Page 26 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Calls General Election for 8th June 2017

Originally Posted by Sunleader View Post (Source)
    Nope.
    Its the British Parliament.

Because the English consider you part of their Empire regardless of your Opinion
    Your just a Province so dont you dare getting any funny Ideas xD
    I`m fairly definite your average English person is intelligent enough that they would jettison the North of Ireland out of the UK in an heartbeat tomorrow if they could. I can`t see too many MP`s coming over to beg people to stay, Labour have been pro United Ireland for many years, and the Lib dems would be of the same mind. Scotland is a different matter as Scottish oil and its resources are backstopping the UK economy atm despite what is spun. The British establishment know the truth, that if the Scots go, it will trigger major questions over the viability of whats left and I`m not the only person stating the obivious.

Originally Posted by Moonax IRL View Post (Source)
    No problem, I just felt the issue deserved some clarification, context and some facts.

- - - Updated - - -

Westminister is an English parliamnet in all but name, the numbers speak for themselves.

Country 2015
    England 533
    Wales 40
    Scotland 59
    Northern Ireland 18
    Total 650

To think anything else is just a delusion.

Now you should understand why Sinn Fein don`t even bother taking their seats in the place, its a running joke as far as the democratic rights of Scotland, Wales and NI are concerned.
    Country......................2015.......Population..........(Population per MP)
    England......................533........54,786,327...........102,788.6
    Wales.........................40..........3,099,086............77,477.15
    Scotland.....................59..........5,373,000............91,067.8
    Northern Ireland..........18..........1,851,621............102,867

Well blow me down with a wet feather duster. That's a huge democratic deficit. NI seriously needs to have a word with Wales and Scotland and nick some of their MP"s. I'd suggest tonight, sometime between 10 and pub kicking out time. They'll all be out on the lash for the weekend and not notice. Then when they wake up tomorrow just ask them if they've checked the back of the sofa for their extra MP's.
    Trust: Judge someone by what they do, not what say.

Originally Posted by Spook View Post (Source)
    Country......................2015.......Population..........(Population per MP)
    England......................533........54,786,327...........102,788.6
    Wales.........................40..........3,099,086............77477.15
    Scotland.....................59..........5,373,000............91067.8
    Northern Ireland..........18..........1,851,621............102867

Well blow me down with a wet feather duster. That's a huge democratic deficit. NI seriously needs to have a word with Wales and Scotland and nick some of their MP"s. I'd suggest tonight, sometime between 10 and pub kicking out time. They'll all be out on the lash for the weekend and not notice. Then when they wake up tomorrow just ask them if they've checked the back of the sofa for their extra MP's.
    Mathematics is a b/tch, you just can`t fudge the numbers.

Originally Posted by Moonax IRL View Post (Source)
    Mathematics is a b/tch, you just can`t fudge the numbers.
    Sussed it, by my sums, (could be wrong I run out of fingers and the dog run off when I grabbed his tail), NI are due 0.56 of an MP.

I'll tell you what, I can lop one of the old ones in half and stick him in the mail. They should be there by about next Tuesday If I catch the first post.

If you don't want a used one though we may be able to come to a time sharing agreement, NI can have them Monday, Tuesday and a half day Wednesday with alternate weekends - how does that sound?
    Trust: Judge someone by what they do, not what say.

This user was unable to follow the forum rules and ended up banned or suspended! :(
    Labours Party political TV message gets massive reaction as it goes viral

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sussed it, by my sums, (could be wrong I run out of fingers and the dog run off when I grabbed his tail), NI are due 0.56 of an MP.

I'll tell you what, I can lop one of the old ones in half and stick him in the mail. They should be there by about next Tuesday If I catch the first post.

If you don't want a used one though we may be able to come to a time sharing agreement, NI can have them Monday, Tuesday and a half day Wednesday with alternate weekends - how does that sound?
    Loving your posts, very funny!(Rep your way when i can).... hope you get your dog back soon

Commander Illu Minti..Imperial Agent of the Empire/Illuminati Group
    Battlesong Victory Not Vengeance

Would a link to this video (well, audio, actually - not much to see there) be inappropriate in this context, or could it still be classified as dry humour?

If I'm bigger than you, then I'm in charge.
    If you are bigger than me, then you're in charge.
    If anything goes wrong, then he's in charge.
    -- credo of the orc marines

Originally Posted by Lianachan View Post (Source)
    Can anybody find any significant difference between May's policies and the BNP manifesto of 2005, asks former U.K. ambassador.
    When you're far off to the left, pretty much everyone looks like the BNP. The same explains much of the thinking and commentary in this thread too.

On that note though, does anyone have any thoughts on when manifestos are likely to start appearing?

Originally Posted by Talarin View Post (Source)
    On that note though, does anyone have any thoughts on when manifestos are likely to start appearing?
    Nothing has been said. I can imagine a mad scramble though, it's a bit of a bolt from the blue. Not that a manifesto means that much, it's not a contract and with most administrations they are ignored as soon as power is secured.
    http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/WC_Yaffle/yafflesig2_zps1f3a9858.png

Originally Posted by Yaffle View Post (Source)
    Nothing has been said. I can imagine a mad scramble though, it's a bit of a bolt from the blue. Not that a manifesto means that much, it's not a contract and with most administrations they are ignored as soon as power is secured.
    I wonder if that's not something that's core to the current political problems (globally, not just UK).

Election promises should be legally binding, and if the politician/party can't implement the promise, there'd better be a very VERY good reason for why it can't, and that needs to be independently reviewed and confirmed. Otherwise punishment ranging from fines/expulsion all the way up to imprisonment IMHO.

Get everybody to make realistic promises, and voters would actually know what they're voting for, rather than the moon-onna-stick that's being bandied about by everyone prior to elections, and the bleep-onna-stick that's handed out afterwards.

- Micha |CMDR Myshka Kronosky|Asp Explorer "Alacritious"|Distant Worlds CMDR #254|

Originally Posted by Micha View Post (Source)
    I wonder if that's not something that's core to the current political problems (globally, not just UK).

Election promises should be legally binding, and if the politician/party can't implement the promise, there'd better be a very VERY good reason for why it can't, and that needs to be independently reviewed and confirmed. Otherwise punishment ranging from fines/expulsion all the way up to imprisonment IMHO.

Get everybody to make realistic promises, and voters would actually know what they're voting for, rather than the moon-onna-stick that's being bandied about by everyone prior to elections, and the bleep-onna-stick that's handed out afterwards.
    That's not how politics and humans work.

If you want to make a decision in your own interest, you don't wait for someone to knock on your door and talk about your issues. You go out and do your own research.

How did May vote in the past?
    https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10...idenhead/votes

You standard right-wing conservative with a few notable and a few unnotable exceptions.

Almost always voted against a right to remain for EU nationals already in living in the UKShow votes0 votes for, 8 votes against, 4 absences, between 2016–2017 *)

Generally voted for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax")

*) And I guesstimate someone on the EU side of negotiations studied her a lot better than I did and drew the red line exactly where they can break her position. Economically it makes no sense to evict EU residents with a UK job, just one of those nationalist little spiels that can easiely turn sour if businesses, mix couples etc. raise to the defense of EU citizens rights. Also nice side dish of offering UK pass holders in the EU the same rights.

I think they should scribe their election promises on giant slabs of stone so we can see them forever.. Oh wait...

Originally Posted by Boomer Kay View Post (Source)
    You standard right-wing conservative with a few notable and a few unnotable exceptions.
    In some ways her and her cohorts embody the very worst of both the right and the left.

But, as I am sure a lot of the more historically and politically savvy people here are aware, extremes of right and left are pretty much indistinguishable.

Originally Posted by Boomer Kay View Post (Source)
    *) And I guesstimate someone on the EU side of negotiations studied her a lot better than I did and drew the red line exactly where they can break her position. Economically it makes no sense to evict EU residents with a UK job, just one of those nationalist little spiels that can easiely turn sour if businesses, mix couples etc. raise to the defense of EU citizens rights. Also nice side dish of offering UK pass holders in the EU the same rights.
    Her problem is that politically she is tied to it, even it is damaging. Particularly when Spain start sending back all the British immigrants who have retired there, who are retired, and will put further strains on the UK health system right at a time when it is throwing doctors out of the country. I think that most of the Conservative party backers, large businesses and corporations, will abandon her in short order once things start in earnest. Faced with a rather ludicrious bunch of fantasists on the left and a bunch of mad nationalists on the right such businesses interests might start a centerist party.

Originally Posted by Talarin View Post (Source)
    A slightly, but not very, more helpful answer from the BBC

Many of you have been in touch with questions about the upcoming general election. Andy Booker was one of several to ask when the parties' manifestos will be published.

None of the major UK political parties contacted by the BBC were able to provide a firm date for the publication of their manifestos at this stage.

The Liberal Democrats expect to be able to set a date within the next couple of weeks, while the BBC understands that the Labour manifesto will be finalised in the second week of May.

Before the last general election, in 2015, the major parties launched their manifestos within days of each other in mid-April, about three weeks before the country went to the polls on 7 May.

If a similar timetable were to be adopted this year, manifestos could be expected in mid-May ahead of the election on 8 June.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-39628713
    http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/WC_Yaffle/yafflesig2_zps1f3a9858.png

Originally Posted by Yaffle View Post (Source)
    A slightly, but not very, more helpful answer from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-39628713
    The BBC are about as trustworthy as the politicians, so we'll see when we see. Not that I plan on believing a single word of it.

Siobhán Light-showers-born of House Mobius, the 42nd
    of her Name
    Queen of the Carebears, The Forums and the 1st Posts
    Heir to the Porcelain Throne
    Khaleesi of Her Own Kitchen
    Breaker of Plates
    Mother of Kittens
    and The Voice of Voicy McVoiceFace

Blog Posts

Page 26 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast