Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142

Thread: UK Calls General Election for 8th June 2017

Taking time out to.get back on topic.

One of the arguments May is putting forward is that a big conservative majority will.strengthen her hand at EU negotiations.

I'm not sure this is.true.

From the EU's perspective the uk's internal.politics is largely irrelevant.

Saying "I have a big majority, so give the UK X" won't work. It didn't for Greece.

The only effect I can see would be if the UK were to go for a "soft" brexit a larger conservative majority Moby make getting the deal.passed by parliament easier, whereas at the moment it inly takes a few hard brexit backbenchers to cause trouble.

Ironically a bigger majority might lead to a softer brexit...... Or it might not.....who knows.

What is clear is that the UK government's majority isn't going to improve any deal.offered.bu the EU (and it will be a deal.offered by the EU for the UK to accept,not the other way around).

Originally Posted by beelbeebub View Post (Source)
    Taking time out to.get back on topic.

One of the arguments May is putting forward is that a big conservative majority will.strengthen her hand at EU negotiations.

I'm not sure this is.true.

From the EU's perspective the uk's internal.politics is largely irrelevant.

Saying "I have a big majority, so give the UK X" won't work. It didn't for Greece.

The only effect I can see would be if the UK were to go for a "soft" brexit a larger conservative majority Moby make getting the deal.passed by parliament easier, whereas at the moment it inly takes a few hard brexit backbenchers to cause trouble.

Ironically a bigger majority might lead to a softer brexit...... Or it might not.....who knows.

What is clear is that the UK government's majority isn't going to improve any deal.offered.bu the EU (and it will be a deal.offered by the EU for the UK to accept,not the other way around).
    I agree. That is the line that May is selling to people, and I suspect that a lot of people will fall for it hook line and sinker. It's the similar tactics that the guy in Turkey is using - I need a bigger mandate to sort things out. However in the UK she can probably more easily get away with it because of the issues with other parties.

Doesn't fool me though. The real reasons are entirely related to internal politics within the Conservative party, plus a generous measure of opportunism.

She don't need the mandate to sort things out she need it to shape the country as she wants. "slight" difference.
    Ranks; deadly 70%, entrepreneur 35%, ranger 17%, professional (later)

Ships; Cobra MK III; Uraeus, Python; Vindicator, Asp; Void walker. Anaconda; Tiamat

Originally Posted by Javert View Post (Source)
    Doesn't fool me though. The real reasons are entirely related to internal politics within the Conservative party, plus a generous measure of opportunism.
    I'm not sure that there actually aren't a multitude of reasons - as opposed to "real ones" and "pr ones", if you see what I mean.

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142