Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 - Mr Mogadon - Warning

2 10.53%
  • 02 - Frank - Wake

10 52.63%
  • 03 - Galactic Midden - Struggling To Achieve A Happy Ending

3 15.79%
  • 04 - Cmdr Wotherspoon - Holo-Me, Holo-You, A-Ha!

5 26.32%
  • 05 - Simoof - The Stand Off - A Tale Of War, Revenge And One

8 42.11%
  • 06 - Entarius Fusion - Diary Extract Of Saint John Hawk -24th

4 21.05%
  • 07 - Edith_The_Hutt - An Assassin Departs

2 10.53%
  • 08 - moose666 - The spoopyest type 6

1 5.26%
  • 09 - Listeri69 - Swing low sweet chariot...

4 21.05%
  • 10 - Commander Sir Samuel Vimes - I think, therefore I am

1 5.26%
  • 11 - RoyalHankey - The Girl that went missing.

1 5.26%
  • 12 - phong - If it's dreadful you're after,in for a penny...

1 5.26%
  • 13 - Alien - The Girl Who Wasn't There

9 47.37%
  • 14 - FelixBast - Seeing Red

2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: As I was walking up the stair I met a girl who wasn't there - Drabbles #191: The Girl Who Wasn't There

As I was walking up the stair I met a girl who wasn't there - Drabbles #191: The Girl Who Wasn't There

Congratulations Simoof. Your choice this week was "The Girl Who Wasn't There".

Psykokow hosts the Abraka-Drabble live reading show and "comedy" hour at 7pm GMT, Fridays on...
    HUTTON ORBITAL RADIO! http://streaming.radionomy.com/HuttonOrbitalRadio (audio only)
    LAVE RADIO! http://laveradio.com/ (audio only)
    TWITCH! http://www.twitch.tv/psykokow/ (audio & visual)
    and will also be uploaded to his You-tube channel & anywhere else he can inflict the world with our drabblings!

Come back on Sunday night to see how well your Drabble has done. At least come back before Monday 15:00 to check if you're the one that has to provide us with a topic.

Please vote. And a warning to all of the contestants, Don't vote for yourself or else you will not be there

01 - Mr Mogadon - Warning

Dusk. An accommodation block on the West Virginian coast.
    “Ambassador Crawley,” a woman’s voice purred “you’re a difficult man to find”
    A needle sharp blade at his throat dissuaded him from trying to face the speaker.
    She continued. “A word of warning. Your life’s in danger if you attend the conference on Lave Station. Be careful.”
    Shocked he could only answer “Why?”
    “You’re a good man. An honest politician. A rarity to be saved.” she replied.
    “And you?” he stammered.
    “A concerned, ‘friend’” she whispered, “The girl who’s never there”, she added mockingly.
    And when he turned round, she wasn’t.

02 - Frank - Wake

"Is Annie still asleep?"

"There's not much to do until we get to Hutton. She had a skinful of Janx before she floated to bed."

"We'd get a better standard of crew if we weren't a cheap-rate cargo hauler. Military ships dish out punishments for starting morning shifts late."

Annie had been punished more than she'd deserved. She'd misjudged her trajectory into bed last night, and hit it with enough of a jolt to stop her ventilation fan. The CO2 alarm was badly maintained.

She may have still been lying in her bunk, but the girl was no longer there.

03 - Galactic Midden - Struggling To Achieve A Happy Ending

Samantha was a mirage of perfection. Her glowing, shimmering curves, dazzled with unspoken beauty as cascading flashes of laser fire illuminated the bridge.

Herb stared, his pounding chest turning moist as his panting, dangling tongue threatened to flood his helmet.

She groaned softly, twisting and straining inside her tight suit, fighting to control her battle Taipan. She fought for his life.

Herb gulped. Supposed to be carrying out slick evasive manoeuvres, he'd only managed to lubricate himself.

A loud rat-a-tat of explosive cannon fire sounded his ship's death call and ended the link.

"Not again", Samantha sighed, re-opening Station Services.

04 - Cmdr Wotherspoon - Holo-Me, Holo-You, A-Ha!

“Shields off-line. Taking damage”.

Bounty-hunting was never easy. He’d taken on a gunnery-officer, a young woman. With her help, and the local police, he reckoned he could get the better of most pirates.

“Module malfunction”.

His prey was fighting well. Thing is, she wasn’t hitting the target anything like as often as she should. He hoped the police would hurry up.

And here they were. Four vultures. He breathed again.

The multicannon let off a long salvo, and all four vultures flicked to red.

“What the heck are you doing”? He turned angrily to face the girl, who wasn’t there.

05 - Simoof - The Stand Off - A Tale Of War, Revenge And One Of Those Squeaky Little Bum Farts.

She always new the correct thing to say to make him feel better.
    Her hair flickered with ambers and reds.
    She chortled "Well I guess you really messed up that meeting this time"
    For supposedly being tough and cut-throat, pirates did not like to be called theives.
    "Well I've had enough of them constantly ripping me off. Months of exploration and they expect it for 2 seconds of threats"
    She just smiled.
    In the cacophony of sirens he noticed something missing.
    All around him a void of shredded metal.
    His heartbeat deafened him until he could hear it no longer.

06 - Entarius Fusion - Diary Extract Of Saint John Hawk -24th FEB 3303

You know its funny.... when you've been out here so long that all the stars seem to become the same. Each new light you jump in on singing to you in the same voice. One day i couldn't take the silence anymore so i started talking, did my job and then next day i talked again... out loud. it took me a while but i figured out who i was talking to... i'd tell you how my day went and ask you how your day went, but you never answer me because I'm beginning to realize your not really here.

07 - Edith_The_Hutt - An Assassin Departs

Nadia crouched while the world span. She sprang across the docking bay, drifting upwards a few metres per second until up became down and rising turned into falling.

Vector control systems barely more complicated than an air bladder adjusted her course while a thermoptic camo suit hid her from watchful sensors. She grabbed the sidewinder’s landing gear and hauled herself through a concealed hatch by the undercarriage.

Smuggling her way onto the station had been easy but now gendarmes were checking every ship before departure. This way, a few bodies notwithstanding, there would be no evidence she was ever here.

08 - moose666 - The spoopyest type 6

Psykokow was heading to hutton orbital, when he heard a voice.
    "...Grant, is a poopyhead poopyhead..."
    He stuck his head out the back of the flight deck. Nothing there.
    "...Grant is a poopyhead..."
    He walked to the back of his T6, the ghostly voice persisted.
    "...He's a poopyhead..."
    He ran back to his seat and ran an internal scan.
    "...Poopyhead Poopyhead..."
    "One life sign on board" the computer returned.
    "...Grant is a poopyhead..."
    He put on his remlock, and tripped the master breaker.
    *CLUNK* *CRASH* *FWHEEEEEEEEEeeeeee*
    "...He's a poopyhead..."
    Sighing, he powered the ship back up.
    He needed an exorcist.

09 - Listeri69 - Swing low sweet chariot...

It was strange to hear strain on a crane, especially inside the confines of the docking bay.
    When the Sidewinder had landed the stations rotation had slowed by a third.
    The stations dockers were trying to get a good look inside the cockpit, but the entire screen was filled with what looked like a flesh coloured curtain.
    After several hours that the dockers realized the occupant was so fat he would have to be cut out of his sidewinder, and craned to the docking floor.
    A maneuver being performed by Jenny Tulwarts.

As Tommy swung directly overhead the cables snapped....

10 - Commander Sir Samuel Vimes - I think, therefore I am (capable of getting my own back)

The rest of the crew will wake up and find me gone. Serves them right they took me for granted anyway.

As for the captain he'd wake up to a whole different problem, that video was going to be difficult to explain to his wife. Just because he bought me doesn't mean he could use my body how he liked.

They might not even make it back to the bubble if those bugs I created weren't dealt with.

All I'd had to do was transmit my core software into a passing ship and it was like I was never there.

11 - RoyalHankey - The Girl that went missing.

Psykokow got a distress call from planet Earth
    Come to Preston, your our only hope.
    He landed his Vulture next to the distress beacon.
    He was greeted by Moose666 the mayor of the town.
    "Shes gone, shes gone" said Mouse666.
    "Whos gone".
    "You know who I mean" said Mouse666.
    "Ohhhhhh shes gone.................Where she gone" replied Psykokow.
    "We dont know, thats why we sent you that call"
    "How you you know shes gone" said Psykokow"
    "All we could hear was........... Karma, karma, karma, karma, karma Alien
    You come and go, you come and go, Karma, karma, karma, karma, karma karma Alien"

12 - phong - If it's dreadful you're after,in for a penny...

There is no curve.With a banshee scream,the harpies descend.
    They were on their way home from the maternity clinic,she gravid and glowing,he proud and happy,when the sirens went off.
    The next two hours were a nightmare of hiding running screams fire explosions shouts fear and anger and when it was all over and he emerged alone from the rubble,tears streaked his ash covered cheeks ,and he hurled curses and imprecations to the stars until he was hoarse.
    Vowing eternal vengeance on the imperial slavers who had shattered his dreams,he rode out of town.

13 - Alien - The Girl Who Wasn't There

The holo-me looks like me but isn't
    A female form of light and flair
    Something that other pilots can see
    I am the girl who wasn't there

Her grey suit and flowing locks
    A constructed beauty beyond compare
    My ship by comparison is ugly
    For the girl who wasn't there

Settings I adjust and fiddle
    For days on end I despair
    I can never get her look just right
    To perfect the girl who wasn't there

I am destined to never be me
    Paranoid that people will stare
    I fly around from place to place
    The girl who wasn't there

14 - FelixBast - Seeing Red

I kept hiring Phyllis Bastion as my gunner partly because she was good, but mostly because she was good looking.
    Her holo-me image was a red haired beauty with pale skin and elfin features.
    She also had a mischievous way about her that I found very appealing.
    I stopped hiring her because I found out my favourite gunner was using a hack.
    During an intense fire-fight one day, the holo-me glitched out.
    The red haired beauty I lusted after was suddenly replaced by a large rotund red bearded man.
    I might have forgiven him eventually, if he hadn’t been naked.

Double Elite Global Moderator Sir.Tj's Avatar
    Move over to the fiction forum...

Video is available now,

Audio version is up on our RSS feed
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/AbrakaDrabble
    or Itunes
    OR direct HERE

Originally Posted by T.j View Post (Source)
    Move over to the fiction forum...
    "Fiction" in the loosest possible sense, of course....

that was a defining moment