Thread: Google Code Verification

Google Code Verification

I've enabled the google code verification. Here is my feedback:

1) When accessing the forum for the first time with a deep link (e.g. going to a specific forum post) that URL is not used for redirecting after the code was successfully validated. Please, use that url. At the moment I have to click, enter the code, get back and click the URL again. Its cumbersome.

2) When using a mobile phone, the forum pages are optimized for mobile use. For entering the verification code I have to switch to desktop view, and after code verification back again. Its cumbersome, too.

3) I personally would prefer if the redirection would get you immediately to the targeted URL - without any delay (not showing "code accepted" or whatever it says). If the code is wrong, such a display and delay is fine. But not if is ok.

4) Google presents the codes in packets of 3 digits. If you enter them as shown (with a blank in-between) you do not accept the code. That can be confusing to new users. Please, accept (remove internally) blanks from the input.

5) If you entered an incorrect code there is no (obvious) way to get back to the input field again. Here I would prefer that the same page (code entry) would be displayed with the error message below, so one could try again.

I think the two-step authentication was a mistake from the start, tbh. So many problems with it.

And in my eyes it's unnecessary. Or at least I can't see any real reason for it.
    It's not a bank or game account. If I want more security and no interference with other stuff, I can just use a different email and different password than everywhere else and I'm golden. I would accept it if the Forum account was linked with our Frontier account, probably, but like this, it's nuts.

Btw. a rule no. 1 with basically any Forum is: Don't use a mobile version of the Forum. IMHO

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    I think the two-step authentication was a mistake from the start, tbh. So many problems with it.

And in my eyes it's unnecessary. Or at least I can't see any real reason for it.
    It's not a bank or game account. If I want more security and no interference with other stuff, I can just use a different email and different password than everywhere else and I'm golden. I would accept it if the Forum account was linked with our Frontier account, probably, but like this, it's nuts.

Btw. a rule no. 1 with basically any Forum is: Don't use a mobile version of the Forum. IMHO
    Well... yes and no. I once had an issue when (on another site) my account was hacked and that person posted nasty things in my name. So I do prefer a little more protection. But there are other ways around it in those cases.
    An issue I've not mentioned is that you can come back within ~24h using the same browser and you are not asked for the code. There are two types of cookies and they probably used the wrong one.