Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: 2.3 Shield Booster and Ship Armour Changes Feedback Thread Pt. 2

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1
    Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous
    Frontier Employee

2.3 Shield Booster and Ship Armour Changes Feedback Thread Pt. 2

Hello Commaders!

As part of our Intel drive for the changes for the "big three", we'd like everyone who's played with them/against them in the beta to post in this thread, answering the following questions (it's very similar to the thread we used in the last interim beta).

Remember, please answer the questions only, using numbers for reference, it will make our lives *so* much easier . Any posts that deviate from this template are liable to be destroyed without warning. The more questions you can answer, the more useful the feedback will be.

And did we mention, please post only if you have tested these changes in the beta. You can still comment in the main shield booster thread if you want to make observations not related to testing.

About You:
    (to help us understand your Point of view for the other questions)

1) How much do you participate in PvE combat? If significant, is that long-duration CZ/Res or shorter term engagements such as interdiction?

2) How much do you participate in PvP combat? If significant, how often is that 1v1 or with a Group?

3) Which ship(s) do you frequently fly in combat?

Balance Questions:
    Specific topics we'd like concise feedback for:

4) In general, do you consider the fight lost once your shields have broken, or do you continue to fight?

4b) If you continue to fight once your shields are broken, when/if do you decide to withdraw?

5) How have you found that the shield/hull changes to the "Big 3" ('Conda, Cutter, Corvette) have affected your play?

6) Have you used Module Reinforcement Packages? If so, how effective have you found them?

7) We want to reduce the amount of time in combat spent chipping away at exceptionally large shields. With these changes, do you think we have GONE TO FAR, NOT GONE FAR ENOUGH, have got it ABOUT RIGHT or are going in the WRONG DIRECTION.

8) After playing with these changes, do you consider the overall effect of these changes to be POSITIVE, NEGATIVE or NEUTRAL?

General Comments
    A space for feedback on other topics. Please keep it focussed on the changes made during this beta, wider discussion belongs in other threads.

About me
    1.Player Minor Faction BGS, long CZ and interdictions, not so much RES(but sometimes)
    2.Never unless, suckered by stream snipers (my own fault)
    3.CZ ship = Combat Cutter and FGS - BGS runner = Python and Imp courier

balance
    4.continue
    4b.either no ammo or less than 20% hull ?
    5.not whatsoever
    6.yes, they take damage, that's effective
    7. i think 2.3beta CZ have got harder, this is good, a fight takes longer, this is good.
    8.POSITIVE

General Comments ? Keep up the Great work, thnx so much
    Geordie/Jonny V/6k hours +

Hi Sandro, thanks for listening to us!
    Here is my feedback:

About Me:
    1. How much do you participate in PvE combat? If significant, is that long-duration CZ/Res or shorter term engagements such as interdiction? // Yes, I do. It depends what I want to do. I either take part in long duration CZ, interdiction, security, ...
    2. How much do you participate in PvP combat? If significant, how often is that 1v1 or with a Group? // Not that often. If I do, that is because I've been attacked by another player: 1vs1.
    3. Which ship(s) do you frequently fly in combat? // Anaconda (Big one), Fer de Lance (Nimble), Diamondback Scout (stealth). Many others, more as fun ones.

Balance Questions:
    1. In general, do you consider the fight lost once your shields have broken, or do you continue to fight? // Not at all! ARMOR up and Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!!
    2. If you continue to fight once your shields are broken, when/if do you decide to withdraw? // I withdraw when I see that I have no way to win a fight at some point: hull too low, enemy regen too much shields or if I won't be able to kill him before he kills me.
    3. How have you found that the shield/hull changes to the "Big 3" ('Conda, Cutter, Corvette) have affected your play? // Playing an Anaconda during the beta, I think that the changes are fair. I like how it is coupled with the Hardness values and new piercing values of C1 to C4 weapons. Beware of the mighty Plasma Accelerator now
    4. Have you used Module Reinforcement Packages? If so, how effective have you found them? // I did, but not enough to feel that it protected me well. It may protect me well, but I didn't feel so.
    5. We want to reduce the amount of time in combat spent chipping away at exceptionally large shields. With these changes, do you think we have GONE TO FAR, NOT GONE FAR ENOUGH, have got it ABOUT RIGHT or are going in the WRONG DIRECTION. // Right direction, about right. +150% seems fair as I said, so we can focus on 3 Heavy Shield boosters... which is already great. Now for people to use more resistance and other utility modules for a more interesting fight.
    6. After playing with these changes, do you consider the overall effect of these changes to be POSITIVE, NEGATIVE or NEUTRAL? Positive.

