Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 87

Thread: The "Small Questions that don't Deserve their own Thread" Thread

  1. #1

    The "Small Questions that don't Deserve their own Thread" Thread

    We've all had those questions, little throw-away's or quick one liners. They aren't really important enough for their own thread surely, but you're google fu is failing you. What happens if I destroy an enemy's FSD module (I still would like to know this!)? Why is the DBX better or worse than the ASP scout? Whats the easiest way to find [x] material?

    There also is the political side to the equation, sometimes you ask a question and get attacked, maybe you mentioned you play in solo and now everyone is jumping down your throat. This is not a thread for that. This is merely a thread for helping fellow commanders get answers to their little questions.

    Please try and answer a question if you see one you know when posting your own.

    Stay informed Commanders!

    I'll start: What is the easiest way to find heavily populated area with real human players? Preferably an in game way as I don't rely heavily on third party tools.

  2. #2
    To answer your question: CG'S and the home system of a large faction.

    Nice thread BTW I'll definitely think of some questions

  3. #3
    Originally Posted by Woofington View Post (Source)
    What happens if I destroy an enemy's FSD module (I still would like to know this!)?
    They can't wake out. Reboot/repair can be used to bring it back online if they don't have an AFMU. NPCs can reboot/repair, but I'm not sure if they ever carry AFMUs.

    Whats the easiest way to find [x] material?.
    There isn't a particularly easy way to do it ingame. There are clues leading to them in the material descriptions you can see when looking at mods which require them.

    The actual easy way is to use inara.cz and eddb.io (and any others I'm not thinking of).

    What is the easiest way to find heavily populated area with real human players? Preferably an in game way as I don't rely heavily on third party tools.
    Ingame you can look for the CG marker on the galaxy map, or an engineer who mods important modules. Checking which systems major PP powers are contesting during the current cycle should be a good bet too. Out of game you could look up what system the fast credit/rank method of the moment is in, or things like POIs which are part of the ongoing alien storyline (might be able to find the latter ingame through Galnet).

    No questions spring to mind sorry.

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by Gunnet View Post (Source)
    They can't wake out. Reboot/repair can be used to bring it back online if they don't have an AFMU. NPCs can reboot/repair, but I'm not sure if they ever carry AFMUs.



    There isn't a particularly easy way to do it ingame. There are clues leading to them in the material descriptions you can see when looking at mods which require them.

    The actual easy way is to use inara.cz and eddb.io (and any others I'm not thinking of).



    Ingame you can look for the CG marker on the galaxy map, or an engineer who mods important modules. Checking which systems major PP powers are contesting during the current cycle should be a good bet too. Out of game you could look up what system the fast credit/rank method of the moment is in, or things like POIs which are part of the ongoing alien storyline (might be able to find the latter ingame through Galnet).

    No questions spring to mind sorry.
    Thanks so much to the two of you!

    Another quick question, is mining still pretty rough in terms of reward?

  5. #5
    OK I got one.. I noticed that most systems are connected in a tree structure. But sometimes I see a system where some planets connect to a single X

    What is that X?

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by Woofington View Post (Source)
    is mining still pretty rough in terms of reward?
    i find the trick to profitable mining is to take missions; 27t of Osmium isn't going to pay out much if sold by itself, but if someone is going to pay you 2 million to take that 27t, that is a different story. you can either stack the missions before you head out, or just go collecting and hope that when you return there is a waiting mission that requires what you have on board.

    but overall, mining falls to the lower end of the earning scale - other jobs can earn equal money in a quarter of the time

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by Woofington View Post (Source)
    Thanks so much to the two of you!

    Another quick question, is mining still pretty rough in terms of reward?
    Mining can be good money with a properly fitted ship and the right ring type (i.e. pristine metallic). There are stations which will pay 70k+ per ton of Painite.

    It's not the best option for somebody who just wants maximum credits. But it's perfectly viable if you enjoy it.

    Originally Posted by Silithir View Post (Source)
    OK I got one.. I noticed that most systems are connected in a tree structure. But sometimes I see a system where some planets connect to a single X

    What is that X?
    The things connected to the X are orbiting both of the bodies which the X is sitting between. In other words, the X shows the barycentre of binary stars.

  8. #8
    Why can we not reduce an NPC's Life Support module to less than 1%?

    If everything tastes like chicken, does chicken taste like everything?

    What have I got in my pocket?

    We've all heard of parallel universes, but what about perpendicular universes?

    If a Type-7 departs Hutton Orbital at 9:00am, traveling towards Slink's Eye at 2250c and a Fer de Lance departs from Pythagoras Vision at 9:15am, traveling towards Epsilon Eridani at 2330c, at what time will Leathery Eggs restock at Ridley Scott?

    What happens if you try to supercruise beyond the edge of the galaxy? Is there an exclusion zone around it, or is it possible to drift beyond the galactic perimeter?

    The Voyager probes have been found, what about the Mariner probes?

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    The Voyager probes have been found, what about the Mariner probes?
    What? Have they? I'm only 6 weeks or so in, but I haven't heard anything about this! Can I go and see them?

    Great thread OP, and I think my question fits perfectly in it.

  10. #10
    I'm rarely upset by the amount I make mining. Focusing your time on the three P's will help a lot. I'll grab gold and osmium as well for the random mission offered at the station when I dock.

    First rule of mining is to avoid I've mining.

  11. #11
    So I just used my SRV for the first time and it got really damaged but I can't figure out how to repair it at the station I'm docked at. Any ideas?

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by Woofington View Post (Source)
    So I just used my SRV for the first time and it got really damaged but I can't figure out how to repair it at the station I'm docked at. Any ideas?
    You don't have to manually repair SRVs, or even take them back to a station. They get fully repaired as soon as you enter your ship.

    The fuel is only replenished when you return to a station or manually synthesise it though.

  13. #13
    Originally Posted by Silithir View Post (Source)
    OK I got one.. I noticed that most systems are connected in a tree structure. But sometimes I see a system where some planets connect to a single X

    What is that X?
    Not quitr sure what you mean, but if you mean the structure on the Galaxy/Systems map, it is surely because there are objects not yet discovered.
    Cheers Cmdr's

    - - - Updated - - -

    Originally Posted by Sonof Hibachi View Post (Source)
    What? Have they? I'm only 6 weeks or so in, but I haven't heard anything about this! Can I go and see them?

    Great thread OP, and I think my question fits perfectly in it.
    yes you can

    Cheers Cmdr's

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    Why can we not reduce an NPC's Life Support module to less than 1%?
    Don't know.
    If everything tastes like chicken, does chicken taste like everything?
    Stop eating chicken.
    What have I got in my pocket?
    Is it precious?
    We've all heard of parallel universes, but what about perpendicular universes?
    What about them?
    If a Type-7 departs Hutton Orbital at 9:00am, traveling towards Slink's Eye at 2250c and a Fer de Lance departs from Pythagoras Vision at 9:15am, traveling towards Epsilon Eridani at 2330c, at what time will Leathery Eggs restock at Ridley Scott?
    About 10 minutes after they run out.
    What happens if you try to supercruise beyond the edge of the galaxy? Is there an exclusion zone around it, or is it possible to drift beyond the galactic perimeter?
    Yes there is. The exclusion zone is to keep the rest of the universe safe from us.
    The Voyager probes have been found, what about the Mariner probes?
    They haven't been found

  15. #15
    Originally Posted by Woofington View Post (Source)
    We've all had those questions, little throw-away's or quick one liners. They aren't really important enough for their own thread surely, but you're google fu is failing you. What happens if I destroy an enemy's FSD module (I still would like to know this!)? Why is the DBX better or worse than the ASP scout? Whats the easiest way to find [x] material?

    There also is the political side to the equation, sometimes you ask a question and get attacked, maybe you mentioned you play in solo and now everyone is jumping down your throat. This is not a thread for that. This is merely a thread for helping fellow commanders get answers to their little questions.

    Please try and answer a question if you see one you know when posting your own.

    Stay informed Commanders!

    I'll start: What is the easiest way to find heavily populated area with real human players? Preferably an in game way as I don't rely heavily on third party tools.
    Another good tip I got from reading the forom. If you need to find high immisions signals head around 6k LS above the system plain and lots spawn.
    On my engineer mats runs I used inara a lot but if I'd used my tiny mind I could have figured it out. Pharmaceutical isolators.....outbreaks systems. Things like that. Makes sense once I thought about it

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast