Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: A short tale of how FD lost another paying customer.

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post (Source)
    Give me 3rd class passenger modules with cheap rooms to ferry loads of colonists to Colonia. The tickets don't have to be millions each. The colonies there can increase the number of inhabitants and actually develop as a result of player actions.
    Why involve players when the colonies already develop as a result of magical dev action? If you were going that way, the workers/resource rich *bubble* itself might actually expand and develop instead of being frozen in time while that place 21k ly away devoid of anything but utterly common raw materials thrives and grows... #sothisstillunderconstruction

Originally Posted by william1134 View Post (Source)
    Personally I think it is a bad game decision where FD have made it so that you will always be a completely insignificant fish in a big ocean.

ie, nothing you do ever matters
    Oh it matters alright, just not to other people.

But the other side to that coin is, if we were all heralded as the stalwart heroes with a big impact in the galaxy we would cause a stalwart hero inflation. Say you are a big fish in the ocean, just like the other thousands of CMDRs.

What is it what you want to do that matters?

Originally Posted by NeilF View Post (Source)
    Freak!
    Well, if we follow that through to a logical conclusion?

What's more important? New sales or retention? What's more important, shiney new developments for marketing and games website articles? Or content to make players' gameplay more interesting (which won't result in sexy adverts/articles)?
    It's a valid question, but I doubt we can tell from the outside what the balance is between new sales, and continued sales (of seasonal expansions, of shiny fluff from the shop) which comes from better retention.

Marketing will always have a push for new or improved features, which can lead directly to marketing material, but there is always a very long list of non-new feature bugfixes and improvements in every point release changelog which tells me that fixing and developing the core game is still receiving plenty of developer attention.

It's also the case that you cannot simply switch developers from one part of the project to another without cost. It wouldn't be very clever to get graphics artists and coders to look at the network code, or AI programmers to delve into the depths of the BGS. Certainly FD will have people who could develop in many areas, but switching people across teams without good cause or for a longish period is counterproductive (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month)

So in summary, I'm pretty sure FD has a good idea of who their core audience is, how much they are gaining from user retention vs new sales, and will be resourcing new vs existing feature development with that all in mind. That this process is opaque to us on the forums doesn't mean it isn't happening, and if something in their perceived priorities doesn't immediately make sense to us, it's probably because we don't have the full set of information which informed that decision.

Not that they will always get it right, of course, but second guessing from the peanut gallery needn't be done with the level of aggression and with the tone of voice that is often employed here. (Quoted poster not guilty of that, I hasten to add)

Originally Posted by william1134 View Post (Source)
    Personally I think it is a bad game decision where FD have made it so that you will always be a completely insignificant fish in a big ocean.

ie, nothing you do ever matters
    Errr, I feel rather the opposite. Player action disproportionately decides everything. The BGS is despairingly static by itself. Whether it's by accident because a station happens to be in a popular mission hotspot ot because of deliberate action, anything noticeable with regards to system/station control and allegiance is down to players and players only. Just look at CGs... Even superpowers with massive economies and navies are incapable of developing an outpost without the help of a couple hundred independent pilots...

Imho we are not insignificant enough. Due to their scale, we should be able to contribute to the growth and stability of automatically spawned tiny settlements through shipping, workers/colonists hauling, security/criminal action. Multi-million inhabitants systems should be beyond the reach of our influence.

Originally Posted by SpongeJim View Post (Source)
    I'm just stating facts, if you can't give a thoughtful response that's on you.
    If you think the statement "it appears there are a lot of reading impaired people jumping on the attack bandwagon" is an innocent, objective statement of fact, you cannot be reasoned with and no amount of patience on my part is worth wasting on you. Nor on the rest of your post, which was full of insults, but sorely lacking in any sort of thoughtful ripostes.

And thus, has another user ended up on my ignore list.

Originally Posted by V'larr View Post (Source)
    If you think the statement "it appears there are a lot of reading impaired people jumping on the attack bandwagon" is an innocent, objective statement of fact, you cannot be reasoned with and no amount of patience on my part is worth wasting on you. Nor on the rest of your post, which was full of insults, but sorely lacking in any sort of thoughtful ripostes.

And thus, has another user ended up on my ignore list.
    *boom* thanks for playing!

Originally Posted by vindelanos View Post (Source)
    Really, you mean like all of the times it was suggested prior to 2.3, even formally, and it didn't happen? Suggestions like "Hey, FD, how about making tourism stations the hub for big pools of sightseeing missions so that in other places there could be many more bulk-type missions where it would make sense and be used for cool BGS work? That didn't happen. Stop in at any greasy refinery in the galaxy and the passenger lounge is packed with wealthy tourists wanting to go on some three week long journey.

I remember the passengers announcements.

FD: We're gonna do passenger missions!
    Players: Yeah, let's have prisoners and scientists and politicians and and stuff!
    FD: Anyone... want to visit nebulae?
    Players: Yeah, let's have cool missions where we transport soldiers and refugees during war and rebels and stuff!
    FD: What about like nebulae and stuff?
    Players: Yeah, and I wanna do corporate transport and haul workers to refineries and all kinds of stuff!

2.2 Drops, visit a passenger lounge at Poopie Extraction Depot in Boondocks System...
    Transport Wealthy Dude to XYZ 15,000 Ly
    Oh, and 11 scientists seeking transport.
    And someone was paid to get this deep game design. Frankly.

Originally Posted by Fishy View Post (Source)
    I spend plenty of time in and around a prison system. One that even has a fancy new prison megaship. I haven't seen a single actual prisoners transport mission yet. Tourists however, ugh...
    Where did you find your prison megaship? I really have wanted to visit one. Is there really nothing to it? I figured it would be a place to pick up prisoner cabins and prisoner missions?

Originally Posted by Demascus View Post (Source)
    Oh really, what path was that? To me it sounds like he tried a bit of everything. Also... how is anything in this classified as "jaded"?
    Well, it all depends on how he worded things with his friend. If he literally said "Now you have to do a bunch of boring stuff to unlock more engineers to make your ship PvP worthy" then the attitude he had while saying that would be considered jaded.

That time when you realize that your "friend" is nothing more than an exploiting .
    Fin

Originally Posted by NMS View Post (Source)
    And someone was paid to get this deep game design. Frankly.
    Kind of reminds you of No Man's Sky development, doesn't it?

Originally Posted by vindelanos View Post (Source)
    Where did you find your prison megaship? I really have wanted to visit one. Is there really nothing to it? I figured it would be a place to pick up prisoner cabins and prisoner missions?
    Milscothach, it's orbiting Milsothach 1 A, just by the outpost. Sadly, no, it's not dockable, it's just there. No comms interaction, and nothing much happening around either, I didn't even see a single Wanted ship fly in. The prison colony outpost nearby (Hennepin) still has the usual tourists and CEOs looking for holidays.

Originally Posted by Fishy View Post (Source)
    Milscothach, it's orbiting Milsothach 1 A, just by the outpost. Sadly, no, it's not dockable, it's just there. No comms interaction, and nothing much happening around either, I didn't even see a single Wanted ship fly in. The prison colony outpost nearby (Hennepin) still has the usual tourists and CEOs looking for holidays.

Just another feature included in bare bones and without purpose. Great.

Originally Posted by NMS View Post (Source)
    Just another feature included in bare bones and without purpose. Great.
    haters gonna hate...

Originally Posted by fademist View Post (Source)
    haters gonna hate...
    What do you even mean? Are you saying what he said is wrong and he's just hating for the sake of it? Seems to me that what he said is spot on. Why don't you try to refute what he said instead of just trying to be inflammatory? If that's beyond you, or if what he's said is irrefutable and you have absolutely nothing to add to the discussion, why not just say nothing?

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast