Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Application] EDJP and EDJPO

[Application] EDJP and EDJPO

(OK, so a slight lie - EDJPO isn't ready yet but I figured it didn't need it's own thread once it is, and will just update this post accordingly.)

EDJP (Elite Dangerous Journal Processor) is a post-play Windows application (as in, it's no real use while you're playing). Current features:

• Generate an AVI of your journey
    • Find ELWs and compile most of the information needed for the List of Earth-like Worlds thread (you'll still need to add a few details though as it's not stored in the journal)
    • Format the generated ELW list output in BBCode for easy pasting into the forum
    • Upload data to EDDN at a time of your choosing, for those who don't use EDD or Captain's Log (or are paranoid about data being uploaded before being sold etc)
    • Find the shortest route between a number of systems
    • Merge journals into a single file and strip unnecessary entries (like chat logs) for uploading to sites like Elite Galaxy Online

General usage instructions for the ELW list can be seen here
    Current version: 0.5.1 (as of 07/08/2018)

ELW List Limitations

So there are a few things EDJP can't (yet) do.
    • System star types - this information if not in the journal at all, so you will still need to gather that from the Galaxy Map
    • For ELWs that already have a First Discoverer, you will need to enter the First Discoverer still as this is also not in the journal
    • If you multi-tag an ELW, this is not in the journal - EDJP will mark you as the First Discoverer if you sold the data, you will need to manually fix it
    • Image upload assumes the first screenshot you take once you discover an ELW is of the system map (and that it happens within 5 mins of the scan). If you don't do this, then don't use the image upload and do it yourself.
    • EDJP isn't psychic - if the ELW has a moon (or moons), it won't know unless you've scanned them. It will determine if the ELW is a moon of something else, but won't know of what unless you scan the parent.
    • It should recognize binary ELWs and trinary ELWs. However, it won't recognize trinary ELWs if there is a fourth ELW present (I'll probably fix this eventually, but it seems like such a remote edge case...). It _should_ recognize the difference between a binary and a standalone ELW together in the same system vs a trinary - but example systems are hard to test this on :)
    • If using Excel, ideally you should highlight the whole spreadsheet and format it to be text before pasting the data in - otherwise it occasionally does things like decide an ELW with ID "4 a" actually means "4:00 AM"...
    • imgur has an API limit - both for EDJP itself and for the user. It means you probably won't be able to upload more than 50 images in an hour using EDJP. If imgur uploading fails for any reason, all further image uploads will be disabled for that run.

That's about it. Even if you don't plan to use EDJP for your uploading and list creation - but you do participate in the List of Earth-Like Worlds, it would be useful to me if you did the EDJP upload as this will in future be used to compliment other projects that I'm also working on.

Please let me know if you have any problems, or discover any bugs. Thanks to marx for helping test it (even if he sometimes doesn't scan moons!)

Sweet!

For those who might need it, here's a quick-and-dirty guide to using EDJP:

1. After you discover an Earth-like, make your first screenshot of the system map info of the planet
    2. If there are moons, scan them even if someone else discovered them (don't be like me!)
    3. After you've finished your play session, run EDJP
    4. Do the "ELW list maker" first
    5. Paste the resulting spreadsheet from your clipboard to your favourite spreadsheet program, edit it, and don't forget to check if the screenshots are fine!
    6. Copy the resulting sheet to your clipboard, then click the "Generate BBCode" button in EDJP
    7. Post the resulting stuff on the forum

Thanks again for making this, Matt!

Nice tool ... can't rep you anymore, so virtual +1

Great idea!! Looking fwd to it saving me quite some time compiling my list if/when I ever make it back from DWE

Nice. Will upload data on my return from this trip in a few months time (7 new ELW so far).

Uploaded from my main's account. Think I did it right (ELW list maker -> Upload ELW system data to EDJP: Enabled > Start). Let me know if the entries for CMDR Thadius Wynter uploaded fine. I won't be using it to generate my submissions (I already have a method I find cathartic), but wanted to submit data if it helps your dev efforts.

Tried to run it for my 2nd account (runs on a different Windows user acct thru runas.exe, so I did the same for EDJP). Note ED was running, though at main menu. Guess the game doesn't let release the write lock on the journal until you exit to desktop entirely. This should be fixable, right?

Error:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignor this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately..

The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\redacted\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Journal.170217131330.01.log' because it is in user by another process.

Details:
    See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\redacted\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Journal.170217131330.01.log' because it is being used by another process.
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path)
    at EliteDangerousJournalProcessor.Form2.<button2_Click>d__6.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(Object state)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    EliteDangerousJournalProcessor
    Assembly Version: 0.1.3.0
    Win32 Version: 0.1.3
    CodeBase: file:///Z:/Downloads/EliteDangerousJournalProcessor.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    EliteTools
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    System.Net.Http
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Net.Http/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Net.Http.dll
    System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    Newtonsoft.Json
    Assembly Version: 9.0.0.0
    Microsoft.CSharp
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1586.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll
    System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
    System.Dynamic
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1586.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll
    Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Should have uploaded about 115 from one CMDR and 270 from the other.

Hit me up on any of the various ED related Discords if needed.

Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post (Source)
    Tried to run it for my 2nd account (runs on a different Windows user acct thru runas.exe, so I did the same for EDJP). Note ED was running, though at main menu. Guess the game doesn't let release the write lock on the journal until you exit to desktop entirely. This should be fixable, right?
    Thanks for that, I'll look into it - should be an easy fix. And yes I saw all your submissions - thanks. Can't rep you, so +1 vrep.

Edit: Uploaded new binary that should fix this.

Originally Posted by MattG View Post (Source)
    [*]System star types - this information if not in the journal at all, so you will still need to gather that from the Galaxy Map
    There's a bit in the source code of the latest version of my hab-zone calculator which makes a simple (sometimes wrong) guess at it based on the star's parameters, if you wanna use that - or I have a more accurate version knocking around somewhere I can dig out which is close to 100% accurate except for certain star types that can't be distinguished (typically stuff like MS giant vs S giant, that sort of thing) if you like.

I hope they add the information to the journals, it is a big miss and would be very helpful.

Originally Posted by Jackie Silver View Post (Source)
    There's a bit in the source code of the latest version of my hab-zone calculator which makes a simple (sometimes wrong) guess at it based on the star's parameters, if you wanna use that - or I have a more accurate version knocking around somewhere I can dig out which is close to 100% accurate except for certain star types that can't be distinguished (typically stuff like MS giant vs S giant, that sort of thing) if you like.

I hope they add the information to the journals, it is a big miss and would be very helpful.
    I've requested the information be added to the Journal, seems like it'd be easy to add to the FSDJump event but I guess it's not something most devs are interested in. We'll see, I guess.

As for the star-type guesser - I'm not sure it'll be useful in EDJP, but I'd be extremely interested in the source code for the more accurate version to use in EDJPO if you manage to dig it out...

Found it - crude, but effective, combines a big empirical set of luminosity bands with guesswork based on the other parameters.

Brilliant, thanks. Can't rep you, so +1 vrep

I've uploaded a new version of EDJP here to fix an issue where FD aren't (or weren't) enclosing the target name in quotes when a player interdicted another player. I guess that's something not too many explorers do, hence not hearing about it until now! . Thanks to Spacebaboy for the report.

Er my Norton AntiVir removes it every time I decompress the file!

Any ideas?

-----

Edit - I got it! Some not very obvious settings were required to get it from quarantine.

I've updated EDJP to version 0.2.0

Besides a bunch of bug fixes, this version has 2 new features:
    * The ability to merge and strip non-relevant information from journals, particularly useful if you upload journals directly to EGO.
    * A route planner that will give you the shortest* route to visit multiple (currently up to 50) systems.

[*] Technically it might not be the actual shortest route - but it'll be pretty close (it's a complex problem!)

Hi Matt,

I just upgraded to the new version, but when I run it an error "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: key" is reported.

Journals to process is set to run everything after 15/10/2017 (I was creating an entry for an ELW I discovered yesterday).
    Auto-upload sysmap to imgur is unticked.
    Upload ELW system data to EDJP is ticked.
    Output is set to Clipboard

EDJP processes the journals but stops with the error before generating the list.
    Once the error dialogue box is closed, EDJP shuts down.

I used the previous version without a problem... any ideas?

Thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast