Thread: Regular Crashing with seemingly no cause.

Regular Crashing with seemingly no cause.

Lately my game has been crashing extremely often. I'd estimate I get maybe two hours of gameplay for every crash. They come without warning, no slowdown, and no apparent in game trigger. At first I thought my having overclocked my GPU may have caused it, but I have since then reverted my GPU to almost stock settings, and definitely within what used to be totally stable, and am still getting regular crashes. Does anyone know a possible reason for this?

What kind of crashes exactly? Game closing to error reporter, "cannot lock a buffer", complete system freeze or shutdown, …?

Also turn your GPU down to stock clocks. Those numbers exist for a reason, and experience has shown that manufacturers don't really design for the clocks they're shipping cards with.

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    What kind of crashes exactly? Game closing to error reporter, "cannot lock a buffer", complete system freeze or shutdown, …?

Also turn your GPU down to stock clocks. Those numbers exist for a reason, and experience has shown that manufacturers don't really design for the clocks they're shipping cards with.
    I find it difficult to believe that overclocking is the issue, since I have run my configuration through multiple stress tests and it's come out perfectly fine. The only game giving it trouble is Elite.

Originally Posted by Tiparium View Post (Source)
    I find it difficult to believe that overclocking is the issue, since I have run my configuration through multiple stress tests and it's come out perfectly fine. The only game giving it trouble is Elite.
    The crashes usually take the form of the game minimizing itself, then being unable to reopen the window. I still get audio, and apparently the game is actually still running, but i don't get any video output.

Originally Posted by Tiparium View Post (Source)
    It's actually a well known issue with ED & certain overclocked cards (EVGA 970's seem to take the brunt of it as do certain AMD cards) as shadowdancer has said, downclocking to stock levels usually clears this up (note the word "to" as opposed to "near" or "almost"). It doesn't occur with all overclocked cards (my own Asus Strix GTX 960 doesn't have this issue) but can be crippling for others without downclocking.

It can be a whole number of other causes however. Stack more than 6 massacre missions & the game will eventually black screen & crash (join an instance where someone has done the same & the effect can happen then too). Outdated drivers can cause crashes as the game moves on, new drivers can cause the same if they haven't been implemented properly. Heat buildup inside the PC is also a prime cause, especially if it hasn't been cleaned in a while.