacting,but if you visit the Hyadum I system it is worth a visit for the two volcanic sites it has.

Hyadum I 2 B however at only 150km radius is the smallest body I have so far visited, and I must admit I was most impressed, of all the small bodies I have visited the bodies in Hyadum I certainly have more qualities I would associate with small bodies. The surface was sharply defined and rough and although still fairly spherical they didn't give me the impressions of being a large planet scaled down as many of the others did.

Hyadum I 2 B, 161ly from Sol.

There was volcanism and you can find pictures in the other thread, but location is Lat 18.34 Lon 163.96. They are still there in the beta however they seem to have changed colour from the regular game.

Hyadum I 3 A is 189km in radius and had that same small body feel as 2 B, I'mnot 100% sure why the bodies in Hyadum I feel so different,but even the larger bodies, 400km+ have a far more rugged feel.

They don't look very different until you actually get much closer, for instance here is a view of Hyadum I 4 D A, at 400km+ it is way over my criteria, but for feel it's right in there. This shot is probably in the area of 20km up, but it certainly doesn't look like a 400km+ radius planet from 50km above the surface

And finally one really nice shot I got of Hyadum I 3 A;

The timing has to be just right, but when it is it all just works.

Well I am currently kicking rocks around in the beta to see if anything breaks so I am not sure when my next update will be, stand by though, I'll be back!

+1 vRep

Jon
    Type-6E

I found a metal monster, 187 km:

Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post (Source)
    I found a metal monster, 187 km:
    Thanks Watchdog, I have added that to my list, it's a big list so don't panic if I take a while to get to it

Meanwhile HR 745 is calling.

There are two weirdly shaped moons in HR 745, they are not really potatoes though, more just, distorted. They orbit the same primary body and they are respectively HR 745 1 A and 1 B. I A is my new record smallest body at only 145km radius, remarkably enough just pipping my most recent smallest body, yes you guessed it, 1 B at 146km radius. They are both 100% metal so should be twins in just about every way, and they are, except shape.

You can see them both here but it doesn't give you a good idea of the shapes;

1 A;

Yes it looks normal, but then we rotate it 90% and we get this!

Now I'm not sure what physical process could cause a body to be thinner on it's axis of rotation but there we are. Oh yes one nice shot, it's a spoiler for 2.3 though so if you want to hang on for the full release before experiencing anything of 2.3 skip this image.

The solar coronal mass ejections are quite spectacular, specially from really close, you can see the ejected material clearly here and it moves visibly as you watch, you can fly straight through them with no danger of hitting the exclusion zone. Maybe they intendto use it as some sort of fuel super charging in the future, it would be interesting, refuel faster by flying through the mass ejection

Now 1 B,I have to my hat to this one,in a manner of speaking;

With no vulcanism and few large mountains and craters they really were not special except for being almost identical in size and composition and so close together. The primary was a ringed landable body and I managed to get a nice shot of the primary and sun together;

Well that will be me done for maybe two weeks, I am holidaying and may be busy with other holiday type things, but I will be back.

"... Well that will be me done for maybe two weeks, I am holidaying and may be busy with other holiday type things, but I will be back..."

Not good enough ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast