Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Heavy Metal

...after having been hampered by Belugas so many times in this race

- - - Updated - - -

Hitching a ride in Edelgard von Rhein's T9 during one of her runs. Still haven't set up the Camera Suite properly due to borked keybinds.

Originally Posted by Rankaze View Post (Source)
    No one expects the racing Fer-de-Lance!
    No-one expects the racing T9 either

Originally Posted by Stern Winter View Post (Source)
    https://youtu.be/Nfg7Bs7GNSs

...after having been hampered by Belugas so many times in this race

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/yMIw34mTXv0
    Hitching a ride in Edelgard von Rhein's T9 during one of her runs. Still haven't set up the Camera Suite properly due to borked keybinds.
    An interesting change of perspective to see one of my runs from the gunnery chair, thanks for posting this!
    I did not get the 'bounce' that you saw when leaving supercruise arriving at a station but otherwise it was pretty similar (although that encounter with the Asp Explorer seemed closer from my perspective - I thought I had actually hit it). The ranks in the multicrew summary screen were off for both of us: yours showed Elite in combat and trade and mine showed Dangerous in combat and Elite in trade... I don't think it affected your trading bonds, though - those should be a flat 5% regardless of rank, which from the credits shown you received correctly.

No-one expects the racing T9 either
    Especially not the poor NPC's in the mail slot.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)

Yeah, that engineer upgrade needs to come with a big disclaimer "MOST USELESS MOD EVER". I feel its title is very misleading. Even though I should know better, I heavily considered it when planning out the mods for this race, then remembered what it actually did.
    It actually does have a use! It's for Vipers and Eagles who don't have enough power to keep the FSD running while their hardpoints are deployed but still need to bug out in a hurry if things turn ugly (like, oh, accidentally shooting the cops at a RES). Would have saved my skin a couple of times if it had been available back when I was a Viper jockey.
    CMDR Timothy Knight - Interstellar Swashbuckler - Buckyball Runner - Dangerous | Broker | Elite
    Cortana - Imperial Eagle - A* Challenge Unlimited Imperial Eagle record 10:06:19 - Mischief Mile Winner (Crazies Div.)
    Joyeuse
    - Imperial Courier (Racing Spec) - Buckyball Run X Winner (Solo/BigX) | BuckyBubble Winner (Top Fuel)
    Haulin' A* - Hauler - A* Challenge Classic Hauler record 9:35:22
    Durandal
    - Imperial Courier (Combat Spec)
    Excalibur - Fer-de-Lance

https://youtu.be/yMIw34mTXv0
    This is something I really wanted to do (and still do so don't be surprised in the next race if I start asking people if I can tag along with my camera). Couple of quick questions ... do you think those appalling drop from SC times were caused by your multi-crewing? I was curious why you didn't seem to use the external camera at all while in supercruise ... is it not possible?

(click race banner for details)

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    This is something I really wanted to do (and still do so don't be surprised in the next race if I start asking people if I can tag along with my camera). Couple of quick questions ... do you think those appalling drop from SC times were caused by your multi-crewing? I was curious why you didn't seem to use the external camera at all while in supercruise ... is it not possible?
    1. Perhaps.
    2. It is, but as I was assigned gunnery duty, I thought it best to only use it while docking/undocking.

This is something I really wanted to do (and still do so don't be surprised in the next race if I start asking people if I can tag along with my camera).
    And this was also one amongst the reasons why you see an Adder as the signature ship (and of course "regulation" class) on my upcoming race banner...pity I then discovered that SRV deploying is disabled in multicrew (I planned this waaay before 2.3 was even in beta), so if you plan on doing camerawork, just remember to disband the crew before landing on the planet!

The SC drop times for this run were slightly worse than was typical for me in this race. Anything on the order of ten seconds is common for me but it can often be much longer, whilst drop times of 5 secs or less are unusual (although more common at times of low network traffic). They are loading screens, so I guess that it just takes my machine longer to load in most cases. I have been able to get near-instant drops, notably for one of the stations in Advanced Options, and time of day and network traffic have a part to play as well. I would think that if I joined someone else's ship, then it would slow them down as I suspect the helm's ship would not be dropped into the instance until synchronised with the other crew members, so the loading speed will be that of the slowest crewman, with a bit extra for the network to co-ordinate everything.

Wall of Comments

Well, finally I've got some time again to finally do that final post. Better very late than never, right?
    Considering my somewhat underwhelming performance in this event it's also going to be more of a reply/commentary post than a solid race analysis (especially since pretty much everything has already been said)

http://www.stevietee.co.uk/images/headsmack.jpg
    Ditto ... I can't even remember her name, some free-loader I felt sorry for because she'd competed in the Mischief Mile. Been on my pay role for months, don't even know where she is at the moment. I may have to let her go if she doesn't start pulling her weight soon.
    Same here, I even got two of these Crewmembers (at least they're both harmless). I had already wondered why my profits were a couple of thousands lower than what eddb suggested, despite the profit per ton values being the same...

Originally Posted by furrycat View Post (Source)
    Excellent race analysis
    I agree on all of the flying-aspects and now have learned a lot about trading (shame on me, I used to do a lot of that back in the days).
    It was frustrating to realise I missed out on victory because of an interdiction but that's racing. It's happened to all of us before and will happen to all of us again.
    I feel really bad about this! First because I didn't have one single interdiction in this race (ok, I did only 4 attempts, but still) and second because your more sophisticated route-planning and especially that blazingly fast T9-time (hats off!) make you deserve this win much more than my relatively standart run!

Originally Posted by Onane View Post (Source)
    [...]
    Load from BANAPITYAS/Marshburn Dock, 532 x Gold
    Load from SOUNTI/Teng Station, 532 x Mineral Extractors
    Load from BANAPITYAS/Marshburn Dock, 532 x Palladium
    Load from U CARINAE/Carpenter Gateway, 532 x Crop Harvesters
    Unload at BANAPITYAS/Treshchov Ring
    [...]
    I did exactly the same route with all ships, except for starting at Tuan Port (which didn't make any difference to Marshburn in this case). When I planned my T6 run I forgot to disable the pad size filter in eddb and didn't realize that I could have gone much faster with outposts until after the run. I would have attempted another Run with Yegorov-Teng-Yegorov-Carpenter-Yegorov wich would have yielded slightly higher profit with probably much shorter docking times but didn't have enough time.

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    [...]
    Testing new trading approaches is worth it
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned, how did people buy things at the station? I originally tried to land, hit "enter hangar" and complete buying before I got to the bottom so I could launch again immediately. I wasn't ever able to pull this off, so I ended up going all the way into the hangar, and then launching from there, which is a roundtrip of 45-50 seconds. However after some testing, I discovered if I traded while sitting on the pad, and then hit "launch" directly from the pad, I could get finished in as little as 30-35 seconds.
    [...]
    I tested the different turnaround/trading approaches aswell and also found the surface-to-launch the fastest one for me. The pad turnaround times vary significantly, on a large pad it's approx. 47 s for a hangar-launch, 14 s for a surface-launch and 25 s for a mixed launch (hangar and then hitting "launch" on the way down). My fastest trade turnaround was 32 s with a mixed launch, but I barely managed to pull that one off in time, so I stuck with an average 38 s surface-launch after that. As pointed out by someone earlier though it really depends on how fast you are in the menus (I didn't really have a good strategy for that) and thus each of the turnaround methods can have its own advantages.

Additional stuff
    Spreadsheet

Videos:
    T6
    T7
    T9

Loadouts are in the spreadsheet. I didn't have any engineering on the T7 due to time constraints.
    Lessons learned: Don't meticulously analyze SC times for stations you're not going to use at all if you don't have much time.

Thanks for a very fun race EZ and a very entertaining race thread everyone!
    I'm sad I could only take part during the last two days (and I was pretty lucky that these were days with high trade profits), but it has been great fun following the action in the forum during the week and racing the cows was a challenging and welcome change from the fast ships. See you all at the next race!

Originally Posted by cookiehole View Post (Source)
    my somewhat underwhelming performance
    *my somewhat underwhelming performance*

Mid-pack crowd, light your pitchforks and sharpen your torches!

Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)
    *my somewhat underwhelming performance*

Mid-pack crowd, light your pitchforks and sharpen your torches!
    I'm sure cookie's use of the word "underwhelming" only shows what a high standard he sets for himself. As a long-time mid-packer, my pitchfork is safely stowed in the barn.

Since this thread isn't dead yet (should I bring a stake?) - only four days until The Aquarian Job is supposed to start, and no information yet?
    If I'm bigger than you, then I'm in charge.
    If you are bigger than me, then you're in charge.
    If anything goes wrong, then he's in charge.
    -- credo of the orc marines

Originally Posted by Ashnak View Post (Source)
    Since this thread isn't dead yet (should I bring a stake?) - only four days until The Aquarian Job is supposed to start, and no information yet?
    For what it's worth I've just this very second sent back a proof-read version of the Aquarian Job race thread text to its organiser so I would expect a race thread to be appearing very soon(tm).

Oh ... and it looks like it's going to be an absolutely brilliant (and highly amusing) race!

As soon as I'm back from work, sorry for the wait...I'll just have to correct that two or twenty typos . Could take a little while.

The Aquarian Job race thread is finally up!

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819