Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engineering FSD Start Fresh or Upgrade Lower to Higher Level??

Question Engineering FSD Start Fresh or Upgrade Lower to Higher Level??

So I only dabbled with Farseer in Level 1 Engineering, increase my FSD and such. I'm on my way to Beagle Point so when I come back I expect to be at Level 5 with Farseer after selling her all my exploration data.

I've been reading a little more on engineering and am a little confused. I've heard of people saying that to do Level 5 it's best just to buy a fresh FSD instead of trying to upgrade let's say a Level 1 (like I have) or 3 or something like that.

Are chances/numbers better when engineering a fresh module or is it that you might get something even worse than you had at Level 5 than you did with Level 1 or 3?

Should I...when I have all materials, try a roll with my Level 1 FSD or buy a new one and try it that way? Am I making any sense? Sorry if I'm not still new to engineering. Thanks in advance.

I've never noticed any difference mod an already modded drive or a stock one after all the rolls are random you might get 50% optimal mass increase or as low as 40% from a L5 range increase mod, what I would suggest is when you get a decent one (45%+) store and start with a stock one, also Farseer won't have A grade drives so you'll need to buy one locally and have it shipped there.
    I've been asked more than a few times "But why the docking computer?" cause I'm a lazy ol Commander that's why!

ummm, I believe to make Grade 5 you simply need to do many rolls...aka, could have stayed at Deciat and farmed for materials to stock up.

Basically, as long as u have a large supply of the materials required for whatever engineering upgrade, its simply a matter of rolls. Usually to reach grade 5 only takes about 15 min of rolling if you have all the stuff required. The Farseer exploration data is only to unlock her. Once unlocked, its on to the rolls.

I usually increment up. Start with grade 1, get something decent, and once grade 2 unlocks, go for that, etc.... Though I stay with same engineering type through the Grade up. Though often, you may end up better with a Grade 4 result as compared to G5, eg, I have a great G4 roll on my Asp even though I am unlocked to G5 with Farseer.

o7

Follow me on Twitch
    - usually basic game play simply showcasing the config/setup and experience with goal to capture something unique?!

Thanks everyone. I'll try to upgrade my Grade 1 to Grade 5 and hope for a 45% or better and keep that and then maybe leave, store it, buy a new one, and try my hand at it again see if I can beat it. I can't wait to start grinding for all the materials...I hear it's a pain

Hope the RN gods are good to me...

There is no "upgrading" If you apply a new modification, the previous one is removed. No stacking, no upgrading. If you have the reputation for it, you can do G5 mod right away with the same result.

The only confusing thing about applying a new mod to previously modded module is that the percentual changes are shown relative to the previous mod, not to stock module, so they may seem.. less good.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=111025&dateline=1489001662

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    There is no "upgrading" If you apply a new modification, the previous one is removed. No stacking, no upgrading. If you have the reputation for it, you can do G5 mod right away with the same result.

The only confusing thing about applying a new mod to previously modded module is that the percentual changes are shown relative to the previous mod, not to stock module, so they may seem.. less good.
    Good points! Indeed, applying over another is relative to the same modded roll/grade prior. Thus, when you roll a grade 2 and take it, if you roll again or move up to grade 3, your next roll compares against your existing spec. Only if you change engineering type for the given module will you go back to stock.

Yea, the grind to find materials is fun, and bonus is no longer have to worry about carrying around cargo. Between pirates, and simply space to carry, FD's decision to go solely on materials and data is much better!

one other key piece of advice: Get EDEngineer

This tool is a must have for managing your engineering materials/data and relating to Engineers and blueprint needs! I would be lost without it!

Follow me on Twitch
    - usually basic game play simply showcasing the config/setup and experience with goal to capture something unique?!

If you already have rolled a decent grade 5 FSD, it might be a good Idea to have 1 or 2 spare FSD's to see if you can do better. Of course you will need the money to buy them, but they can be sold or used in other ships. Dont expect anything more than 45 % optimal, it gets difficult from there.
    A good CMDR has actually rolled 288 times and made a chart of the results. Cant find it just now.

Cheers Cmdr's

For a while i tend to roll fresh ones each time and slowly my lesser ships get the hand-me-downs .... its why i have almost 60 modules in storage now --- although about 20 of them are heavy-duty shield boosters which have been stripped off my 4 primary ships since i re-rolled a heap of resist instead.
    CMDR Lev von Shadow
    King von Shadow of the Empire. Loyal to the Duval legacy
    --------------------

Originally Posted by Comrade Napoleon View Post (Source)
    A good CMDR has actually rolled 288 times and made a chart of the results. Cant find it just now.

Cheers Cmdr's
    Thanks.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post4927925

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat ... and keep it under Lightspeed!
    My Elite: Dangerous videos , Logitech Extreme 3D Pro bindings , Explorer visual reference

if you have more than one ship with that size of FSD, i really recommend buying a bunch of FSDs, and upgrade virgin moduls. it won't affect the stats, but it will make the process less frustrating, as you win good FSDs for your non- explorers, and the best roll goes to your exploration ship.

i have done last week ~30 FSD G5 rolls for my DBE, went to martuk, had 10 FSD drives transferred - i got one of those >50% rolls, but the nice sideeffect is, that my python, orca, 2 AspEs, clipper and gunship are now all having FSD drives between 47% and 50% increased optimal mass.
    ___

Ceci n'est pas une signature.

My rule of thumb. If I get an exceptional RNG roll and end up with a really decent piece of kit, at any level, I'll store it and get a new module. If I end up getting average or good rolls with heavy negatives I can fall back on the older unit. If I get good rolls with low negatives I can apply it for other ships or roles.

This lets me apply changes and lets me test them out without losing what I have today.
    AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz / 32 GB Ram / Titan X Pascal / ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z ROG / HTC Vive / Steam VR Rating: 20937
    Independent Trader - Curious Explorer - The least talented smuggler in the Galaxy.
    "Please stop trying to change the game I love into something you might like." - Any grind, is in your mind.
    CMDR Shadragon / CMDR Drain Bamaged / CMDR CuteLilBunny

don't forget farseer does stock some FSD's herself so you can store any good modules and buy back a fresh one, at least last time I was there she had 3a's 5a's and 6a's, 4a's were at garay terminal though grrrrrr.

if you do all your modding in a large ship which can fit all the fsds i.e. 1-6 this will save some time once you have a mountain of materials

then just ship them back home via module transfer

This might help demystify the process. I always roll right over my previous mod, so I can evaluate the changes based on what I currently have.

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    I much prefer that way as it's then easy at a glance to seem current improvements, given the engineering screen in no place shows your current modifications.

Originally Posted by Gavin Burke View Post (Source)
    I much prefer that way as it's then easy at a glance to seem current improvements, given the engineering screen in no place shows your current modifications.
    Yes, of course. But I've seen quite a few people confused about it.
    "I'm rolling for G5 FSD upgrade and the optimal mass is only 20% increase. How do people get 55%?"
    "Well, that's because you already have G3"

That kind of thing.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=111025&dateline=1489001662

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast