Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New player here...any advice/tips would be welcome.

New player here...any advice/tips would be welcome.

So...ive just pulled the trigger on the 40 pack and im so excited to get cracking tonight and start my training and tutorials etc so i can finally dip a toe in the proverbial big black.

I can see that this game is going to eat away at A LOT of my time and thats no bad thing.

Tonight ill be getting to grips with the controls, ship, docking, travel and all the other bits in between, but i was wondering if any of you veterans had any experienced info to share to help me start out?

At first im just looking to go down the legal route.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums CMDR..

Hope you get hooked to the game like we are.. haha..

Originally Posted by IiliI PEL IiliI View Post (Source)
    So...ive just pulled the trigger on the 40 pack and im so excited to get cracking tonight and start my training and tutorials etc so i can finally dip a toe in the proverbial big black.

I can see that this game is going to eat away at A LOT of my time and thats no bad thing.

Tonight ill be getting to grips with the controls, ship, docking, travel and all the other bits in between, but i was wondering if any of you veterans had any experienced info to share to help me start out?

At first im just looking to go down the legal route.

Thanks in advance.
    THE GOLDEN RULE - NEVER FLY WITHOUT A REBUY.
    So, ALWAYS have enough in the bank to replace your current ship, preferable several times over.
    Also, stay in your starter Sidey as long as you can stomach - there's ZERO cost to replace it, but it will give you valuable flying experience.
    When you are really to upgrade, DON'T until you have several times its face value otherwise you'll end up with a nice ship with rubbish internals.

Also, WELCOME TO ONE OF TH BEST GAMES AROUND AND POSSIBLY THE SINGLE BEST GAME FORUM EVER.

Gretings and welcome to the rest of your life!

I keep a whole pile of useful stuff (tips, guides, reference lists, videos, etc) over here ...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...ewhere)-thread

Have fun with it.

Welcome cmdr

The training missions are a great place to start. Some of the final ones aren't aimed at beginners, so don't stress if you can't clear them, but they're all good practice to at least have a pop at.

In the main game, first rule is 'don't fly what you can't rebuy'. If you get blown up, you'll need to pay 5% of your ship's value as an excess - if you can't muster the cash on the spot, you lose the ship.

Right at the beginning in a basic sidewinder, that's not really a big deal (you can always take an option of a free sidewinder), but as you upgrade / move to a bigger ship, you can lose a lot of progress if you're not careful. Just keep an eye on that rebuy cost and make sure you always keep some cash spare to cover it, and you're golden.

Hope you have fun

..lol ninja'd, gg clypse..

Hi CMDR. I'm no expert but my advice would be to to just go where the game takes you. Start by doing missions to build up some credits and then have a go at trading, passenger missions and then bounty hunting. That way you'll get a sense of what you enjoy. I made my way gradually from the starting systems towards Earth but go where you want. Also, don't get into the grind, you'll see players in big expensive ships and it's easy to want them now and you'll end up slogging away at some repetitive trade route or smuggling run that stops being fun really quick. Just get lost in the game world.
    With multi crew now with us you could find a fellow Cmdr to crew up with, look for mentors.
    Finally, go into options and change the boost button to something other then B. (Same button as landing gear) Unless you want to pancake into the dock wall, everyone has at some point.

Welcome commander!!

As mentioned before, rule number ONE!!!!!!!!, never fly without rebuy.
    In the right panel you can see the rebuy price of your current ship, it's a certain percentage of the value of the ship.

With that out of the way....

Have fun, don't rush, never grind, have fun, do what you want, enjoy every ship you buy and get to know them, have fun, don't rush to the biggest ships you have to learn how to fly them in the smaller ones first, and oh in case I missed it, HAVE FUN.

Elite Dangerous is huge, take your time to discover it all, the galaxy isn't going anywhere.
    I hope you said goodbye to the life you're used to, it's gone now........

Ask anything here on this forum, realy, anything, that's how I learned what's the best way to drink Whisk......err that the B button for gear down can also boost you into the rear of a station, don't worry it happened to all of us,..........yes ALL of us, anyone who says it didn't happen to them is a liar.

I'll stop now.

Fly save Commander o7

Originally Posted by mung0 View Post (Source)
    Welcome cmdr

The training missions are a great place to start. Some of the final ones aren't aimed at beginners, so don't stress if you can't clear them, but they're all good practice to at least have a pop at.

In the main game, first rule is 'don't fly what you can't rebuy'. If you get blown up, you'll need to pay 5% of your ship's value as an excess - if you can't muster the cash on the spot, you lose the ship.

Right at the beginning in a basic sidewinder, that's not really a big deal (you can always take an option of a free sidewinder), but as you upgrade / move to a bigger ship, you can lose a lot of progress if you're not careful. Just keep an eye on that rebuy cost and make sure you always keep some cash spare to cover it, and you're golden.

Hope you have fun

..lol ninja'd, gg clypse..

Originally Posted by An 8bit Jedi View Post (Source)
    Hi CMDR. I'm no expert but my advice would be to to just go where the game takes you. Start by doing missions to build up some credits and then have a go at trading, passenger missions and then bounty hunting. That way you'll get a sense of what you enjoy. I made my way gradually from the starting systems towards Earth but go where you want. Also, don't get into the grind, you'll see players in big expensive ships and it's easy to want them now and you'll end up slogging away at some repetitive trade route or smuggling run that stops being fun really quick. Just get lost in the game world.
    With multi crew now with us you could find a fellow Cmdr to crew up with, look for mentors.
    Finally, go into options and change the boost button to something other then B. (Same button as landing gear) Unless you want to pancake into the dock wall, everyone has at some point.
    8-bit's hit some nails on their heads. Savour the progression rather than grind.
    However, I would suggest avoiding Multi-Crew until you find some CMDRs you trust there are some good groups around. ( )
    And on the Boost issue. I'd try ( in OPEN SPACE) getting a feel for the timing between a press and a hold before re-assigning. Despite many, many of us having pancaked we do develop a muscle-memory sense of how long to drop the gear instead of a boost. And that timing carries over to all the other context-sensitive Presses Vs Holds. With the B one thought the results are immediately apparent and you can train yourself to 'feel' the timing. Just a thought.

Welcome!

If i was a new player i would focus on trading first, maybe save up for a Hauler which is about 52k in credits apparently. Wouldent bother upgrading anything on a ship before that apart from, cargo racks, maybe fuel scoop. Youtube probably has some decent tips, games changed alot since i was a n00b.

I dont think you can go much wrong so just have fun!

You really want a tip?

Don't expect anything to be handed to you on a platter in Elite.

If you do it will only result in some very salty tears.

It's a game that will keep you interested for years if you go with the flow of it, but it will punish you very heavily for your mistakes, it's meant to.

Sometimes you will lose progress just cos, sometimes you will have a run of luck that will go beyond belief. It'll frustrate you, delight you and sometimes throw a massive spanner into the works.

Keep every ship you buy, make sure you have enough to cover insurance on the you are flying.

Expect to lose somewhere along the line, it will happen ( i think I've emphasised that enough).

Most of all, enjoy the journey, and everything that pokes up during it.

Oh, and take everything that is said on the forums with a grain of salt, a lot of what is said here is a rant fest.

Originally Posted by MickyG1982 View Post (Source)
    You really want a tip?

Don't expect anything to be handed to you on a platter in Elite.

If you do it will only result in some very salty tears.

It's a game that will keep you interested for years if you go with the flow of it, but it will punish you very heavily for your mistakes, it's meant to.

Sometimes you will lose progress just cos, sometimes you will have a run of luck that will go beyond belief. It'll frustrate you, delight you and sometimes throw a massive spanner into the works.

Keep every ship you buy, make sure you have enough to cover insurance on the you are flying.

Expect to lose somewhere along the line, it will happen ( i think I've emphasised that enough).

Most of all, enjoy the journey, and everything that pokes up during it.
    Yeah, if Micky didn't give it to you, ED has a near vertical learning curve. However, I like to think of that as being something that weeds out the lightweights, tbh. This is a VERY passionate community, but one forged through a shared trial by ordeal. I think that makes most of us respect our peers because we know what it takes to truly get 'into' ED.
    That you've picked it up, OP, suggests it's PROBABLY the game for you, but she will make you work for the love.
    (And then you'll find that 900+ hours have flown by...)
    +1 Micky btw

o7, CMDR.
    Best tip I can give to a new player is use the training scenario to set up your control bindings. Just bum around in the belt until you feel you have a comfortable setup.
    Its the safest place to start. Once you have your controls set and start the game proper you will get a pre flight check list to refresh yourself on your bindings.
    Good luck out there, CMDR.

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said apart from...

Take your time and savour every_single_moment. Stop, look and listen. It's all too easy to rush to try and unlock the next reward/credit/weapon/level/unlock but the reward isn't the reward. It really is all about the journey.

This is not a game that you will complete. It's a game that you will love and hate, it will frustrate you, you will loath it, you will adore it, it will entice and enthral you. There's no end game, no master level, no finish screen, except perhaps the rebuy screen.

To give you an idea of where I'm at. I've played the game loads (was an original Kickstarter), played it, left it on the shelf for 6 months, picked it up again and still love it. I'm now flying a pretty well kitted out Anaconda, almost fully A rated and engineered but here's the rub... Just prior to the recent patch I decided for the first time ever to jump on the gravy train and headed over to Quince and stacked scanner missions.

Yes I made a few hundred million over a few weeks of play, my dog missed me, the children went hungry (I made sure the dog was well fed) and my wife moaned but hey, what's new? But I had so much fun in the Sidewinder that I've now bought a wee Cobra and I'm now back flying it and having a ball. And I've also added a few other small ships to my "fleet".

Moral of the story on a single malt soaked Friday night when I said I didn't have much to add?

It doesn't matter what ship you fly nor how many credits you have in the bank. It's all about flying a ship in a chuffing huge universe with loads of stuff to see and do and loving every single moment of it.

Don't hurry ever. Enjoy every single awe inspiring moment and live it.

Originally Posted by Madcowz View Post (Source)
    I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said apart from...

Take your time and savour every_single_moment. Stop, look and listen. It's all too easy to rush to try and unlock the next reward/credit/weapon/level/unlock but the reward isn't the reward. It really is all about the journey.

This is not a game that you will complete. It's a game that you will love and hate, it will frustrate you, you will loath it, you will adore it, it will entice and enthral you. There's no end game, no master level, no finish screen, except perhaps the rebuy screen.

To give you an idea of where I'm at. I've played the game loads (was an original Kickstarter), played it, left it on the shelf for 6 months, picked it up again and still love it. I'm now flying a pretty well kitted out Anaconda, almost fully A rated and engineered but here's the rub... Just prior to the recent patch I decided for the first time ever to jump on the gravy train and headed over to Quince and stacked scanner missions.

Yes I made a few hundred million over a few weeks of play, my dog missed me, the children went hungry (I made sure the dog was well fed) and my wife moaned but hey, what's new? But I had so much fun in the Sidewinder that I've now bought a wee Cobra and I'm now back flying it and having a ball. And I've also added a few other small ships to my "fleet".

Moral of the story on a single malt soaked Friday night when I said I didn't have much to add?

It doesn't matter what ship you fly nor how many credits you have in the bank. It's all about flying a ship in a chuffing huge universe with loads of stuff to see and do and loving every single moment of it.

Don't hurry ever. Enjoy every single awe inspiring moment and live it.
    I have to agree with Madcowz...
    His wife is a moaner!

(my own disabled wife threw her cane at me for that one)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast