Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Elite Dangerous: Arena Removal From Sale

1. This is the last staff post in this thread. #1

Elite Dangerous: Arena Removal From Sale

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note about Arena below:

'Elite Dangerous: Arena will be removed from sale on Steam, Frontier store, and on the Xbox store. This change is planned for later today.

We’ve been looking at our metrics which suggest that the vast majority of new and regular Arena players tend to play Arena through the main Elite Dangerous client rather than the standalone Arena one. We’ve made the decision to remove the standalone version of Elite Dangerous: Arena in order to reduce the number of builds that have to be maintained and managed across Steam, Xbox One and in 2Q'17 PlayStation Network, as well as clarifying the choices for new players of Elite Dangerous on these storefronts.

Elite Dangerous: Arena continues to be available and supported as part of the wider Elite Dangerous game. Existing and new players that join the Elite Dangerous galaxy will continue to be able to enjoy the fast-paced action of Arena through the main menu. Existing Elite Dangerous: Arena client owners will still be able to enjoy Arena as they have always done.

Not much change but we just wanted to give you a quick heads up, to avoid any confusion.'

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up, Ed. :)

Any chance that we'll ever be able to queue for CQC from the main game? This seems fundamentally similar to the new multicrew lobby.

The major reason I don't play more CQC is that waiting in the CQC lobby for a game is as dull as a staring at a box of nails. If I could queue from my ship while playing the main game, I'd be queued for CQC all the time.

I was half expecting this announcement to be because you'd made the standalone Arena free to anyone, to encourage enough players to make it worthwhile queueing.

Originally Posted by Ziljan View Post (Source)
    Any chance that we'll ever be able to queue for CQC from the main game? This seems fundamentally similar to the new multicrew lobby.

The major reason I don't play more CQC is that waiting in the CQC lobby for a game is as dull as a staring at a box of nails. If I could queue from my ship while playing the main game, I'd be queued for CQC all the time.
    But what if in the moment you get released into a CQC session you already would be under attack (or short before)? Artificial CL then? :P
    You could of course restrict this function to a docking state but would this be so much different than to the current situation?

I'd like to be able to continue to enjoy the action but can never find a match on the few occasions I bother to try any more.......add bots please!

People ALREADY don't play it because it's repetitive, so you up the price? Way to make it harder to play something that is already unpopular.

Not to be a negative nancy... ok, i am being... but any one of us could have told FD years ago this wasn't going to work. People need a reason to play CQC (ie: worthwhile main game benefits) or it needs a very active population with active development.... which FD was clearly never going to muster up for it.

While i do at times wish Ziljan would chill a little on certain topics, this is one thing i do agree with him on. For CQC to actually have an active population, there needs to be some mechanic whereby people can easily get a game.

Oh, and lobbies, where peopel can chat, and set up games of their own. I presume it was initially done with auto match making to try and make it competitive and you later would add ladders and stuff, but that is obviosuly dead in the water, so come on FD, let us make our own matches. Seems like a no-brainer at this point.

Originally Posted by CMDR Dash Rendar View Post (Source)
    People ALREADY don't play it because it's repetitive, so you up the price? Way to make it harder to play something that is already unpopular.
    Read what he said. Basically nobody was buying the standalone version. There are probably costs associated with that. Even if its only maintaining a standalone branch and some sort of Steam tax? There is no price increase, because those who were playing CQC/Arena were already playing it through the main client.

Timely confirmation of a dying feature's last gasps.

If you want to see improved player participation, integrate CQC into the main game. Not just a queuing mechanic, but full integration.

Originally Posted by Edward Lewis View Post (Source)
    Elite Dangerous: Arena continues to be available and supported as part of the wider Elite Dangerous game. Existing and new players that join the Elite Dangerous galaxy will continue to be able to enjoy the fast-paced action of Arena through the main menu. Existing Elite Dangerous: Arena client owners will still be able to enjoy Arena as they have always done.
    Right and if you checked why few people buy/play Arena/CQC, it's because it needs more maps, game modes and most importantly AI/NPCs to fill the lobbies.

Originally Posted by Ziljan View Post (Source)

Seconded. Add CQC to the main-game. So while we play the game we can hop into CQC virtual matches.

It was a good idea. It could have brought players into the main Elite. It should have been free from the start. RIP

Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post (Source)
    Seconded. Add CQC to the main-game. So while we play the game we can hop into CQC virtual matches.
    Again, that's pretty much nonsense if you think a bit further (as I stated above).

Nooo, my hopes of having it disappear from the main game are dashed! :(

I know I'm going against the grain, but those that have no interest in CQC like myself would like to be able to turn off the jarring red rank in the right panel, thanks. Maybe an option added to the function panel? :)

Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    Again, that's pretty much nonsense if you think a bit further (as I stated above).
    The lobbies are empty because there's not enough active players... so to fill the lobbies add AI bots and also make it playable while in the main-game.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast