Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: The Galactic Mapping Project needs your assistance

  1. #1

    The Galactic Mapping Project needs your assistance

    The Galactic Mapping Project is putting out a call for assistance to the exploration community regarding a few areas where we would like your help to improve the map.



    1) Generation ships, Guardian Ruins in odd locations and other mystery sites



    Generation Ships:
    Many of these have been found, and we would like to add them to the map. As for all mystery POI we try to not spoil the entire mystery in the map entry, but only hint at it. This is to reward people who actually travel to the site to get the full experience. Can you be the one that writes a map entry about a generation ship - capturing the atmosphere of the site without giving everything away?

    Guardian Ruins
    The Canonn thread lists all commonly known guardian and mystery sites (Guardian sites alone now total more than 100 locations!). We have decided to add only a few of these to the map, namely those that help outline the general area around Regor where most ruins can be found.

    But we are very interested to learn about Guardian Ruins found far away from this area - like the ones found in the Skaudai sector.

    However even for these few locations we lack flavorful descriptions or images that spark the imagination. We need your help in providing these. What sets one site apart from another? Even if they have the same obelisk layout, are they on planets or moons with a different feel? Could you be the one to provide an image in 640x360 pixels that really captures the mood of the site or otherwise sparks the imagination?

    Other Mystery POI:
    Most of these have so far been alien sightings or abandoned settlements with data points and logs that hints at the story of the sites. If you come across such a site and it is not allready on the map, please let us know.


    Please make any submissions of new descriptions or images to the main GMP thread.

    Examples of existing entries:







    And if you have a bit of creative writer in you, why not try something along these lines. Or these really excellent entries and great examples on how to capture the atmosphere of a site.



    2) Restricted Sectors



    We belive we have all commonly known Permit Sectors in deep space listed on the map. However, for most of these we do not have detailed info on the extent of the sectors. How far above or below the galactic plane are their boundaries located. At what coordinates do you encounter them when approaching from the north, south east or west? Much of this can be obtained from browsing the ingame galactic map, but it is a lot of legwork, and we could use more manpower to help collect this data.

    In addition we are looking for any additional info, nicknames, backstory or rumors (official or otherwise) attached to the various restricted sectors. Like this GalNet post that recently mentioned a distress signal from within one of the restricted sectors...

    Please make any submissions of new descriptions or images to the main GMP thread.

    Examples of existing entries:





    And if you want to go all-in, you can do as CMDR Billy Chase did.



    3) Historical exploration voyages, achievements and events



    The Galactic Mapping Project is not just a navigation tool, it is also an interactive compilation of the achievements of the exploration community. And while we believe that we have many of the major (read: historical) events and achievements added to the map, we are also aware that there must be so many more that have gone under our radar.

    Have you been one of those that pushed the limits of exploration in some way that stands out? Did you take part in a major group exploration event of significant notice? Then we´d really like to hear from you so we can incorporate this into the map in some way or form.

    Please make any submissions of new descriptions or images to the main GMP thread.

    Examples of existing entries:








    4) Real life astronomical objects lacking data and images



    The Galactic Mapping Project currently lists a number of real life astronomical objects that where added in the early days of the project. A few of these still lack good in-game screenshots to show them off as well as interesting descriptive text. So if you find anything on the map that says "no data" or seems obsolete, we are allways very happy to get a note about it, and even better if you make a suggestion for an updated map entry.

    Please make any submissions of new descriptions or images to the main GMP thread.

    For inspiration, just take a look at some of the many posts made by CMDR Heavy Johnson in the main mapping thread

    XTE J1817-330

    QZ Carinae

    Upsilon Carinae


    5) Deep space outposts

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deep space outpost.jpg 
Views:	681 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	117939

    With the launch of 2.3 a whole bunch of asteroid bases where added in deep space. For most of these we are currently lacking images (640x360 pixels) as well as descriptions including services available, pad sizes available, economy type, population size etc.

  2. #2
    If only we had helm control handover

  3. #3
    I'll focus on section 2 and 3. At the moment I'm going in the direction of Dryman permit locked sector so I'll scout that out. There are probably also a few achievements we rock rats can dig up

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by Baroness Galaxy View Post (Source)
    I'll focus on section 2 and 3. At the moment I'm going in the direction of Dryman permit locked sector so I'll scout that out. There are probably also a few achievements we rock rats can dig up
    Excellent! While it is certainly possible to map the borders of the restricted sectors via "armchair exploration" in the galaxy map, it would be much more cool (and in the spirit of the mapping project) to have players actually travelling there and scouting out the borders on site. Just like the FGE did with the Regor sector back in the days...

  5. #5
    It's worth pointing out that any/all screenshots and layout info for the guardians sites will be subject to change when 2.3 goes live.
    It's possible the layouts won't change from the beta to live as I believe FDev have said this should be last time they change, but I wouldn't place money on that!

  6. #6
    Arrived and landed at Hawkins Gap abandoned settlement.



    I will take scenery pictures tomorrow evening.

  7. #7
    First let me say that the galactic mapping project and EDSM is my favorite aspect of exploration in Elite dangerous. My name is Cmdr Parabolus - I am the Expedition leader for the six month long Shepard Mission, which you may or may not have heard about, because we were saving our findings and discoveries to submit as a collective whole once the Expedition is complete. We have a lot of information about a lot of sectors, nebula, and historical events, such an endurance SRV race we just completed 1500 light-years below Sagittarius A. Would it still work if we submitted all of our information for the glactic mapping project upon our return at the end of the Expedition on May 5th? Or would you prefer we Do a partial submission with information we have gathered up until this point?

    For more info on the Shepard Mission you can see our forum here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...ce-Exploration

    And the Shepard Chronicles, a video series covering the mission here: https://youtu.be/Fwye36XaPlE

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by mtt9999 View Post (Source)
    First let me say that the galactic mapping project and EDSM is my favorite aspect of exploration in Elite dangerous. My name is Cmdr Parabolus - I am the Expedition leader for the six month long Shepard Mission, which you may or may not have heard about, because we were saving our findings and discoveries to submit as a collective whole once the Expedition is complete. We have a lot of information about a lot of sectors, nebula, and historical events, such an endurance SRV race we just completed 1500 light-years below Sagittarius A. Would it still work if we submitted all of our information for the glactic mapping project upon our return at the end of the Expedition on May 5th? Or would you prefer we Do a partial submission with information we have gathered up until this point?

    For more info on the Shepard Mission you can see our forum here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...ce-Exploration

    And the Shepard Chronicles, a video series covering the mission here: https://youtu.be/Fwye36XaPlE
    That is entirely your call. No problem in waiting until may 5th

  9. #9
    I been mapping EAFOTS Sec Since Nov 2016.


  10. #10

  11. #11
    I'll try to do my best with #2 and #3 as I'm in Colonia now and setting off for Beagle Point and beyond soon. However, I don't know how much help I'll be as I'm an XBox One player and I have no access to upload my netlogs. Wish I could manually input information, but I don't see a way to do that either. However, I do try to keep a running record of things on my INARA journal so I could pass any relavent information over to someone.

  12. #12

    Some direction please

    Junior explorer here. I am heading towards the Bovomit region to attempt to map the boundaries of the region (I was already headed that way anyhow). However - I'm a little unclear on how to best collect and then present this information in a useful format. Can someone point me to a thread with instructions on how I can best contribute data? I'm familiar with ED:MC and EDSM, but not EDDiscovery, which I presume might be the best way to collect the information.

    07
    CMDR Dinochrome

  13. #13
    OP updated.

    ______________________
    Originally Posted by Dinochrome View Post (Source)
    Junior explorer here. I am heading towards the Bovomit region to attempt to map the boundaries of the region (I was already headed that way anyhow). However - I'm a little unclear on how to best collect and then present this information in a useful format. Can someone point me to a thread with instructions on how I can best contribute data? I'm familiar with ED:MC and EDSM, but not EDDiscovery, which I presume might be the best way to collect the information.

    07
    CMDR Dinochrome
    Hello there

    It is true that by using EDDiscovery you can trace your entire flightpath, and by choosing some sensible routes around the restricted sector you will be able to map it very accurately. See an example here. Perhabs try contacting Billy Chase directly in order to get a few pointers from him? You can read more on EDDiscovery here.

    Please ask again or send me a PM if you have more questions - and thanks

    - - - Updated - - -

    Originally Posted by ThomasWJames View Post (Source)
    I'll try to do my best with #2 and #3 as I'm in Colonia now and setting off for Beagle Point and beyond soon. However, I don't know how much help I'll be as I'm an XBox One player and I have no access to upload my netlogs. Wish I could manually input information, but I don't see a way to do that either. However, I do try to keep a running record of things on my INARA journal so I could pass any relavent information over to someone.
    Im not so much a technical type, so I also have no clue how you could transmit that data... But we are also interested in qualitative descriptions of the regions and map entries (and by that I mean prose ). So if you´ve got an aspiring creative writer in you, feel free to give it a shot. Remember everything on the map must be based in stuff you can actually find in the game (we don´t make things up), but you do have a small bit of freedom in how you describe the things found in the game. You can see some inspiration here.

  14. #14
    concerning "4) Real life astronomical objects lacking data and images" - i keep a spreadsheet with real galaxy super- and hypergiants, which are ingame. are you interested about adding those?

  15. #15
    Originally Posted by goemon View Post (Source)
    concerning "4) Real life astronomical objects lacking data and images" - i keep a spreadsheet with real galaxy super- and hypergiants, which are ingame. are you interested about adding those?
    We are allways interested in taking a look and consider it

    It depends on how many there are? We try to avoid cluttering the map too much, but at the same time we want to cram as much into it as possible

    So are we talking tens or hundreds of giants here? And if we are talking hundreds, could you help us cut it down to a shortlist of the ones we REALLY have to add to the map?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast