Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Trappist-1 Discovery's Impact on Elite Dangerous

Originally Posted by Mysturji View Post (Source)
    I started downloading the SECOND 2.3 was available. I have decent broadband - the download took 34 minutes.
    I had parked my Explorasp in the core sys whatever system that became Trappist-1 in 2.3, and had a pre-plotted route to a systrem 25 LY away, with a station about 23 LS from the main star.
    I logged in and spawned in the Trappist-1 system, and ALREADY every body had been tagged.
    Well, saved me a trip anyway...

Originally Posted by Mysturji View Post (Source)
    I started downloading the SECOND 2.3 was available. I have decent broadband - the download took 34 minutes.
    I had parked my Explorasp in the core sys whatever system that became Trappist-1 in 2.3, and had a pre-plotted route to a systrem 25 LY away, with a station about 23 LS from the main star.
    I logged in and spawned in the Trappist-1 system, and ALREADY every body had been tagged.
    I believe that they just renamed the system and re-arranged the planets. Whoever discovered it under the older name is still the original discoverer.
    Cmdr Kantos Kan, Trader, Explorer and occasional Bounty Hunter

Sounds right. I was thinking exactly the same thing.
    CMDR Richard Voorheez

Oh well, went there and scanned everything anyway, just for fun. Turns out it was just a couple jumps away from my home system with my DBX's ridiculous 50 ly jump range.

Just on my visit there and I find that the inclinations of the planets are wrong.
    Inclination of all planets is more or less 89 degree according to Wikipedia. This is the screenshot with inclination differences of about 90 degrees between the orbits:
    Name:  trappist-1.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  73.3 KB

Originally Posted by CMDR Kantos Kan View Post (Source)
    I believe that they just renamed the system and re-arranged the planets. Whoever discovered it under the older name is still the original discoverer.
    I had scanned it previously, and only the star and some of the planets showed up with names when I logged in. The ELW is brand new, and at least one other.
    FOUNDER! (She was hiding in the ring system.)

Combat: Dangerous
    Trade: Tycoon
    Exploration: Elite (The old fashioned way)
    Federation: Lieutenant
    Empire: Viscount
    Mosquito: Mostly Annoying

how does stellar forge update?

Since Stellar Forge was created using the estimated mass of the galaxy, with currently understood models of astrophysics, with real known celestial data, to create an approximation to populate the rest of the galaxy... every time that real life astronomy and astrophysics has an update the Frontier team will put that into Stellar Forge? Will they update their algorithms based upon modified scientific principles as well? When they replace the approximations with the newly discovered actual data, will the entire rest of Stellar Forge then recalculate the entire galaxy? And by doing so little by little make the simulation closer and closer to a more accurate prediction of the real galaxy?

Can Frontier add the capability of E players to use the actual astronomical observations from real life observatories, et al, to do actual scientific processing to help find more systems and exoplanets in real life? This could be something else that can be done while jumping for an hour to get to some destination.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112