General Comments
    The CZ aren't as rewarding as bounty hunting, while it is more dangerous.

First Thank you for a wonderful game...

1. Yes 90% PVE Most CZ / RES
    2. Some PvP, but don't like playing in Wings (Play late at night so cannot speak or make too much noise cannot type as VR User, S.O. will get miffed), so usually outnumbered, Shields are a great balance to 4v1. NPC Wings would be awesome.
    3 Cutter 75%, Python & FDL 25%

4. Yes, Shields down = High Wake 50M Re-buy is not fun
    4b N/A
    5. Yes, Not liking the Nerf at all
    6. Yes, Not really noticed any benefit they take damage but so does everything else. Will now use MIL slots of SCB's
    7. OK I Agree, Then how about Big Powerful Weapons that can be obtained or modded with the hard work we all took engineering our shields. Don't tale something away, give us something more powerful.
    8. Negative, Sorry, wish I could be positive but apart from a very cool Camera suite I am dreading this update.

1)
    85% PvE - long duration

2)
    I fly PvE in open but from time to time I do PvP (during CGs etc.)

3)
    At the moment Cutter only. (anaconda / fdl before)
    Strong shields allows me to stay longer in PvP fights with my PvE cutter! (non-beta off course)

4)
    Yes. Rebuy costs / risk too high in my cutter.

4b)
    99%

5)
    Yes! Lost motivation for beta testing after only a couple of hours. (Cutter)

6)

I used lot of hull reinforcements / module reinforcements but not good enough in a conflict zone (Cutter)

7)
    WRONG DIRECTION (for now)

8)
    NEGATIVE

General Comments

- these changes will make all other extreme setups/tactics (chaff etc) even more effective against the big 3. (especially PvE players are even more weakened in open)

- these changes ignore the high rebuy costs of the big 3.

- these changes ignore the weak firepower of the big 3 especially compared to the FDL. (FDL has slightly less hardpoints but is superior in agility)

- I can only speak for the cutter (maybe valid for all of the big 3) but you should not make these changes without re-balancing the cutter regarding other aspects (firepower? more hardpoints? better turrets vs chaff?)

About You:

1) How much do you participate in PvE combat? If significant, is that long-duration CZ/Res or shorter term engagements such as interdiction?

It depends on my free time. Usually in Haz Rez, Compromised Nav Points. I don't often CZ unless i'm after mats

2) How much do you participate in PvP combat? If significant, how often is that 1v1 or with a Group?

Rarely

Corvette, FDL, Anaconda

Balance Questions:

4) In general, do you consider the fight lost once your shields have broken, or do you continue to fight?

Yes. If I have an NPC crew members. I will usually jump out if I lose my shields because there's no point in incurring repair costs/NPC loss when you can just wait and jump back in.

4b) If you continue to fight once your shields are broken, when/if do you decide to withdraw?

When shields are down or (more usually) I run out of ammo

5) How have you found that the shield/hull changes to the "Big 3" ('Conda, Cutter, Corvette) have affected your play?

Over time in a CZ they have the result of increasing pressure on the shields as combat is rapidly sequential. The changes have meant the time from jump in, to jump out has been reduced by around 50%.

6) Have you used Module Reinforcement Packages? If so, how effective have you found them?

Yes, and negligible as NPC's rarely target modules and by the time they do i'm outta there

7) We want to reduce the amount of time in combat spent chipping away at exceptionally large shields. With these changes, do you think we have GONE TO FAR, NOT GONE FAR ENOUGH, have got it ABOUT RIGHT or are going in the WRONG DIRECTION.

Wrong direction. Counter big shields by ship builds, improved AI and variation. This change hits everyone big shields or not.

8) After playing with these changes, do you consider the overall effect of these changes to be POSITIVE, NEGATIVE or NEUTRAL?

Negative, due them being essentially ineffectual in the medium/long term.

General Comments
    A space for feedback on other topics. Please keep it focussed on the changes made during this beta, wider discussion belongs in other threads.[/QUOTE]

I realise it's a long read, but I put my feedback and thoughts into this thread https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...72#post5276972

1. Large amounts of time, BGS, grinding mats ect.

2. Again, large amounts of time. I 1v1 often and also participate in group engagements.

3. Cutter, Corvette, clipper and Fer-de-Lance.

4. Generally, yes. I consider the fight lost. However, in the beta update I was very surprised how well my corvette held up without shields.

4b. Once I'm at about 30 to 25% hull. I choose to leave then to give myself some leeway.

5. They've had a large effect, it brings back the excitement into fights and keeps me on my toes.

6. Yes, and I find them extremely effective.

7. About right, maybe a little too much for some ships. Looking at you Anaconda.

8. Very positive!

General comments: keep up the fantastic work! I am really enjoying the changes so far.

Church of the Space Cat: Zealot of the Meow.
    Loyal Subject of her grace Arissa Lavigny-Duval.
    King, Slave Distributor, and Mercenary.
    GT- DarkPhoenix332
    /r/EliteOne Moderator
    /r/ElitePS Moderator

About me:

A: Almost all time i am flying in HaZres and sometimes flying on CZ .

A: i am playing around 20 Duels , sometimes just fight with other CMDR's if they interdicted me by 1vs1 (pvp only 1vs1 for me)

A: Anaconda , Federal Corvette.

Balance Questions:

4)In general, do you consider the fight lost once your shields have broken, or do you continue to fight?
    A: I continue fight by hull.

A: In friendly duels we stoping fight with 30% hull , in other pvp moments i will highwake if enemy still have shield arond 30% or more.
    if we all lost shields i fighting to death.

A: On anaconda its amazing cuz she have best HP armour , on vette its terrible (hardpoints.. less armour than conda and cutter) vette is battleship or what?..

A: Yes , i have 2 MRP , its very usefull but need maybe a little more hp or something else..better defence for missiles and torps(PD still not helping to kill torpedos and PackHounds) if enemy have Cannons with High Yeld Shell or/and PackHounds MRP will not save you.

A:it NOT GONE FAR ENOUGH , if you want to using hull with low shields you need to buff armour , not just piercing.. cuz you buff RAILGUNS and PLASMA all players will just using this weapons and they dont care about your hardness , plasma ignored your low shields and your hull hardness , easy to kill (yes i got 4 duels with vette on beta and i can say , the ship now weaker (vs plasma and railguns maybe + corrosive)

About shields POSIVITE , but i have little suggestion , just do a maximum boost 40%(with disabled 2nd effects for additional boosting) for G5 Shield boost and it will be solved.
    And give more armour , i still dont get it about vette i have a Thread about this , vette is battleship but he have lowest armour? Sandro how this possible?(i am sorry for this)

1) - About 40% of overall game time,
    - both
    long duration - CZ and sometimes Res
    short duration - when pirating NPC's
    2) - Not as often as I should, mainly because I feel embarrassed by my PvP skills. I have a LoneWolf play style, (perhaps that is the reason my PvP needs work)
    3) - FAS and recently DBS

4) - Continue to fight
    4b) - Ususally when it's too late, but generally around 15% hull, (higher percentage if carrying mission specific cargo).
    5) - Have only flown the Cutter and Anaconda in beta, but I think the changes seem fair.
    6) - Yes. I like the fact it gives somewhat of a barrier before other modules start taking on damage. (or at least seems to). Can't imagine not having them.
    7) - About Right. " Almost There. . "
    8) - Postive.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

About me:

1. Occasionally, tends to center around requirements for engineers and the occasional one that interdicts me (I sometimes also use them for weapons testing).

