Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: 16-Core / 32-thread Ryzen (OMG, OMG,OMG...)

  1. #1

    16-Core / 32-thread Ryzen (OMG, OMG,OMG...)

    Title says it all. There's a possibility the X399 series RyZen CPU with 16-cores will soon be reality.

    https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu...re_ryzen_cpu/1

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Great for those running servers and workstations, but I just hope it doesn't go the way of the 1800x and have people with the wrong use-cases buying it.

  4. #4
    And certainly a motherboard with two sockets also

  5. #5
    Christ almighty - who cares?

    Servers are Intel. Business expects this and is about as likely to switch to AMD as they are to migrate their desktop environment from Windows to Linux.

    Very apt example, actually.

    The best thing AMD can do right now is shoot their market strategists a quick dismissal email. This is appallingly, hillary Clinton style, poor campaigning.

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by Noddie View Post (Source)
    Christ almighty - who cares?

    Servers are Intel. Business expects this and is about as likely to switch to AMD as they are to migrate their desktop environment from Windows to Linux.

    Very apt example, actually.
    . Every
    The best thing AMD can do right now is shoot their market strategists a quick dismissal email. This is appallingly, hillary Clinton style, poor campaigning.
    Right.. they're doing exactly everything the shouldn't be doing. they need something revolutionary to capture the high end market, like same performance at half the power consumption (like they did back in the netburst days) Everything Ryzen is so far yawnfest, only exciting repressed AMD phanbois.

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by Noddie View Post (Source)
    Christ almighty - who cares?

    Servers are Intel. Business expects this and is about as likely to switch to AMD as they are to migrate their desktop environment from Windows to Linux.

    Very apt example, actually.

    The best thing AMD can do right now is shoot their market strategists a quick dismissal email. This is appallingly, hillary Clinton style, poor campaigning.
    Decently priced alternative to Intel is always welcome from business to consumers.
    Intel have always been spectaculary overpriced.

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by avow555 View Post (Source)
    Decently priced alternative to Intel is always welcome from business to consumers.
    Intel have always been spectaculary overpriced.
    because they've never had any competition. And they still don't.

  9. #9
    Did Ryzen meet the hype train? Maybe not. Is it a failure? No. This isn't just about Intel vs. AMD, it is about picking the right CPU for the job. As we learn more about Zen in general, we are starting to understand its strengths and weaknesses better, and can make an informed choice based on that. I knew when grabbing one as soon as I could on launch, I did not have all the facts, but I was willing to try it out for others with similar compute use cases to mine. I still see it as early days, since AMD haven't really given more than a high level overview of how parts within Zen communicate with each other. It will be down to users and software writers to make the most of it.

    Currently if you want more than 6 cores from Intel, you need to splash the cash, go old Xeons, or do what I did with ES Xeons. For applications that can use more cores, a 16 core in one socket part could be very interesting, although software wise it could be a nightmare coordinating between the CCX and chip modules. Problems that don't exist with single socket Xeons.

  10. #10
    Folks, if you care to read the article, this is NOT a server chip, it is an enthusiast level RyZen.

    Public knowledge by now but AMD has a new HEDT platform coming out in a couple of months. You’ll see more of it at Computex I believe. It’s a 16 core /32 Thread, quad channel behemoth. And it is insanely quick in the tests that Ryzen is already excelling at. So Cinebench, and all other related productivity programs. The gaming issues that were causing the Ryzen AM4 CPUs to behave erratically to say the least have been ironed out. It’s akin to a newer revision on a newer platform. This should be competing with the Xeon and of course 6950X Intel offers for $1700~$1800USD, but at about $1,000 USD if not less

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by shadragon View Post (Source)
    Folks, if you care to read the article, this is NOT a server chip, it is an enthusiast level RyZen.

    Public knowledge by now but AMD has a new HEDT platform coming out in a couple of months. You’ll see more of it at Computex I believe. It’s a 16 core /32 Thread, quad channel behemoth. And it is insanely quick in the tests that Ryzen is already excelling at. So Cinebench, and all other related productivity programs. The gaming issues that were causing the Ryzen AM4 CPUs to behave erratically to say the least have been ironed out. It’s akin to a newer revision on a newer platform. This should be competing with the Xeon and of course 6950X Intel offers for $1700~$1800USD, but at about $1,000 USD if not less
    I'll believe it when I see it. I hope they do manage to release a chip that can actually compete at a lower price, but we've been dealing with so much empty promises, shoddy hardware, and outdated designs for so long that until I actually see it, it doesn't exist. Until then, I'm with noddie.

  12. #12
    INTEL have had the edge since the i5 dropped, and have not really needed to do much to it since it was introduced.
    It's almost a certainty that Intel have something already fully designed and tested, just waiting for AMD to up their game, before dumping on them all over again.

  13. #13
    Originally Posted by Mr_sukebe View Post (Source)
    INTEL have had the edge since the i5 dropped, and have not really needed to do much to it since it was introduced.
    It's almost a certainty that Intel have something already fully designed and tested, just waiting for AMD to up their game, before dumping on them all over again.
    exactly. Kaby lake is a "optimization" chip. its a "meh" refinement on skylake. canon lake is the "tick". AMD is trying to play catchup to an outgoing tech.

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by Noddie View Post (Source)
    Christ almighty - who cares?

    Servers are Intel. Business expects this and is about as likely to switch to AMD as they are to migrate their desktop environment from Windows to Linux.

    Very apt example, actually.

    The best thing AMD can do right now is shoot their market strategists a quick dismissal email. This is appallingly, hillary Clinton style, poor campaigning.
    If you want Intel, buy Intel. No one mentioned them at all (or servers, or Clinton or Linux.) This is a thread about the new 16-core AMD chip.

    I'm happy to debate AMD's Pros and Cons (there are many of each) and Intel's as well, but if you can't contribute anything but hysterical, incorrect and obviously biased opinions on a CPU core that isn't even out yet, then just stay quiet, or start your own Intel friendly thread. Why you feel so obviously threatened by what others choose is beyond me. My choices do not invalidate yours and how I spend my money has nothing to do with you.

    Back to the thread. For those of you interested in more detail on the new core, here's a PC Gamer article with some details on the clock speed and OC abilities.

    http://www.pcgamer.com/amds-rumored-...1ghz-to-36ghz/

  15. #15
    Originally Posted by jmg View Post (Source)
    Right.. they're doing exactly everything the shouldn't be doing. they need something revolutionary to capture the high end market, like same performance at half the power consumption (like they did back in the netburst days) Everything Ryzen is so far yawnfest, only exciting repressed AMD phanbois.
    Whilst we've agreed in other threads this is egregiously wrong: AMD need to affect change not from high end consumers (who make up a marginal portion of the available market) but commercial buyers who are simply looking for something that chews through data with decent value. E3s and E5s (as well as their respective chipsets) have been insanely overpriced as of the past 5 years and there's even more opportunity for innovation through accessibility in that particular area. I can certainly see a lot of small and medium-sized companies picking these up initially and then we might see a full-scale pivot towards AMD in the ext 2-3 years for server providers if Intel doesn't respond.

    I'll agree with you that Ryzen is really not much use to medium or high-end gaming, but they do have a place for workstations and servers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast