Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 57 of 57

Thread: Advice for a Rookie Explorer

  1. #46

  2. #47
    double post

  3. #48
    Originally Posted by Maxmilian Czhilli View Post (Source)
    I'm currently 10 months into my first long distance exploration trip.
    10 months! But how much real time is that? Do you fire up ED daily? How many hours?

  4. #49
    Great info in here, thank you guys.

    I wonder about this
    Originally Posted by SlackR View Post (Source)
    I think that Colonia is a brave but safe starting point for a new explorer. It is ambitious enough to make you feel you are really "out there", but there are enough stopover bases along the way to keep you from getting space madness!
    Where does one find those stopover bases along the way? Ok If I follow a 'known path', systems are mapped and I can check the map to see where the next base is (although: there is no map filter for "show populated systems"?)

    But heading out into the great unknown ... It would be pure luck to encounter a system with a base to dock at, right? Are there any/randomly populated systems out there at all? Can one learn how to look out for them?

  5. #50
    Originally Posted by Taronas View Post (Source)
    Great info in here, thank you guys.

    I wonder about this


    Where does one find those stopover bases along the way? Ok If I follow a 'known path', systems are mapped and I can check the map to see where the next base is (although: there is no map filter for "show populated systems"?)

    But heading out into the great unknown ... It would be pure luck to encounter a system with a base to dock at, right? Are there any/randomly populated systems out there at all? Can one learn how to look out for them?
    As some of the old hands will happily tell you , "back in the day" you used to have to travel all the way to Colonia in a tea cup using your snot as fuel before you could call yourself an explorer but these days we have it so much better, and you will often be reminded of that . There are a few staging posts along the way where you can at least refuel , though I cant remember if repairs are available . Here is a list of the waypoints and bases,

    Hillary Depot – Blu Thua AI-A c14-10, planet A 4 A

    Amundsen Terminal – Lagoon Sector NI-S b4-10, planet 1

    Eagle's Landing – Eagle Sector IR-W d1-117, planet 2 A

    Sacaqawea Space Port – Skaudai CH-B d14-34, planet 1 A

    Gagarin Gate – Gru Hypue KS-T d3-31, planet 4

    Polo Harbour – Boewnst KS-S c20-959, planet A 2 A

    Good luck hope it helps.

    (in addition , since the 2.3 update there have been added further features outside the Bubble that may offer assistance as staging posts for further exploration)
    O'Carey's Law. There will always be a Type 9 coming in when you hit the boost button on the way out.

  6. #51
    Originally Posted by Taronas View Post (Source)
    10 months! But how much real time is that? Do you fire up ED daily? How many hours?
    it's mad isn't it? I've heard of people being out there for two years.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Originally Posted by through the hole backwards View Post (Source)
    As some of the old hands will happily tell you , "back in the day" you used to have to travel all the way to Colonia in a tea cup using your snot as fuel before you could call yourself an explorer but these days we have it so much better, and you will often be reminded of that . There are a few staging posts along the way where you can at least refuel , though I cant remember if repairs are available . Here is a list of the waypoints and bases,

    Hillary Depot – Blu Thua AI-A c14-10, planet A 4 A

    Amundsen Terminal – Lagoon Sector NI-S b4-10, planet 1

    Eagle's Landing – Eagle Sector IR-W d1-117, planet 2 A

    Sacaqawea Space Port – Skaudai CH-B d14-34, planet 1 A

    Gagarin Gate – Gru Hypue KS-T d3-31, planet 4

    Polo Harbour – Boewnst KS-S c20-959, planet A 2 A

    Good luck hope it helps.

    (in addition , since the 2.3 update there have been added further features outside the Bubble that may offer assistance as staging posts for further exploration)
    Brilliant! I will have to save this when I next go out, least the space madness takes a hold of me.

  7. #52
    Originally Posted by Templehof View Post (Source)
    it's mad isn't it? I've heard of people being out there for two years.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Brilliant! I will have to save this when I next go out, least the space madness takes a hold of me.
    ..and don't forget to sell your data at each stop-over. (They all have cartographics)...and by the time you reach Colonia you will be allied status with them.

    I can't remember either whether the posts had repair facilities as I wasn't damaged. They are all on planets though and as such have large landing pad.

  8. #53
    Just stopped at Sacaqawea (extremely beautiful landscape) and Gagarin Gate; both have repairs (did hull intergrity repairs) and restock and cartographers available.

    I really like these planetary outposts - they add to the atmosphere of exploring. Gradual transition from the Bubble to the Colonial Trail and after Colonia the vast wilderness... I just love it!

    ...All we need is indians...
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help"
    -Ronald Reagan-

    Ships:
    A Horse with No Name
    Suzie Q
    Surfin' Bird
    Whole Lotta Rosie
    Easy Livin'

  9. #54
    Originally Posted by through the hole backwards View Post (Source)
    As some of the old hands will happily tell you , "back in the day" you used to have to travel all the way to Colonia in a tea cup using your snot as fuel before you could call yourself an explorer but these days we have it so much better, and you will often be reminded of that . There are a few staging posts along the way where you can at least refuel , though I cant remember if repairs are available . Here is a list of the waypoints and bases,
    Would we do that? Also FSD ranges are now increased through engineering Oh and financials for scanning have had a big boost...

  10. #55
    Originally Posted by Rob_the_Sparky View Post (Source)
    Would we do that? Also FSD ranges are now increased through engineering Oh and financials for scanning have had a big boost...

    O'Carey's Law. There will always be a Type 9 coming in when you hit the boost button on the way out.

  11. #56
    Originally Posted by Rebel801 View Post (Source)
    Your first build has a good jump range considering the load out, you must have a had a pretty decent roll on the FSD.
    Optimal mass +55.3%. I think that was the day I stopped complaining about RNGineers.

    Originally Posted by Rebel801 View Post (Source)
    Happy exploring CMDR
    Thank you CMDR o7


    Astronomy compels the soul to look upward, and leads us from this world to another.
    - Plato, 342 B.C.

  12. #57
    Originally Posted by Rebel801 View Post (Source)
    just got a python last night so try it out. might make it my explorer and combat build... thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234