Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Companion API stopped having Engineering Data

This might sound noob, but other than watching a video on what an API is in general, I'm not sure how that applies to the "API" this thread refers to. Also, I'd really like to know what it is since it seems clearly valuable to those who used it and just in case it comes back, I'd like to see what it can do to improve my game/ship builds. Thanks.

LOL - my guess:

They probably don't even know how they broke it, and probably don't care.

FD is mostly lip service

Tell them anything they want to hear - do nothing
    Not complaining, just an observation.

Originally Posted by CMDR Jeanome View Post (Source)
    This might sound noob, but other than watching a video on what an API is in general, I'm not sure how that applies to the "API" this thread refers to. Also, I'd really like to know what it is since it seems clearly valuable to those who used it and just in case it comes back, I'd like to see what it can do to improve my game/ship builds. Thanks.
    Hello CMDR Jeanome. The 'Companion API' started life as the 'server-side' part of an Elite Dangerous Companion app for iPhone. The app allowed you to view some information about your CMDR and the station at which you were currently docked. The app is no longer available, but still works on my iPhone 3GS. The app gets information from FDev servers via this so-called 'Companion API'. Clever people reverse-engineered how the Companion API worked and started to use it in their tools. It became the way that tools like ED Market Connector were able to grab commodity prices from stations that you visited. The Companion API also gave information about the ship you were currently using. This information included details of engineering modifications that you had made to the modules on that ship. EDMC was able to get this information from the Companion API and pass it directly to sites like Coriolis and ED Shipyard. What's more, the information in the Companion API had a greater resolution (i.e. more decimal places) than was visible in the outfitting screen in-game, and with that sites like Coriolis could calculate exactly how fast your ship will go, for example, such that the calculations agreed with the boost speed shown in game.

So you were able to jump into your ship, hit a button in EDMC, and have your complete ship build (with engineer mods) appear in your favourite web browser. You could then look at what engineering rolls you might like to improve on, and generally mess about trying new builds and simulating different rolls to see how that affected your ship.

Then something happened to remove the engineer information from the Companion API. Something FDev did without warning. The CMDR developers who'd spent a fair bit of time making all that work saw that some of that time was for nought. They give their time freely, and no-one forced them to do it, but they also saw how some other software companies treat the player-development communities, and they thought that FDev could do better. And FDev have opened a channel of communication ..... but that is not the topic of this thread!

In the meantime, you can still export your ship build from EDMC, but it does not contain engineering data. So you have to spend about 10 minutes per ship copying that data from the game. And even when you finish, the stats you've entered aren't the exact numbers the game is using, so the calculated properties of your ship don't match the game. And then maybe you engineer a few modules on your ship, and you have to manually enter the new rolls against your build.

I often find myself with spare time, but away from the game. I used to use that time to look at my ships and plan what engineering rolls I might like to make next. The functionality we've lost makes that much easier.

Note - the Companion API is not available for Xbox or PS4 players (which is a bit weird, because the API itself is for an iPhone app, and not dependent on the hardware the CMDR is using).
    CMDR texaspete

Originally Posted by texasp8 View Post (Source)
    Note - the Companion API is not available for Xbox or PS4 players (which is a bit weird, because the API itself is for an iPhone app, and not dependent on the hardware the CMDR is using).
    That's because use of the CAPI requires a Frontier store login, which console users don't have (it just uses either the XB Gold account info or the Playstation Network account info). Even if they created one it wouldn't be linked to the console account/Cmdr. Only FDev knows why they haven't implemented this.

This needs to be fixed, asap!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213