Thread: New player, some Qs: Trading / Powerplay.

New player, some Qs: Trading / Powerplay.

Hi guys!

New player here, have some questions:

1) How do you know where to buy some goods?, maps says if the station is a refinery / colony / etc. but doesnt says what do they sell.
    2) Powerplay: i aligned myself with the Empress, i am rank 1 merits 0 IIRC (the basic one), What missions / or what do i have to do to increase the rank?
    3) In bases, there is some contact regarding powerplay...it seems cant do anything with that option.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Cmdr!

1. When I started play at release day it was even harder. I made my own little profit finder in Atari basic, typed in several market places and let the program compare all items and prices to tell me what to buy and where to sell.

2. Forget about powerplay. Especially as a player you will experience more trouble than benefits by being pledged to a power.

3. Not sure what you mean exactly.

Hello and welcome!

1. There are two ways hard and easy.
    Hard way (but the true trader's way) - If you open a system map (If you have data on the system), switch to second tab and mouse-over the station, you will see what they are importing and exporting (and also what is illegal, there) That can give you a rough idea. When you land on a station and go to the market, your trade computer will update with their commodities. Then you can open a Galaxy map and explore the filters. You will see lines of different colours going in and out of the system and you can filter the commodities you are interested in. As you are traveling around, you will start to build your database.
    Easy way - go to eddb.io

2. First, if you are a new player, it may be a good idea to wait a bit with the powerplay stuff.
    Second, you can gain merits by undermining enemy factions, preparing new systems or fortifying existing control systems of your faction. If you really want to pursue this career, I'd recommend going to https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteLavigny/ and start coordinating with fellow imperials.

3. You will understand when you start doing the powerplay.

Welcome from me also

1. You will soon get to know what commodities are made and in demand at the different economies. There was an infographic for this but I think it was only pre-horizons so not complete. There are third-party websites with info to help you trade - I use Thrudds ( http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/ ) but there are others as well as tools to build your own database.

2. I too would recommend you un-pledge and only get into powerplay when you have a fuller grip on things.

3. as Chris says.

Main thing is, keep enjoying yourself.

Old infographic (it's BIG):

The Empress is not really going to help you. Go to her page and look at the "rating" tab. There you will see what bonuses you get for holding the various ranks. She offers nothing for level 1, a bonus on influence for level 2 and the Prismatic shields for level 3. To get merit points, you have to go to her HQ and carry tons of her special data or something to any of her control systems. You get the stuff from your power contact in the HQ. The first 10 tons are free and you get 10 more free tons after 30 minutes, so it will take you 5 hours to do level 2 without cost, or you can pay for the stuff to fast-track it, which is relatively expensive for a noob (900k). Anything you do to get her rank doesn't count until the Thursday after. The Empresses prismatic shields are totally worth it, but you have to hold level 3 for 4 weeks which will cost about 30 million and you need the ships to put them on and the money to buy the shields.

If you look at Edmund, he gives a 20% bonus on trade profits, which is useful. Zachary Hudson pays a 20% bonus on bounties collected in his systems, which is well worth having if you become a bounty hunter. As a bounty hunter, you'd be making about a million an hour when you start in the basic Sidewinder. Within a couple of days, you should be up to 3 million an hour so you'd get back from him 600K every hour, compared with the 900k you have to spend to carry his supplies from Nanomam to Groombridge whatever. That's a good return on your investment. I often use ZH to get a kickstart when I start a new commander and go bounty hunting.

Yuri gives a bonus on exploration data, so if you'd been on a long trip and got millions worth of data, it could be worth signing up with him and getting level 2, then handing in your data on the following Thursday to get an extra 5%.

Basically, it's a good idea to choose a power that is going to give you something worthwhile for what you do.

Regarding your last question, you can normally get or deliver some sort of powerplay supplies from your PP contact, but it depends where you are and what you're doing. You can prepare, expand or fortify your power. Each tab on the PP page will explain what you have to do.

All things considered, unless you decide to be a bounty hunter or explorer, PP is probably best left until later in the game.
    Trade Rank: Elite Explorer Rank: Elite Combat Rank: Elite Federal Navy Rank: Admiral Imperial Navy Rank: King Crew Rank: Elite Kills: 91768

Originally Posted by MalcYorks View Post (Source)
    Welcome from me also

1. You will soon get to know what commodities are made and in demand at the different economies. There was an infographic for this but I think it was only pre-horizons so not complete. There are third-party websites with info to help you trade - I use Thrudds ( http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/ ) but there are others as well as tools to build your own database.

2. I too would recommend you un-pledge and only get into powerplay when you have a fuller grip on things.

3. as Chris says.

Main thing is, keep enjoying yourself.

Old infographic (it's BIG):

You weren't lyin' on that being BIG! But thanks!

Originally Posted by MrGreen13 View Post (Source)
    You weren't lyin' on that being BIG! But thanks!
    That's Malc for ya.

THanks CMDRs!

Welcome ! Commander. And fly safe

You don't need to be pledged to a power to gain some advantages, it's worth checking out this reddit post. A little old but am mostly confident it still applies

also a good slide show explaining in greater detail the workings of Power Play

Edit: good example is me buying the Imperial Cutter 3-4 days ago in the Harm system with a 15% discount, i'm not pledged or associated with Li Yong-Rui, but i'll take the 31 million discount. you can get most class A's (hehe) just a system or two over as well (modules come with the same discount, just make sure the system is controlled by Li Yong Rui, not sure if exploited has the same effect)
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

I would guess at least 80 percent of the commanders in this game ignore PP totally. To complicated, to messy and really borked.

Just my opinion, YMMV
    Caliber_az