2. Very often, 1v1s being very common (usually centered around activity at a CG, I mainly interdict pilots I believe will provide an adequate challenge and are in a suitable ship). I am also very engaged in wing fights, these are less common due to the planning involved, but I wing up with a single or 2 friends randomly as well.

3. Ships I frequently fly in include the Fer-de-Lance (my mainstay for PvP), the viper mk4 (secondary PvP ship) and my engineering conda which sees service in weapons testing vs NPC (I avoid PvP with this ship, it's not properly fitted for the job).

Balance Questions:

4. Depends entirely on the ship, I tend to continue 1v1s in the FDL once shields go, but in large wing fights it can be wise to leave before that. The viper is designed to tank with the hull and I barely run in it (due to the low rebuy mainly), in PvE the conda is very soft, if the occasion arises that I lose my shields, I would prefer to leave the engagement.

4b. Under most circumstances, I fight to the death, the occasion will rise when I wake on my opponent (moral reasons, or during large wing fights).

5. In the beta I find the new hulls on the big three rather tough (depending on loadouts), on large ships I would strongly consider fitting a high yield cannon to take out modules, super-pen rails also work.

6. Yes, they are very effective, they need to be stacked to work properly, but increase survivability for hull tanks and large ships to a large extent, especially when fitted with an AFMU.

7. The changes feel about right to me, large ship combat is rather fun now, more effort is required (due to bank timing etc). I do think that PAs (notably the efficient mod) are very powerful now, due to them partially ignoring resistances. Overall good changes, might need a few tweaks, but much better than the old super-tanky shields already.

8. Overall positive, definitely.

General comments:

I feel that Multi Crew offers an interesting alternative to playing alone or in a wing, fun to mess around with (and not as overpowered as I feared it could become).

Some weapons need some looking at with the new changes however, efficient PAs should be balanced to work with the new shield changes, they are too close to a meta weapon on large ships.
    During beta large ship fights, I found the extensive presence of the bugged heat cannons extremely infuriating, these weapons ruin fights, urgently need a fix (can make large ships unplayable if being bombarded constantly by them).

Missile defenses need a buff, especially ECM, seeker spam can still ruin the day of a large ship pilot, or any hull-tank for that matter (hull buff or no).

Really happy with the shield changes, large ships are far more enjoyable to fly in beta than they are currently in the live build. Banks still give very large health pools but can be countered, and require some strategy to use, and strategy is what large ships should be all about.

Thankyou so much for letting the community provide its feedback like this, appreciate it

About You:

Not much. I find Combat pretty boring and only engage in it when interdicted or to go to a RES or CZ for testing puposes.

Rarely - only when interdicted.

Whatever I fly is usually capable of defending itself, unless it's a dedicated Trader or Explorer. If I do the occasional Res or CZ I will take whatever I feel like flying, but usually select from Corvette, FDL, Vulture. Python , or iCourier.

Balance Questions:

Definitely, why take damage that costs credits for repairs? I'm not concerned about winning, for me surviving is more important.

N/A

I'm likely to bail sooner.

Don't know because I generally don't wait to test them, they are more of an insurance policy for me should I get caught with my shields down.

Tough question for my play style. I sacrifice things like chaff and scanners for stronger shields as a choice I make to reduce risk. Others use chaff, heat sinks, and other things on their utility slots to fit their play style. I thought making compromises and choices was what this was all about. This current effort seems like it's designed to force me into more limited choices so that others can enhance the way they want to play.

I guess I'd have to go with WRONG DIRECTION.

Similar to above response, for me it's a NEGATIVE.

General Comments
    A space for feedback on other topics. Please keep it focused on the changes made during this beta, wider discussion belongs in other threads.

I understand and accept the problems associated with combat and trying to get some balance after all the various changes that have come about with so many factors associated with trying to find some sort of "sweet spot." Whatever the outcome, I hope any changes achieve some measure of stability that allow for an unarmed large trade ship to survive a PvP interdiction, assuming the proper tactics are used.

To me it's about risk/reward and if the final re-balance makes it impractical to use a ship like a Trade Cutter because of the high re-buy, then I'll be forced to look at the alternatives, i.e. moving to Solo/PG or just go back to flying smaller faster ships with a better risk/reward equation.

As always. I will adapt, but as you are well aware, for players who have been around a long time and have a large fleet, this becomes increasingly arduous to do and most likely without any compensation for the time spent engineering and outfitting a large fleet. Find a way to compensate a player like me for the lost time and effort and it will probably sell better. Doubling storage for modules and data/materials would be a help.

Absent that, it will probably take a long time to re-fit/re-engineer my fleet. I know you are aware of the problem, I'm just not sure a solution for me is likely going to be a part of the consequences most likely coming my way when 2.3 goes live.

Good Luck trying to make everybody happy with this one.
    Not complaining, just an observation.

About You:

Regularly in both CZs and Res, i often can avoid NPC interdictions.
    Occasionally (usually one afternoon per combat CG), usually in a group, though i do 1v1 as well
    Corvette for PvE combat zone (sometimes PvP too)
    FDL for PvE Res site
    FAS for PvP
    Imperial Clipper for PvP (piracy)

Balance Questions:

Depends heavily on the ship/situation. The big 3 are just as easily wrecked in PvP as before (as rails, PAs, and huge cannons hurt them as well, if not better than before the beta), Res site PvE tends not to have as many high penetration guns, so I can stick around if my shields fall. My FDL & Clipper has always been a pure shield tank and a terrible hull tank so nothing changed in the beta for it. My FAS was a hull tank already, so its shields dropping is business as usual.

I never withdraw in my FAS due to damage (i might immediately decided to withdraw from an overwhelming fight, but it is not due to my shields/hull damage).

In low intensity PvE in the big 3, I have never had my shields fall (or even risk falling). If they were to fall, it is likely because i was taking overwhelming damage and would probably be already jumping.

For PvP, depends if I feel like i can still win (the opponent's shields fell and is also taking hull damage), if it is close, I'll gladly stay till the end.

If I'm fighting something without big guns and my shields fall, the hull hardness basically negates all small weapons fire, but anything that could bring down my shields is already shooting big guns and the hardness doesn't really affect them as they were boosted too.

I either don't need them at all (large and smaller weapons don't do jack to the big 3's modules from what I have seen) or they crumple extremely fast even with class 5s. It is annoying. Perhaps if the auto field maintenance unit could automatically repair the MRPs it would be decent (or have a better way to get them to repair the MRPs besides digging through menus).

WRONG DIRECTION

You can still get extremely strong shields with reinforced shield generators and stacking resistances, only fixing the shield boost just means that people need to re-engineer for a different design. That being said, I feel the nurf to the shield booster's boost seems to be a bit overkill. Apply the nurf in a more general manner to shields but not as intense as the nurf to the boosters. Having a nurf to all of it means that people dont need to engineer every damn thing to keep strong shields, while reducing overall shield health.

POSITIVE

Hello Sandro, here's my perspective:

A lot. I'd say it would be my main 'occupation' in ED.

2) Rarely. Since Engineers hit the gap between 'meta' and 'fun/creative builds' have become so large IMHO that I had to chose between PvP or what I consider to be fun/creative. I chose the latter. I only fly in Open, so I do get to encounter (one-sided) PvP, and my ships are designed to *survive* rather than engage. Mostly due to the SuperShields there is just no way to deal even a little bit of damage in a non-pvp ship no matter what.

I have my Corvette for CZ/HAZres. I intend to make this my multicrew ship and I have had it outfitted with turrets for months. Works great in PVE for that 'battlestar galactica' vibe, works great in MC for gunners and is hopeless in PvP. But I generally fly my small ships for assassinations, hunting pirates in SC and more 'roleplay' flying. My Corvette is barely engineered, all my small ships are heavily engineered.

Balance Questions:
    Absolutely not. I run Bi-weaves on my small combat ships and I spend about 50% of time without my shields in them. My Corvette with non-modded shields and marginal boosters (1700MJ shielding) doesnt lose its shield in HAZres, but if I would lose them I'd just finish the fight and reboot the shields. FWIW: Sole exception is my high-speed sidey which can be one-shotted, I consider the fight lost when it starts.

My aim is to win. If He gets me down to say, 70% and my opponent is much above 70% I retreat. I keep monitoring it and if I start to lag by +- 10% relative to each other I'll leave. If I am winning I'll keep fighting and head for repairs afterwards.

To be honest, its mostly academic to me so far. Even my relatively humble shields on my corvette simply dont drop in HAZres. Hoping that changes in the future (I am looking at you, thargoids!).

As before, not relevant for the Corvette. Tried them on smaller ships, never more than one, and it seems to work. I noticed it espescially on the Vulture: normally without shields thrusters tend to fail rather rapidly but it seems to help enough here to get your shields back online.

Its an improvement in theory, but in PvE there is still the need for something to actually kill our shields for the (more fun) hull-combat to start. Having improved high-ranked AI and giving the higher-ranked AI MUCH better gear (engineered!) will make things much more interesting. The mechanics are all in place, but when you pay attention.

Positive, clearly. Lots of room for further improvement though. Smaller ships in wings should be ale to be a serious threat, but it seems that you need to outfit smaller ships specifically for Big Game hunting. 'Generic' builds will as far as I Can see struggle with the hull hardness.

General Comments
    A space for feedback on other topics. Please keep it focussed on the changes made during this beta, wider discussion belongs in other threads.[/QUOTE]

1) Allow crewmembers to use the AFMU in combat to re-fill MRPs.
    2) Give higher-ranked NPCs better gear.
    3) Give higher-ranked NPCs better AI.
    4) Let higher-ranked NPCs actively snipe modules to encourage MRP usage in PvE.

The above three should bring ED a lot better to 'PvE Battlestar Galactica' vibes, where wings of small ships can be a fun challenge. In my opinion, once the shields are down, sparks are flying and modules start to malfunction THATs when the fun starts. Keep it up!

Ceterum censeo Pythem esse nerfam

Hi
    Excuse my English not very good

1) How much do you participate in PvE combat? If significant, is long-term CZ / Res or short-term commitments such as interdiction?

Yes I participate a lot In long term

2) How much do you participate in PvP combat? If significant, how often is 1v1 or with a group?

Not because I play to amuse myself not to have stress

Phython anaconda

4) In general, do you consider that the fight is lost once your shields have been broken, or do you continue to fight?

Yes because they destroy the different modules very quickly

4b) If you keep fighting once your shields are broken, when / if you decide to retire?

Depends ship and percentage of rival

5) How did you find out that the Shield / Helmet changes in the "Big 3" ('Conda, Cutter, Corvette) have affected your game?

If they affect a lot, since now I have managed to have a relatively small ship like a viper mk4 with modified pulse laser deactivate shields quickly and with two missiles leave the conda or corvette without motors, unable to move is dead. It is too much difference that a ship of 1 000 000M Cr is destroyed or canceled by another of a little more 500 000 Cr in less than 2 minutes

This affects a lot. I think that the shielding should protect much better modules, engines, power plant, etc etc much better even if they did not have shields in those big ships

6) Have you used module reinforcement packages? If so, how effective have you found them?

If I have used, effectiveness in an acceptable quality

7) We want to reduce the amount of time in combat that is spent on exceptionally large shields. With these changes, do you think we have gone ALONG, DO NOT HAVE THE ENOUGH, HAVE ABOUT RIGHT or we are in the wrong direction.

Wrong direction in the sense of lowering a lot. But do not compensate the protection of the different modules of the ship, engines, distributor, power plant etc etc ... DO NOT lower both shields and raise protection modules until at least the hull of the ship was not damaged 50%. When helmet ship damage over 50% start doing damage modules

Negative

1) Often. CZs

2) Whenever there is a good CG that can be influenced by PVP. Usually 1v1, but will group if others pursue similar goals.

3) Cutter

Balance Questions:

4) I run when I am out of heatsinks (bring 2), My last SCB charges are toasty at best.

4b) X

5) In the beta it showed that the big 3 will not be flown in any meaningful pvp

6) Very good on agile ships, barely delaying the inevitable on the big ships. Trivial amounts of HP.

7) You are completely wrong to nerf base shield. The tools to counter shield tanks are ingame. People chose not to use them and then whine.

8) Massively negative.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast