Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Multicrew Beyond Combat

I think the people who might benefit most from this might be the fuel rats.

You see the odd post from them about situations they have taken on where they have had to deal with some combat scenario, while trying to refuel someone. This could be an excellent use.
    Pilots Licence revoked due to tea-bagging in space dock!

per aspera ad astra

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    Looking at the symbols, things would likely still be limited to four players even if Frontier decided to allow mix&match, so maybe you'd get two ships with two players each, that'd make for six active entities tops (two main ships and four SLFs with any four out of those piloted).

All in all I have the feeling that many people fail to fully realise that multi-crew, just like wings, only gives an advantage to people who decide to play together with others.
    Tis true. I did notice the wing symbols. I just jumped up to picturing the max that a wing of 4 could potentially hold if there wasn't restrictions (which thinking about it now, would turn the wing into a squadron).

Cobra Mk IV: Brigandier
    Viper Mk IV: Heimdal
    Vulture: Weltall
    Python: Weltall-2
    Anaconda: Xenogears

Originally Posted by Blight Born View Post (Source)
    This is how I see it.

1. Multi-crew launches.
    2. No one plays it because of too many glitches.
    3. Multi-crew gets patched (insert obnoxious timeline)
    4. People play multi-crew. Those that like it, dominate. Those that don't, will ignore it.

Some people will like it. Some people will not like it. I think if you don't try it, you can't knock it. If you tried it and don't like it, the game does not force you to play it.
    This sums up this thread entirely

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    It's still worth thinking about some more though, a mothership sporting a bunch of "ship-launched mining vessels" could be fun if profit sharing became a thing.
    Yeah, a SLF with mining lasers would be great! Mine two rocks at the same time!

Originally Posted by Essential NPC View Post (Source)
    Turreted mining lasers. Announced in the stream today, they represent a huge undertaking. Not just for miners, but for the future of Elite. You see, they represent a new era of Elite where the gameplay shifts entirely from the one-pilot, one-ship model that has existed for decades. The game feels more like a living universe than ever before. We have faces, and friends, and we're going to bring those friends with faces onto our ship to go blow up some spaceships.

What else, though? Sure, combat has always been many peoples' bread and butter for games, especially Elite; but Elite has a special community where players like Obsidian Ant, CMDR Josh Hawkins, Chaos Wulff, Dr. Kaii, and many others probe the limits of the other areas of Elite like exploration, trading, PvP, ship building, et cetera. With the latest 2.3 update, it's hard not to imagine how the community will change the game as the game changes the community. Already CMDR Hawkins has announced a YouTube series called "Three Guys One Ship" with co-creators Turjan Starstone and CMDR Shabooka. Not only is it an exciting announcement for fans of their individual productions, but I think it will be exciting to see them push the limits of the game itself in unexpected areas. The new camera system Frontier is introducing in 2.3 seems like a direct result of Elite content creators' wishlists. Which begs the question- how will we the players change the game next? What new exciting features will come for those exploration and trading crews? I don't know about you, but I'm anxious to find out.
    I hate to be the one urinating on anyone's strawberries here but i'm just meh about multicrew, I barely meet anyone in the galaxy as it is im a reclusive explorer holding a walking stick on my ship ill be shouting "gerrrr offff my shiiiipp" to any passing pesky kids.

as long as they don't force me to do It that's fine, its my ship

I can see the appeal for content creators, but I tell you if you sat in my Asp when I took it to beagle you would look like this after 10kly

oh look he's doing another honk and jump yay!! I just can't wait until the next system

if that appeals to you, you're gonna love this site!

http://www.mylivestreams.com/webcam/...cam/10839.html

lol.

I will personally promise you, that MC isn't forced upon you.. Ill eat my controller if it is.. (don't let me down now Gary)

I must say I can't wait for MC to drop as I'm busy saving up some gold to pay for a ticket/seat so I can "simmerin" with my Holome alongside a explorer cmdr for say...a guided tour around SagA!
    Also if anyone fancies a spot of luxury accommodation (drinks included in the price of course) combat as a gunner onboard my FDL... then let's go muliPew and have us some fun .
    "Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space." DA

Definitely meh about the whole multipew thing. It's a gimmick that'll wear thin after a few tries. It's also nothing new, certainly not for anyone who's played Star Citizen, as merely an example.. even taken it's neither a pertinent nor compelling one.. and I've a feeling that FDev are simply jumping on the bandwagon with the implementation if not the original idea behind it.

I found that even though SC is still in early Alpha and quite a way from being a viable product, the multipew thing is far more developed and exciting than that shown in the ED livestream. I'm no big fan of SC...I have it, tried playing it and aside from EvA combat and searching through wrecked ships and stations with a flashlight, still prefer ED for it's excellent flight model and as a game in general.

Multipew mining? Like we really need several manic miners in one cockpit spraying fragments of rock all about the place taking 12 times longer to pick them up with limpets. Anyone who is an experienced miner will know what I mean.

If FDev seriously wanted to improve mining, sort the damned limpets out... make them programmable... make deep space mining something different than every other random ring in the bubble, make asteroid fields yield something that doesn't form in rings.... anything but fill my cockpit with eejits all squawking and firing lasers around like nerf guns at a kids birthday party.

I have a feeling that the addition of mining/exploration modes were merely included to present the illusion that multipew isn't just that alone. From what I saw in the livestream and from the comments by the lead designer, multipew is just that... a bit of 20 minute fun for the casual gamer with his/her mates and with no application for other long term or campaign gameplay outside of a HazRes or CZ.

I also suspect Multipew will fare similar to CQC/Arena after the initial fun and frolics of playing with the new toy... since the mentality behind it's implementation is exactly the same. Anyone who cared to look or listen past the 'new toy' hype could also see that Arena and mutlipew are one and the same idea under different blankets. Neither have any depth nor are they designed by intent to have any.

ED didn't need a change in direction, simply more depth and a bit of meaningful gameplay rather than one more gimmicky clip on game mechanic... multipew will be fun for some, sure; but then so is SC, Battlefield or the upcoming Ghost recon Wildlands with a few mates...with the added attraction of actually having functional legs and being able to interact face to face.

-Xbox Gamertag- Mole HD
    -PC Cmdr- Mole HD (starting it all over again)

Originally Posted by Mole HD View Post (Source)
    Multipew mining? Like we really need several manic miners in one cockpit spraying fragments of rock all about the place taking 12 times longer to pick them up with limpets. Anyone who is an experienced miner will know what I mean.
    I would give it a go in a larger ship where you can have a lot of limpets active (although yes, there are bugs in the limpet path-finding to be fixed).

But I think to make multicrew mining interesting there would need to *real* incentives to team up - currently I'm not seeing any. For example, there should be BIG rewards for mining in HAZRES sites. Obviously it is a very dangerous place to mine, having extra crew on board to mine quickly and execute pirates would make sense.
    Moo!

Originally Posted by mung0 View Post (Source)
    As for the whole 'it's not really elite anymore' thing, that's going to be more & more the case as we go further down the line, with additions such as spacelegs™. When it's for features that people want, they don't seem to mind about that. When it's for a feature you don't really want but aren't really affected by either, no reason to wind up the klaxons.
    Absolutely. Why do many people think they get a say in the design of the game simply because they paid for a copy of it? It IS like the original 1984 Elite in that respect, pay for it and play it!! Simple as that

Originally Posted by Bond00789lol View Post (Source)
    I'm just not a fan of passenger ship design. Also, 2.2 was focused on passenger aspect, and so came the beluga.
    I'm pretty confident the Dolphin was supposed to be part of 2.2 and simply wasn't ready. There may be some new 2.3 ships yet. I'm hopeful.

Originally Posted by UnhappyDev View Post (Source)
    I would give it a go in a larger ship where you can have a lot of limpets active (although yes, there are bugs in the limpet path-finding to be fixed).

But I think to make multicrew mining interesting there would need to *real* incentives to team up - currently I'm not seeing any. For example, there should be BIG rewards for mining in HAZRES sites. Obviously it is a very dangerous place to mine, having extra crew on board to mine quickly and execute pirates would make sense.
    But then... that's not really mining. That's just pew with added mining excuse

Any miner worth their salt would never go near a res site to mine, that's just silly since it's clearly not why res sites exist in ED. Res sites from a game perspective are a pure excuse for pew... nothing more. You can't mine efficiently if you're having to stop ever 30 seconds to kill annoying NPC's... and bollox to the urban myth that there's richer veins of anything in a res, how can you compare if you're primarily fighting pirates and not mining?

-Xbox Gamertag- Mole HD
    -PC Cmdr- Mole HD (starting it all over again)

Originally Posted by Mole HD View Post (Source)
    But then... that's not really mining. That's just pew with added mining excuse

Any miner worth their salt would never go near a res site to mine, that's just silly since it's clearly not why res sites exist in ED. Res sites from a game perspective are a pure excuse for pew... nothing more. You can't mine efficiently if you're having to stop ever 30 seconds to kill annoying NPC's... and bollox to the urban myth that there's richer veins of anything in a res, how can you compare if you're primarily fighting pirates and not mining?
    Well, I've heard varying accounts of the bonuses from mining in RES sites. Some posters insist that that you get more high value asteroids from RES. I've not seen it myself - I've taken a T9 into a HAZRES and was chased out (making frightened cow noises) long before I found anything of value.
    Moo!

Originally Posted by UnhappyDev View Post (Source)
    Well, I've heard varying accounts of the bonuses from mining in RES sites. Some posters insist that that you get more high value asteroids from RES. I've not seen it myself - I've taken a T9 into a HAZRES and was chased out (making frightened cow noises) long before I found anything of value.
    This is what i heard as well.. and surely will try out with MC someday.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast