Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Star textures takes longer to load on jumping to system

Still in shock

I can't believe that one of the best selling points for the game, the visual quality of images and the wow factor of system jump arrival could possibly have been allowed to be downgraded.

Unlike some others I am not confident of a quick fix from FD, especially when the bug was reported all the way from Beta 1 thru Beta 4 and it was not fixed. How many of the player base have to complain before we get back to the quality of pre 2.3 graphics.

While this is really bad, the scaling issues in galaxy/system map are far worse and more game breaking. Explorers are copping this double whammy.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Woah! Hang on a minute, did I miss something? Who said it's an intentional degradation? Link please.
    IIRC it was mentioned in a Beta bugreport thread that this is intentional.

- - - - - CMDR WaterKant - - - - -

i5 6600K @4.8GHz on air / 16G DDR4 2400 / Asus Z170 pro gaming / Palit GTX 1080 @2100 MHz / Rift CV1 / X52pro Hotas

The blur is quite clearly intentional and actually, looks quite good as it slowly resolves into a nice crisp image, I suppose it is designed to appear as if your eyes are slowly adapting to the brightness and I personally have no issues with that at all, what is a major issue and always has been for me is the texture popping which is absolutely and massively jarring. I think if the popping can be resolved people will maybe see what the intended change was and hopefully like it a bit more.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Woah! Hang on a minute, did I miss something? Who said it's an intentional degradation? Link please.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post5323680

There was a slight back-pedal at the end of the thread about passing on feedback to the developers, but once it 2.3 went gold with this still intact it pretty much cemented the idea that it's a deliberate choice.

The Reddit post that Barking_Mad duplicated here seems to confirm this too. I guess all we can do is keep reporting it and hope that the number of disgruntled players is enough to convince FD to take another look.

Asus Sabertooth Z87 | i7-4770K 4.3GHz H100i OC | 16GB Corsair Vengeance PC12800 | GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB | Realtek ALC1150

According to that reddit post they did just what I complained about earlier; Degraded everything because of those with hardware not capable of running everying on Ultra.

ED is game over for me until this 'feature' is fixed.

Guess all hopes lays with SC now...

I really hope they at least add the extra seconds they took out from a hyperspace jump so we can see the flaming space potatoes before they load. Those new textures, specially in M, K and G stars, look awful. They strain my eyes and make me blink repeatedly to clear my eyes.
    I am a trader and explorer in service of the Empire. I also write science fiction (exclusively in Spanish).

Seeing as we are forced to stare at these things after every jump I really hope to get this fixed.

Originally Posted by Morgan Grimes View Post (Source)
    The blur is quite clearly intentional and actually, looks quite good as it slowly resolves into a nice crisp image, I suppose it is designed to appear as if your eyes are slowly adapting to the brightness and I personally have no issues with that at all, what is a major issue and always has been for me is the texture popping which is absolutely and massively jarring. I think if the popping can be resolved people will maybe see what the intended change was and hopefully like it a bit more.
    We may be seeing different things, what I am seeing can NOT be intentional. Every system I jump into now shows a shockingly low-res star which stays like that for maybe 6 or 7 seconds, then jumps into better resolution and then keeps jumping and jolting into dfferent, better res images of the star. It's absolutely horrible. I'll see if I can grab some video.

This can't be intentional and I refuse too believe frontier is ok with this! Elite is such a great looking game but this is just cutting corners where they shouldn't. It totally breaks immersion for me.

CMDR Felix said it all: "This ruins one of the most iconic and impressive moments in the game. That moment when you jump to a new system and the star dominates your field of view."

10. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #100
    Originally Posted by quickr View Post (Source)
    This can't be intentional and I refuse too believe frontier is ok with this! Elite is such a great looking game but this is just cutting corners where they shouldn't. It totally breaks immersion for me.

CMDR Felix said it all: "This ruins one of the most iconic and impressive moments in the game. That moment when you jump to a new system and the star dominates your field of view."
    Indeed! Elite is very pretty and we don't want the artist's hard work to go to waste. We're looking into this issue at the moment, thank you so much for your patience everyone :)
    Frontier Customer Support Team

I actually like it, the fact it takes a few seconds before becoming sharp, and it does it very smoothly, is like it's an effect of jumping into a system, so it's a non-issue from my POV.

Originally Posted by CMDR Vanguard View Post (Source)
    Indeed! Elite is very pretty and we don't want the artist's hard work to go to waste. We're looking into this issue at the moment, thank you so much for your patience everyone :)

no no no, there is seriously nothing to like about that. It's terrible!

Originally Posted by Morgan Grimes View Post (Source)
    Star textures have always popped (even more so when you orbit one and look), but the new effect makes it look far far worse, it's really immersion breaking.
    Can't say I've actually noticed it prior to this update. Now it looks simply awful like my settings are momentarily set to "below LOW"...
    RIP ASPX#1, I will never forget how that retarded skimmer suicided into you and make the whole base kill you, just because you were cooler than it

Originally Posted by NMS View Post (Source)
    The question is, does this downgrade for console reasons go back to normal? Because it's just horrible.
    It's got nothing to do with consoles.

Texture on star when leaving Hyperjump

Severity
    Minor

Frequency
    All of the time (100%)

Time of occurrence
    17:00

Date of occurrence
    14/4/2017

VR?
    None / N/A

Ship/SRV?
    Ship

Ship Type
    Cobra

Commander Name
    Heriosis

Description
    When leaving hyperspace the textures on stars are very low and after a short time in the system they return to normal. Looks very poor.

Steps to Reproduce
    Travel in hyperspace

Additional files?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast