Thread: 16-Core / 32-thread Ryzen (OMG, OMG,OMG...)

16-Core / 32-thread Ryzen (OMG, OMG,OMG...)

Title says it all. There's a possibility the X399 series RyZen CPU with 16-cores will soon be reality.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu...re_ryzen_cpu/1
    AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz / 32 GB Ram / Titan X Pascal / ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z ROG / HTC Vive / Steam VR Rating: 20937
    Independent Trader - Curious Explorer - The least talented smuggler in the Galaxy.
    "Please stop trying to change the game I love into something you might like." - Any grind, is in your mind.
    CMDR Shadragon / CMDR Drain Bamaged / CMDR CuteLilBunny

Very interesting.
    Games without frontiers, devs without ears...

"AMD FX-9370 4.7 Ghz, Sabretooth 990fx, Samsung Evo 250Gb SSD, Western Digital 4Tb HDD, 32Gb Ram, R9 390 8Gb @ 3840*2160 Philips BDM4065UC, TrackIR5, X52pro, Win10"

Great for those running servers and workstations, but I just hope it doesn't go the way of the 1800x and have people with the wrong use-cases buying it.

And certainly a motherboard with two sockets also

Christ almighty - who cares?

Servers are Intel. Business expects this and is about as likely to switch to AMD as they are to migrate their desktop environment from Windows to Linux.

Very apt example, actually.

The best thing AMD can do right now is shoot their market strategists a quick dismissal email. This is appallingly, hillary Clinton style, poor campaigning.

Originally Posted by Noddie View Post (Source)

Servers are Intel. Business expects this and is about as likely to switch to AMD as they are to migrate their desktop environment from Windows to Linux.

. Every
    The best thing AMD can do right now is shoot their market strategists a quick dismissal email. This is appallingly, hillary Clinton style, poor campaigning.
    Right.. they're doing exactly everything the shouldn't be doing. they need something revolutionary to capture the high end market, like same performance at half the power consumption (like they did back in the netburst days) Everything Ryzen is so far yawnfest, only exciting repressed AMD phanbois.

RIG (AKA, "BFC"):
    ​ 10 core Intel 6950x OC @ 4.4ghz, stock voltage // 2x Water Cooled Titan X (Pascal) in SLI //Corsair Dominator 32g ddr4 3200//Samsung 1tb M.2 drive//KRAKEN x62, Dual EVGA GPU water coolers//BeQuiet 1200//Northgate Omnimac Ultra Keyboard//Corsair 900d case//Flux Capactor
    FIRE STRIKE ULTRA: 14,017

Originally Posted by Noddie View Post (Source)

Decently priced alternative to Intel is always welcome from business to consumers.
    Intel have always been spectaculary overpriced.
    Games without frontiers, devs without ears...

"AMD FX-9370 4.7 Ghz, Sabretooth 990fx, Samsung Evo 250Gb SSD, Western Digital 4Tb HDD, 32Gb Ram, R9 390 8Gb @ 3840*2160 Philips BDM4065UC, TrackIR5, X52pro, Win10"

Originally Posted by avow555 View Post (Source)
    Decently priced alternative to Intel is always welcome from business to consumers.
    Intel have always been spectaculary overpriced.
    because they've never had any competition. And they still don't.

RIG (AKA, "BFC"):
    ​ 10 core Intel 6950x OC @ 4.4ghz, stock voltage // 2x Water Cooled Titan X (Pascal) in SLI //Corsair Dominator 32g ddr4 3200//Samsung 1tb M.2 drive//KRAKEN x62, Dual EVGA GPU water coolers//BeQuiet 1200//Northgate Omnimac Ultra Keyboard//Corsair 900d case//Flux Capactor

Did Ryzen meet the hype train? Maybe not. Is it a failure? No. This isn't just about Intel vs. AMD, it is about picking the right CPU for the job. As we learn more about Zen in general, we are starting to understand its strengths and weaknesses better, and can make an informed choice based on that. I knew when grabbing one as soon as I could on launch, I did not have all the facts, but I was willing to try it out for others with similar compute use cases to mine. I still see it as early days, since AMD haven't really given more than a high level overview of how parts within Zen communicate with each other. It will be down to users and software writers to make the most of it.

Currently if you want more than 6 cores from Intel, you need to splash the cash, go old Xeons, or do what I did with ES Xeons. For applications that can use more cores, a 16 core in one socket part could be very interesting, although software wise it could be a nightmare coordinating between the CCX and chip modules. Problems that don't exist with single socket Xeons.
    Expert - Merchant - Elite / Chief Petty Officer - Viscount
    Distant Worlds #374. Back in the bubble!
    https://www.facebook.com/CMDRPorina

Folks, if you care to read the article, this is NOT a server chip, it is an enthusiast level RyZen.

Public knowledge by now but AMD has a new HEDT platform coming out in a couple of months. You’ll see more of it at Computex I believe. It’s a 16 core /32 Thread, quad channel behemoth. And it is insanely quick in the tests that Ryzen is already excelling at. So Cinebench, and all other related productivity programs. The gaming issues that were causing the Ryzen AM4 CPUs to behave erratically to say the least have been ironed out. It’s akin to a newer revision on a newer platform. This should be competing with the Xeon and of course 6950X Intel offers for $1700~$1800USD, but at about $1,000 USD if not less
    AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz / 32 GB Ram / Titan X Pascal / ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z ROG / HTC Vive / Steam VR Rating: 20937
    Independent Trader - Curious Explorer - The least talented smuggler in the Galaxy.
    "Please stop trying to change the game I love into something you might like." - Any grind, is in your mind.
    CMDR Shadragon / CMDR Drain Bamaged / CMDR CuteLilBunny

Originally Posted by shadragon View Post (Source)
    Folks, if you care to read the article, this is NOT a server chip, it is an enthusiast level RyZen.

Public knowledge by now but AMD has a new HEDT platform coming out in a couple of months. You’ll see more of it at Computex I believe. It’s a 16 core /32 Thread, quad channel behemoth. And it is insanely quick in the tests that Ryzen is already excelling at. So Cinebench, and all other related productivity programs. The gaming issues that were causing the Ryzen AM4 CPUs to behave erratically to say the least have been ironed out. It’s akin to a newer revision on a newer platform. This should be competing with the Xeon and of course 6950X Intel offers for $1700~$1800USD, but at about $1,000 USD if not less
    I'll believe it when I see it. I hope they do manage to release a chip that can actually compete at a lower price, but we've been dealing with so much empty promises, shoddy hardware, and outdated designs for so long that until I actually see it, it doesn't exist. Until then, I'm with noddie.

RIG (AKA, "BFC"):

INTEL have had the edge since the i5 dropped, and have not really needed to do much to it since it was introduced.
    It's almost a certainty that Intel have something already fully designed and tested, just waiting for AMD to up their game, before dumping on them all over again.

Originally Posted by Mr_sukebe View Post (Source)
    INTEL have had the edge since the i5 dropped, and have not really needed to do much to it since it was introduced.
    It's almost a certainty that Intel have something already fully designed and tested, just waiting for AMD to up their game, before dumping on them all over again.
    exactly. Kaby lake is a "optimization" chip. its a "meh" refinement on skylake. canon lake is the "tick". AMD is trying to play catchup to an outgoing tech.

RIG (AKA, "BFC"):