Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Insta-Fail Missions appear to be fixed

Insta-Fail Missions appear to be fixed

After complaining about it for quite some time, it appears the insta-fail mission bug may have finally been squashed! A post from Dominic late last week indicated that some server side code was updated to address the issue.

All I can say is that after some major time spent grinding "you know where" yesterday (8 hrs or more) - I didn't get a single insta-fail mission!

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Originally Posted by evanevery View Post (Source)
    After complaining about it for quite some time, it appears the insta-fail mission bug may have finally been squashed! A post from Dominic late last week indicated that some server side code was updated to address the issue.

All I can say is that after some major time spent grinding "you know where" yesterday (8 hrs or more) - I didn't get a single insta-fail mission!

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
    I've still been encountering this as recently as yesterday. So no, not fixed yet.

There does seem to be some interaction with having your material or data inventories full as I noticed that the bug happened more often when either inventory was full and seemed be less likely otherwise, although the bugs did still occur even when I had inventory space for both mats/data.

ASUS G75VX ROG Laptop, i7 3630QM CPU, 12 GB RAM, NVIDIA 670MX GPU, VA2323wm Monitor, Z313 Speakers, ISKU FX Keyboard, T-Flight HOTAS, WIN10, DX12
    Having trouble finding Modified Embedded Firmware or other data? Try Devari and Djadjok's Medium Security Settlement List and Guide located at https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...edded-Firmware Overcharged multicannons for everyone!

Nope just happened to me 5 mins ago!!! GRRrrrrrrrrrrrr!

"The probability of success is difficult to estimate; but if we never search the chance of success is zero"

This weekend completed about 500 mission and no insta mission fail!

Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post (Source)
    This weekend completed about 500 mission and no insta mission fail!
    five hundred?!?!?!?
    What do explorers want?
    An improved scanner suite like these! http://imgur.com/a/3Em6c

6. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #6
    Originally Posted by Devari View Post (Source)
    I've still been encountering this as recently as yesterday. So no, not fixed yet.

There does seem to be some interaction with having your material or data inventories full as I noticed that the bug happened more often when either inventory was full and seemed be less likely otherwise, although the bugs did still occur even when I had inventory space for both mats/data.
    Hi there,

No, I can categorically state there is no interaction between your inventory and instant failure of missions.

I've seen a few reports that it is still happening, but they seem far less frequent than before, so it looks like what I changed last week has helped but has not fixed every instance.

We know what is going wrong but not exactly why it is, but I am still actively investigating.

Thanks,
    Dom

Originally Posted by Dominic Corner View Post (Source)
    We know what is going wrong but not exactly why it is
    Ah, but I know too well this is no worse than when something does work and you don't know why...

"But...that's not supposed to...where are the errors..."
    "Please replace these components if use causes fatal damage: HEAT SINK. MAGAZINE. OPERATOR"

---The StiTch! who mended the powerplant mid air---

Sometimes when purchasing a module for a ship I get an error message and then am dropped out of Outfitting. Happens when I do it fast. Do it slow and no problem. I wonder if the fast/slow is also related to the mission failures...and I haven't seen a failure in weeks.

From what I observed, so far it seems to be a problem with a server sided update of the mission board while you are still seeing the old missions.
    Maybe the target NPC where you'll get your rewards is no longer valid while you accept the mission since sometimes not only the mission fails but you will instantly get an empty mission update notification from an unknown NPC.

I guess I'm sorry to hear it hasn't been completely fixed. My experience has been very good. I spent A LOT of time grinding in some very popular areas this weekend and didn't see a single mission failure. That's a massive improvement in any case!

I also see a bit of a change on how missions are being handed out and refreshed on the boards. The boards don't seem to refresh as often and I'm only seeing it minimally worthwhile to refresh the board once (after taking some missions). I'm guessing that's related to the "fix"... ;-)

11. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #11
    Originally Posted by evanevery View Post (Source)
    I guess I'm sorry to hear it hasn't been completely fixed. My experience has been very good. I spent A LOT of time grinding in some very popular areas this weekend and didn't see a single mission failure. That's a massive improvement in any case!

I also see a bit of a change on how missions are being handed out and refreshed on the boards. The boards don't seem to refresh as often and I'm only seeing it minimally worthwhile to refresh the board once (after taking some missions). I'm guessing that's related to the "fix"... ;-)
    Hi there,

No, as we did this on the live servers we tried to make as few changes as possible, so as to minimise the risk.

Consequently, we've not changed anything to do with mission generation or reroll times.

Thanks,
    Dom

Hi there,

No, as we did this on the live servers we tried to make as few changes as possible, so as to minimise the risk.

Consequently, we've not changed anything to do with mission generation or reroll times.

Thanks,
    Dom
    That's good troubleshooting. I haven't had an insta-fail mission all weekend, so it's certainly improving.

But I've noticed the change in mission rerolls when leaving the mission screen and returning. It used to go through another screen reload delay and sometimes, new missions would appear the first time I would do this. Over the weekend, I saw the mission screen pop back up almost instantly a lot of times. It might just be coincidence.

13. This is the last staff post in this thread. #13
    Originally Posted by bubbabenali View Post (Source)
    From what I observed, so far it seems to be a problem with a server sided update of the mission board while you are still seeing the old missions.
    Maybe the target NPC where you'll get your rewards is no longer valid while you accept the mission since sometimes not only the mission fails but you will instantly get an empty mission update notification from an unknown NPC.
    Hi there,

That's essentially it, yes.

Every time we try to generate a mission we have to ask for the mission template. Obviously, asking the webserver every time would be expensive and a little silly, so we maintain a cache.

When we check with our template cache to see if we've already got the mission template, we also check how long ago we last grabbed it from the webserver. If it is past a certain time frame, then we request a new template from the webserver, anyway.

The issue arose when we requested an update to the mission template from the server but we already had missions generated with the previous template data.

Whilst the mission itself said it was using the latest data, there was a bug further down the chain which meant some of the things within the mission were not getting the update and so they behaved incorrectly.

The most obvious side-effect of this was the timers all being read out as 0 (the default)... which meant your mission timed out as soon as you were given it.

If the failure route would send you an inbox message, it also sent you that... with all the data set to the default (Blank message, skull icon, hidden contact, etc.)...

Thanks,
    Dom

We know what is going wrong but not exactly why it is, but I am still actively investigating.
    How do you eat an elephant? Dom knows.

One bite at a time

Hi there,

That's essentially it, yes.

Every time we try to generate a mission we have to ask for the mission template. Obviously, asking the webserver every time would be expensive and a little silly, so we maintain a cache.

When we check with our template cache to see if we've already got the mission template, we also check how long ago we last grabbed it from the webserver. If it is past a certain time frame, then we request a new template from the webserver, anyway.

The issue arose when we requested an update to the mission template from the server but we already had missions generated with the previous template data.

Whilst the mission itself said it was using the latest data, there was a bug further down the chain which meant some of the things within the mission were not getting the update and so they behaved incorrectly.

The most obvious side-effect of this was the timers all being read out as 0 (the default)... which meant your mission timed out as soon as you were given it.

If the failure route would send you an inbox message, it also sent you that... with all the data set to the default (Blank message, skull icon, hidden contact, etc.)...

Thanks,
    Dom
    Thanks for the update, Dom! It's always great to see the troubleshooting progress for this kind of issue, and it does seem to be getting better as you work on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast