Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Locations Feedback Thread

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #121
    Lead Games Designer
    Frontier Developments

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of your feedback, it is very much appreciated. Apologies for not getting in here sooner, as you can imagine it's very busy here.

I just want to let you know that your feedback has been heard and we are as keen to get these locations fully fleshed out as you guys are. We don't want these to be just a pretty location to visit once.
    We have read every single post in this thread and made a note of all the suggested gameplay for these locations.
    I'm in full agreement with you that these locations needs more meaningful interactions and links to other areas of the game. I will be doing everything I can go make these locations what we originally envisioned them to be. Much of our planned gameplay for these sites has been slightly delayed due to several reasons I can't go into, but we hope to implement them in the future. These included some of your suggestions already and now include some others from this thread like docking.

As many of you know, we tend to implement these things in stages for various reasons. Now that we have the key installation types in place, we are now in a position to work on the deeper gameplay.
    As for the reason this has not been completed already for 2.3, all I can say is that sometimes priorities have to be changed and we don't get to implement everything we originally intended got the first iteration of a piece of content.
    We are looking again at the priority of these locations based on your highly constructive feedback. Some of this work is easier than others and we might be able to get to it quicker than currently planned, to give you guys more reason to visit these locations and more meaningful actions to do when you are there. Some however are more long term and we will get to them as quickly as we can.

Thanks for your continued support and we hope to continue to improve the installations and other locations soon.

Sincerely

Steve K
    --Steve

Originally Posted by Steve Kirby View Post (Source)
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of your feedback, it is very much appreciated. Apologies for not getting in here sooner, as you can imagine it's very busy here.

I just want to let you know that your feedback has been heard and we are as keen to get these locations fully fleshed out as you guys are. We don't want these to be just a pretty location to visit once.
    We have read every single post in this thread and made a note of all the suggested gameplay for these locations.
    I'm in full agreement with you that these locations needs more meaningful interactions and links to other areas of the game. I will be doing everything I can go make these locations what we originally envisioned them to be. Much of our planned gameplay for these sites has been slightly delayed due to several reasons I can't go into, but we hope to implement them in the future. These included some of your suggestions already and now include some others from this thread like docking.

As many of you know, we tend to implement these things in stages for various reasons. Now that we have the key installation types in place, we are now in a position to work on the deeper gameplay.
    As for the reason this has not been completed already for 2.3, all I can say is that sometimes priorities have to be changed and we don't get to implement everything we originally intended got the first iteration of a piece of content.
    We are looking again at the priority of these locations based on your highly constructive feedback. Some of this work is easier than others and we might be able to get to it quicker than currently planned, to give you guys more reason to visit these locations and more meaningful actions to do when you are there. Some however are more long term and we will get to them as quickly as we can.

Thanks for your continued support and we hope to continue to improve the installations and other locations soon.

Sincerely

Steve K
    Great to hear and thanks for posting Steve! Good news for the future.

(click this image to discover the best of the forum)

Very positive answer to my eyes !

Thanks a lot for planning information and the content we could expect in a near future.
    My Exploration albums : http://sensai25.imgur.com/

Cheers Steve, a little information goes a long way

Hi Guys,

Sincerely

Steve K
    Thanks Steve, really appreciate the transparency.

Just as a thought though - not really a criticism, more a concern - isn't there a danger that by introducing locations without meaningful interaction that the novelty of the new feature will have worn out by the time the interaction does come? That is to say, once players have visited the new content and not found a great deal to do, will there be a reduced impetus to return to see the new content later? Obviously you guys have a policy of incremental additionst, but is there a danger that the "familiarity breeds contempt" feeling will set into this content before the interactions are in place?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of your feedback, it is very much appreciated. Apologies for not getting in here sooner, as you can imagine it's very busy here. /snip
    Thanks for posting, good stuff!

Staged approach seems sensible in such a big and complex game as Elite (I say that an amateur, contrary to many "experts" on these forums, I am not a developer or programmer ).

7. This is the last staff post in this thread. #127
    Lead Games Designer
    Frontier Developments

Originally Posted by holdmykidney View Post (Source)

Just as a thought though - not really a criticism, more a concern - isn't there a danger that by introducing locations without meaningful interaction that the novelty of the new feature will have worn out by the time the interaction does come? That is to say, once players have visited the new content and not found a great deal to do, will there be a reduced impetus to return to see the new content later? Obviously you guys have a policy of incremental additionst, but is there a danger that the "familiarity breeds contempt" feeling will set into this content before the interactions are in place?
    It is a concern and one we take seriously. I for one want everything that goes out to have meaningful interactions and gameplay in at first release. But it is not always possible. Sometimes it is felt that getting things to you guys earlier but in need of iteration is the best route. All I can say is we will keep working on it and making Elite better and better.

Thanks

Steve K
    --Steve

Not sure if it has been mentioned already, but please consider linking these new installations or mega ships to actual effects within the Background Simulation and/or Powerplay mechanics. There are a number of ways these new places can do that and where players could use them.

- Mega ships / Installations offer bonus of some kind to the jurisdiction they are under (Enhanced BGS or PP missions impact, repair, security, economic boosts, prices, availability of certain ships/modules, etc etc etc)
    - Faction or PP related missions can be used to direct and change their location (in system and to other systems), so players can use them as a sort of spearhead for expansions or other BGS/PP activity. This can create interesting emergent gameplay as player factions or powers compete for their control
    - Control of the installation/mega ship by a fatcion or Power. Create game mechanics that allow the establishment of a player fatcion or power to be in control, and make that control subject to opposition and change depending on results of missions etc.

Etc

It is a concern and one we take seriously. I for one want everything that goes out to have meaningful interactions and gameplay in at first release. But it is not always possible. Sometimes it is felt that getting things to you guys earlier but in need of iteration is the best route. All I can say is we will keep working on it and making Elite better and better.

Thanks

Steve K
    Well all I can say is that the existing installations made an absolutely superb backdrop for "Tunnel Vision" and the new installations will no doubt be witness to further Buckyball mayhem when "Tunnel Vision #2" returns later in the year.

And for that I thank you!

(click this image to discover the best of the forum)

Originally Posted by holdmykidney View Post (Source)

True, but I guess there's always the flip side when people say (and I'm sure we've all seen something similar) "How hard can it be for Frontier just to give us some different types of installations to fly around?"

Thanks

Steve K
    Hi Steve,

Just let you know. I am not a beta tester.

I haven't gone to any of the installation added in 2.2 because there is nothing to do there.

What the player needs is WHAT to do, not HOW to do it.

In terms of what to do, the season 2 actually only gives us new gameplay on the planet.

Sure, we have engineer, SLF in 2.1 and 2.2.

But we have been playing in the same old RES, CZ for a very very long time.
    Combat is almost the same as Season 1. Mining is the same. Trading is the same. Exploring is the same.

Would you devs please add some meaningful gameplay at least for combat? Maybe some objective base combat zone?

I was hoping to have combat scenario in the new installation since 2.2 was launched. But I am disappointed that it doesn't happen in 2.3.

Nevertheless, keep up with the good work. You guys have our full support.

Originally Posted by Viajero View Post (Source)
    Not sure if it has been mentioned already, but please consider linking these new installations or mega ships to actual effects within the Background Simulation and/or Powerplay mechanics. There are a number of ways these new places can do that and where players could use them.

- Mega ships / Installations offer bonus of some kind to the jurisdiction they are under (Enhanced BGS or PP missions impact, repair, security, economic boosts, prices, availability of certain ships/modules, etc etc etc)
    - Faction or PP related missions can be used to direct and change their location (in system and to other systems), so players can use them as a sort of spearhead for expansions or other BGS/PP activity. This can create interesting emergent gameplay as player factions or powers compete for their control
    - Control of the installation/mega ship by a fatcion or Power. Create game mechanics that allow the establishment of a player fatcion or power to be in control, and make that control subject to opposition and change depending on results of missions etc.

Etc
    A few similar ideas I had:

Chance of Megaship spawning due to system state is higher if the system is large pop or famous.

Boom
    Can spawn multiple Megaships in supercruise or at stations. Tend to be cargo / fuel / mining (spawned at a res site).

Bust
    No Megaship spawned.

Outbreak
    Spawns a medical or agricultural ship in supercruise or around a station.

Lockdown
    Larger/high pop systems could spawn a Megaship/Capital Ship at the station to act as extra defense. Megaship/Capital ship can spawn at Nav Beacon.

Civil Unrest
    Civil Unrest stations have their weapons disabled and they become combat zones (station services still works). Larger/high pop systems could spawn a Megaship/Capital Ship at the station to act as defense. High chance of finding Megaship "Distress Call" Signal Sources.

War / Civil War
    Larger/high pop systems could spawn a Megaship/Capital Ship at the station to act as defense. High chance of finding Megaship "Distress Call" Signal Sources.

Election
    Spawns Tourist or Luxury Megaship at systems main station.

Expansion
    100% chance to spawn a dockable Megaship in supercruise in the expansion system. This Megaship would offer missions only for the expanding faction.

Retreat
    No Megaship spawned.

Famine
    Spawns a medical or agricultural ship in supercruise or around a station
    Down Tempo, Ambient Electronic - Planet Bliss

Really appreciated Steve. Thanks for the heads up.

Can't wait to discover what you have in your sleeves at FDEV.
    Star Citisn't - "Game development is a troubled non-linear mess of fluid"

Thanks

Steve K
    Good to hear. I hope we get more meaningful interactions with update 2.4.

Hi Guys,

Sincerely

Steve K
    Thank you, exactly what i wanted to hear.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast