Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Firegroup Advice

  1. #1

    Firegroup Advice

    I have spent the majority of my ED career as a trader. I decided i wanted to try my hand at Bounty Hunting.

    I have a Cobra MK3 with the following Hardpoints and Utilities and need help arranging my fire groups:

    2f Multi-Cannon (Gimballed)
    2f Multi-Cannon (Gimballed)
    1g Burst Laser (Gimballed)
    1g Burst Laser (Gimballed)
    Kill Warrant Scanner
    Frame Shift Wake Scanner
    2a Shield Cell Bank
    2a FSD Interdictor
    Colossians 3:17; 1 Corinthians 10:31

  2. #2
    No Heatsink for the SCB? Not that you need one, just curious if it was on purpose. Shield Boosters are also nice. I'm not opposed to your load-out, it's very multi-role. But combat can be rough, especially if you haven't visited any RNGineers...

    Otherwise, thermals on one trigger and kinetics on the other. Then SCB and KWS. You may want to power down the Wake Scanner and assign it when needed. And make sure the Interdictor is on low-priority setting so it can automatically power down when you deploy hardpoints. Extra power for your Power Distributor to use is always nice in combat if you can afford it.
    East India Company, XBOX One Division

  3. #3
    I usually just use straight thermals, but I've used lasers and multi-cannons before. I had several groups set up.

    Firegroup 1:
    Left trigger - KWS
    Left trigger - FSD interdictor (it's only active in supercruise, so you can have it bound to the same button as something else)
    Right trigger - Burst lasers

    Firegroup 2:
    Left trigger - Multis
    Right trigger - Burst lasers

    I've got my SCBs set to B+LB so that I don't need to switch firegroups if I need to replenish my shields.

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by SCSkunk View Post (Source)
    No Heatsink for the SCB? Not that you need one, just curious if it was on purpose. Shield Boosters are also nice. I'm not opposed to your load-out, it's very multi-role. But combat can be rough, especially if you haven't visited any RNGineers...

    Otherwise, thermals on one trigger and kinetics on the other. Then SCB and KWS. You may want to power down the Wake Scanner and assign it when needed. And make sure the Interdictor is on low-priority setting so it can automatically power down when you deploy hardpoints. Extra power for your Power Distributor to use is always nice in combat if you can afford it.
    Thanks for your reply! I am pure noob to anything outside Traiding. This includes the use of weapons as I removed them from my T6 along with many other things so i could haul further.

    I got my build from a guy on YouTube who did "shop" videos as he called them. Here is the link.

    I have no idea what "heatsink for the SCB" means or why it would be helpful. I also have no idea what "Shield Boosters" are. I also have no idea how to "power down the wake scanner" as I am only familiar with readying and stowing weapons, not powering them down.

    Again, Noob.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Originally Posted by Colossus1921 View Post (Source)
    I usually just use straight thermals, but I've used lasers and multi-cannons before. I had several groups set up.

    Firegroup 1:
    Left trigger - KWS
    Left trigger - FSD interdictor (it's only active in supercruise, so you can have it bound to the same button as something else)
    Right trigger - Burst lasers

    Firegroup 2:
    Left trigger - Multis
    Right trigger - Burst lasers

    I've got my SCBs set to B+LB so that I don't need to switch firegroups if I need to replenish my shields.
    Thanks! for the reply. I didn't even think about binding any of these to anything besides the firegroups. So great idea!
    Colossians 3:17; 1 Corinthians 10:31

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by tastyhotschmoes View Post (Source)
    Thanks for your reply! I am pure noob to anything outside Traiding. This includes the use of weapons as I removed them from my T6 along with many other things so i could haul further.

    I got my build from a guy on YouTube who did "shop" videos as he called them. Here is the link.

    I have no idea what "heatsink for the SCB" means or why it would be helpful. I also have no idea what "Shield Boosters" are. I also have no idea how to "power down the wake scanner" as I am only familiar with readying and stowing weapons, not powering them down.

    Again, Noob.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Thanks! for the reply. I didn't even think about binding any of these to anything besides the firegroups. So great idea!
    SCB's generate a lot of heat, o using a heat sink will help with that. firing both at the same time (via key bindings) can help with ay heat issues generated by the SCB's. Shield boosters make a big difference in combat as they boost your shield strength by (I believe) 20%. You can also mod the boosters for increased resistances or resistances vs specific types of damage, like thermal or kinetic.

    Powering down the wake scanner means just deactivatng it in the Modules tab in the right hand panel (systems) Wake scanners require a lot of juice so powering i down can save on power consumption, and you'll only use wake scanners in a non-combat scenario, so you can reactivate it once you need to use it.

    My fleet: Anaconda | Python | Asp Explorer | Cobra MkIII | Sidewinder
    GT: Funky Cold 84 (Xbox)

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by FunkyCold84 View Post (Source)
    SCB's generate a lot of heat, o using a heat sink will help with that. firing both at the same time (via key bindings) can help with ay heat issues generated by the SCB's. Shield boosters make a big difference in combat as they boost your shield strength by (I believe) 20%. You can also mod the boosters for increased resistances or resistances vs specific types of damage, like thermal or kinetic.

    Powering down the wake scanner means just deactivatng it in the Modules tab in the right hand panel (systems) Wake scanners require a lot of juice so powering i down can save on power consumption, and you'll only use wake scanners in a non-combat scenario, so you can reactivate it once you need to use it.
    Thanks for limping me along. If I can follow up, while outfitting my MK3 I don't recall seeing Heat Sinks or Shield Boosters. Where do i find them and what would I have to remove from my build to add those?

    Here is my current MK3 build
    Colossians 3:17; 1 Corinthians 10:31

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by tastyhotschmoes View Post (Source)
    Thanks for limping me along. If I can follow up, while outfitting my MK3 I don't recall seeing Heat Sinks or Shield Boosters. Where do i find them and what would I have to remove from my build to add those?

    Here is my current MK3 build
    You would find both boosters and heat sinks under the utilities section. The problem is that your ship only has two utility slots. It's worth experimenting around with different builds - if you notice your shields drop alot then a booster or two would be somethng you'd want to test out. Also check you heat levels/heat damage when you fire off the SCB. If your taking heat damage from it then definately try out a heat sink and bind both the SCB and the heatsink to fire key. I have my SCB as Y+RB and my heatsink is Y+LB. Any time I fire off an SCB without the heatsink I always end up taking heat damage from it as my heat goes up to about 140%. That alone won't kill me, but I hate seeing the sparks/sirens blaring.

    My fleet: Anaconda | Python | Asp Explorer | Cobra MkIII | Sidewinder
    GT: Funky Cold 84 (Xbox)

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by FunkyCold84 View Post (Source)
    You would find both boosters and heat sinks under the utilities section. The problem is that your ship only has two utility slots. It's worth experimenting around with different builds - if you notice your shields drop alot then a booster or two would be somethng you'd want to test out. Also check you heat levels/heat damage when you fire off the SCB. If your taking heat damage from it then definately try out a heat sink and bind both the SCB and the heatsink to fire key. I have my SCB as Y+RB and my heatsink is Y+LB. Any time I fire off an SCB without the heatsink I always end up taking heat damage from it as my heat goes up to about 140%. That alone won't kill me, but I hate seeing the sparks/sirens blaring.
    I will also say, I typically play in Solo Mode.

    I will look into the shield boosters for sure. I will investigate the heat issue before deciding on the Heat Sinks. To add Shield Boosters though, it seems the only real thing I can drop is the wake scanner. Unless I plan to chase bounties into other systems, it may not get as much use as the boosters. Thoughts?

    Would you use TWO Shield Boosters in lieu of the Wave Scanner and Shield Cell Bank? Which would then solve the issue of the need for a heat sink.

    EDIT: Nevermind. Noob. You cannot replace a SCB with a Shield Booster...
    Colossians 3:17; 1 Corinthians 10:31

  9. #9
    Heat sinks mount onto a utility point so you'll lose the KWS or wake scanner. For bounty hunting you're best keeping the KWS to maximise your profit. I've never used the wake scanner for BH, farming HazRes and Nav Beacons so you could loose that and have the heat sinks, or ditch the SCB and either A rate the shield generator or try bi-weaves.

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by tastyhotschmoes View Post (Source)
    I will also say, I typically play in Solo Mode.

    I will look into the shield boosters for sure. I will investigate the heat issue before deciding on the Heat Sinks. To add Shield Boosters though, it seems the only real thing I can drop is the wake scanner. Unless I plan to chase bounties into other systems, it may not get as much use as the boosters.

    Thoughts?
    I would drop the scanner. I only use those for scanning wakes for engineering, so you don't really need it equipped if you're just going bounty hunting. Wanted NPC's are pretty common in both SC and in places like resource extraction sites. If you're in a RES and one of them high wakes, you'll fnd another victim before to long. You can also stack boosters for even more shield strength.

    My fleet: Anaconda | Python | Asp Explorer | Cobra MkIII | Sidewinder
    GT: Funky Cold 84 (Xbox)

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by Assumedcodet888 View Post (Source)
    Heat sinks mount onto a utility point so you'll lose the KWS or wake scanner. For bounty hunting you're best keeping the KWS to maximise your profit. I've never used the wake scanner for BH, farming HazRes and Nav Beacons so you could loose that and have the heat sinks, or ditch the SCB and either A rate the shield generator or try bi-weaves.
    Originally Posted by FunkyCold84 View Post (Source)
    I would drop the scanner. I only use those for scanning wakes for engineering, so you don't really need it equipped if you're just going bounty hunting. Wanted NPC's are pretty common in both SC and in places like resource extraction sites. If you're in a RES and one of them high wakes, you'll fnd another victim before to long. You can also stack boosters for even more shield strength.
    Thank you both. Will drop the Wake Scanner and add in the Shield Booster!
    Colossians 3:17; 1 Corinthians 10:31

  12. #12
    I prefer to have as few firegroups as possible... When using fire groups, I typically have more stuff to worry about than "where is that (x)" and accidentally skipping past it.

    One thing I do that helps combat this "some", and for how I am: I put the FSD interdictor on every firegroup. I never have to "look" for it. I just tie it in wth whatever is on the right trigger. In SC the hardpoints do not fire (and I typically put SCB's on the left trigger) and in combat my FSDI is powered off... This way it works when I need it to, and doesn't when I don't need it.

  13. #13
    I like to cut out the middle step and just have my KWS bound to my guns so I'm getting the kill while I scan.
    CMDR Guywired: XBL / Twitter / Port: Walker City / Anaconda: Void Breaker

  14. #14
    I would have one firegroup with all weapons assigned to primary, and KWS and FSD Interdictor both assigned to secondary. Another firegroup with lasers and multis split between primary and secondary, for conserving power/ammo as needed.

    If you can bind shield cell banks to another button on Xbox (and you have a spare), I would. Otherwise I suppose a third firegroup with all weapons to primary and SCB to secondary.

  15. #15
    Purely for fun, i sometimes like to have the righthand side weapons on right trigger and the left on left trigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast