Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: 2.3 exploration payouts + visual guide

Originally Posted by marx View Post (Source)
    I'd say rarity, but classes IV and V are even more rare, so that wouldn't make sense. I'd say utility, but I don't really know why a class II gas giant would be worth much more for colonists than the others. So, the explanation I find most likely is that the person they tasked with revising the payouts forgot to complete all the gas giants.
    It has to do with the fact that Class II Gas Giants have water clouds in the upper atmosphere. This would be cost effective and efficient for terraformable planets within the system (or close systems) to generate icy rocks to use to pummel the planet to increase spin (and therefore gravity) as well as standing water for such a planet.

Class IV contain Alkali Metals and Class V Silicate clouds that while might be usable in the ED Universe aren't cost-effect for farming/harvesting.

Also it would be useful for fusion processes; assuming the FSD uses deuterium or deuterium slush for the necessary combustion for energy for entering witch-space.

Originally Posted by MBaldelli View Post (Source)
    It has to do with the fact that Class II Gas Giants have water clouds in the upper atmosphere. This would be cost effective and efficient for terraformable planets within the system (or close systems) to generate icy rocks to use to pummel the planet to increase spin (and therefore gravity) as well as standing water for such a planet.
    Excellent point. Since terraforming candidates appear to be the most valuable to Universal Cartographics, then it makes sense now why they offer that much more for the class II GGs. Would rep twice if I could!

Excellent point. Since terraforming candidates appear to be the most valuable to Universal Cartographics, then it makes sense now why they offer that much more for the class II GGs. Would rep twice if I could!
    Though spin has nothing to do with gravity...

Originally Posted by straha20 View Post (Source)
    I was thinking of the presence of water clouds, not how exactly ED's magical terraforming would use them.

I was thinking of the presence of water clouds, not how exactly ED's magical terraforming would use them.
    So then that begs the question as to why a Water Giant has the second lowest payout

So then that begs the question as to why a Water Giant has the second lowest payout
    A good question. Perhaps because a water giant has mainly water vapour, while a gas giant has hydrogen and helium, which both should be quite useful as well.
    You're probably better off asking Frontier though, as their payout system is still pretty inconsistent.

While true, the additional gravity would be minimal, there are several formulas and papers that discuss this online. This URL is a good start to cover that: http://www.askamathematician.com/201...ct-on-gravity/

If you're talking about Water Worlds that are gigantic in size, I suspect it would have to do with either constructing underwater buildings or floating cities which might be a problem as our ships aren't necessarily meant to being boats that run the surface of the water.

Though I'm with marx and think we need to press this with the fdevs as this seems as inconsistent as I'm thinking the Brown Dwarfs with complete ring systems masquerading as gas giants seems out of balance with the odds that would create them (I've found at least a dozen of them in Col 173 Sector during this surveying run).

Originally Posted by MBaldelli View Post (Source)
    While true, the additional gravity would be minimal, there are several formulas and papers that discuss this online. This URL is a good start to cover that: http://www.askamathematician.com/201...ct-on-gravity/

If you're talking about Water Worlds that are gigantic in size, I suspect it would have to do with either constructing underwater buildings or floating cities which might be a problem as our ships aren't necessarily meant to being boats that run the surface of the water.

Though I'm with marx and think we need to press this with the fdevs as this seems as inconsistent as I'm thinking the Brown Dwarfs with complete ring systems masquerading as gas giants seems out of balance with the odds that would create them (I've found at least a dozen of them in Col 173 Sector during this surveying run).
    Water Giants as defined in the Elite Dangerous Wiki...

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Planets

"Water giant. Worlds like this have a large atmosphere made mainly of water vapour. It most likely formed when a large icy body warmed up enough to evaporate a large amount of its surface ice, this would in turn trigger a runaway greenhouse effect leading to a very thick atmosphere made of the evaporated ices."

Some of these Water Giants can get pretty big, and if the presence of water vapor in the Class II gas giants is the driving factor for them being so valuable, then by this description, Water Giants are like Class II's on steroids, and should be worth a ton more.

I also would like to know what the rationale was behind the values of the bodies. Rarity is clearly not a factor. Distance from civilized space is clearly not a factor. Since distance is not a factor, economic value isn't a logical factor then either, as it's a whole lot easier to economically exploit something close to home. And as the Water Giant demonstrates, water does not appear to be a consistent factor either.

I know I'm a bit late, but...

This is exactly the chart I've been looking for . Well done Commander!

Should be stickied in the Guides subforum.

Thanks for the hard work!!
    MSR

The payouts have become so high that I've sacrificed extra slots in all my ships to outfit ADS & DSS in the bubble. The ADS I've always taken, no matter the ship, it was very useful for basic knowledge.
    All unknown systems in the bubble that have WW or ELW are now extreme money makers.
    # apt-get purge engineers

Why does the computer keep saying "Friendship Giant Sausage"?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011