Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Thread: A short tale of how FD lost another paying customer.

But.. But... Bob though??

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post (Source)
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...-no-man-s-land

And I was told this was suggested way in the beginning. But you can imagine the cr/h traders would not be pleased with this adjustment.
    That sounds a similar idea to my blockade suggestion then?

ie: A station under blockade (by what ever mechanics invokes that, eg: the background sim decides there's one at station X), you exit SC say 50-100km out somewhere in a large area around a "blockade distrupter". The purpose of this would be so ships arriving at the station would not appear 5-10km away from the station, but instead far further out, in a defined large region. Why a large region? Because you wouldn't want all ships arriving simply popping up in the same spot.

Also, any ships arriving (at the distrupter) would be deemed "neutral" until they flew at least a few kilometers at which time they are then deemed "in play"... (There could be some sort of no fire zone around the distrupter? Which could enforce this as per a station?)

So as a CMDR flying to such a station, I'd suggest if you were to look at the station on the HUD, it should tell you it was under blockade, and when you arrive at the station you'd be (for example) 75-100km away (due to the distrupter). In the distance you'd probably see significant "traffic", maybe laser fire, and maybe (in extreme cases) a capital ship off in the distance? A soon as you travel a few KM you'd be instantly marked as "in play". eg: On teh side of the blockade or not.

With a station under blockade:-
    1) Missions nearby could be generated to deliver goods (now worth more).
    2) Missions nearby could be generated to extract passengers (now paying more).
    3) Missions nearby could be generated to try and break the blockade (think CZ).
    4) Missions nearby could be generated to try and enforce the blockade (think CZ).

So in OPEN, a blockaded station could become a mini CG in effect as regards player interaction.

I would also say:-
    • Blockaded stations should be rare. You don't want these to be watered down due to there being loads of them.
    • Blockaded stations could (should) be utilised by Powerplay for systems in dispute and for Powerplay tasks? ie: Deliver X to blockaded station. Prevent enemy ships reaching station.
    • Blockaded stations could be utilised for CGs.

ps: Imagine a blockade at one of the new Asteroid bases, and having to fly through the asteroid field to get to it Imagine also if CQC's line of sight mechanics was implemented in the main game, so asteroids blocked scanner targets!

pps: Ships leaving the station... Would they simply need to get the 5km or so away before being able to jump? Or would they need to get much further away? I'd suggest the former. They've already run the blockade once getting there...

Originally Posted by Rob At Work View Post (Source)
    Don't worry about Bob Rob.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by NeilF View Post (Source)
    That sounds a similar idea to my blockade suggestion then?

ie: A station under blockade (by what ever mechanics invokes that, eg: the background sim decides there's one at station X), you exit SC say 50-100km out somewhere in a large area around a "blockade distrupter". The purpose of this would be so ships arriving at the station would not appear 5-10km away from the station, but instead far further out, in a defined large region. Why a large region? Because you wouldn't want all ships arriving simply popping up in the same spot.

Also, any ships arriving (as the distrupter) would be deemed "neutral" until they flew at least a few kilometers at which time they are then deemed "in play"... (There could be some sort of no fire zone around the distrupter? Which could enforce this as per a station?)

So as a CMDR flying to such a station, I'd suggest if you were to look at the station on the HUD, it should tell you it was under blockade, and when you arrive at the station you'd be (for example) 75-100km away (due to the distrupter). In the distance you'd probably see significant "traffic", maybe laser fire, and maybe (in extreme cases) a capital ship off in the distance? A soon as you travel a few KM you'd be instantly marked as "in play". eg: On teh side of the blockade or not.

With a station under blockade:-
    1) Missions nearby could be generated to deliver goods (now worth more).
    2) Missions nearby could be generated to extract passengers (now paying more).
    3) Missions nearby could be generated to try and break the blockade (think CZ).
    4) Missions nearby could be generated to try and enforce the blockade (think CZ).

So in OPEN, a blockaded station could become a mini CG in effect as regards player interaction.

I would also say:-
    • Blockaded stations should be rare. You don't want these to be watered down due to there being loads of them.
    • Blockaded stations could (should) be utilised by Powerplay for systems in dispute and for Powerplay tasks? ie: Deliver X to blockaded station. Prevent enemy ships reaching station.
    • Blockaded stations could be utilised for CGs.

ps: Imagine a blockade at one of the new Asteroid bases, and having to fly through the asteroid field to get to it Imagine also if CQC's line of sight mechanics was implemented in the main game, so asteroids blocked scanner targets!
    Maybe tie blockades to system status like lockdown and war?

This user was unable to follow the forum rules and ended up banned or suspended! :(
    Originally Posted by Rob At Work View Post (Source)
    Bob is fine, Bob has Player Unknown Battle Grounds
    Original 1984 Player

Reeeeeeeeeeeee

This user was unable to follow the forum rules and ended up banned or suspended! :(
    Originally Posted by V'larr View Post (Source)
    Because you were remarking how unique an experience the map in TD is...it's clear that you enjoy it for what it is, but unique? Hardly.

I'm sorry but...who's counting? Did you actually have a means of coming up with these figures or are you just tossing them out of thin air?

I think 30 ships are plenty (and there's going to be more). Part of the reason I don't care to get into EVE is the overabundance of different ship types. K.I.S.S. principle and all that. I've experienced what it's like to have more different available vehicles in <insert MMO vehicle shooter here> games, and frankly, almost all of those 'different' vehicles just wind up feeling exactly the same anyway with only three or four archetypes.

Earth, I assure you, does not just look "like every other ELW". It's fully accurate to our Earth (though I'm not sure if it's adjusted to represent the Elite 3300s version of Earth). It helps to turn on ultra detail if you go for a visit. And atmospheric landings is in the works....

If planets are appearing like poorly rendered jpegs to you, I would put that down to your graphics settings or graphics card limitations. Even on my 550 ti, with the right settings, they can look amazing (at lower-than-ideal FPS). Watching streamers with high-end equipment around planets is nothing short of breathtaking.

I dare you to find two planets that are *exactly* the same.

Generally I don't go planet-hunting though unless I'm in the mood for exploration, because it takes time and I'm usually doing something else. And I can't exactly avoid looking at planets when doing Engineer things!

Ever heard of TRAPPIST-1? Yeah, that stuff's ingame now. So no, it's not just all "made up". The fact we can 'skip' most of space with hyperjumps also helps to alleviate that emptiness....

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-m...er-have-2016-7

Even real life astronomical experts can't get it right, according to this article. Somehow I don't think it's a dealbreaker.

That...goes for any NPCs in any game, ever. Even Mass Effect, a game extolled for its characterization virtues, had NPCs that more or less mindlessly repeated the same lines every time you walked past. (And Borderlands takes it to a new level of insanely annoying, for some reason.)

I'm starting to think the game is fine, and that you've simply burnt yourself out on it, hard. Sometimes taking a break is the right thing to do.

The creation of Holo-me, the fully-detailed ship interiors, and who knows what's detailed inside stations...and you really think that feature isn't in the works?
    __

OK the first point you made about "unique" you are flat out wrong. I never said anything about unique so try and get it right and great start to a rebuttal to start off getting your first point 100% wrong. With such a tiny amount I wrote I'm not holding my breat your reading comprehension is going to get much better but here's my post again for you so you can see I mentioned nothing about anything being "unique"

Ooh I can weigh in here because I love The Division. Ok, maybe not love it but was having a blast following the story with a mate in coop play. When TD first came out I wasn't interested. TTK was way to long and the ai looked naff but then survival came out and it was half price on steam so I got it. I like the story and got passed the TTK enough so it wasn't an issue. They also have underground which generate missions for you.

TD, for me at any rate, is way more enjoyable that FD. For one, the map is fantastic. Sorry, ED has great visuals for ships and stations but they never change. They all look the same after a while and mostly, you're zipping passed big circles and landing at stations. TD has times square and all these other places to go see plus all the other things like the animals and other people surviving (though I do have some gripes.... Mate, stop trying the door handle and use a brick! - also if power's such an issue, why are their so many adverts using megawatts of electricity lol).

The repetition I haven't felt as I'm still playing the story but also be aware that once the story is done, I'll play a little underground and survival and then I'm dropping the game as done. For me TD is not a game that has any life in it. I've seen the PVP and how that sucks and has issues and really, I'm not interested in 3rd person PVP so TD definitely has a shelf life.

ED on the other hand I was hoping for a little bit more.
    No onto the art assets. The clothing and weapon assests ALONE probably trump ED 10 times over but then we can look at al lthe interiro design of buildings, all the house hold items, doors, windows, lights not to mention the thousands of assets outside on the street with hundreds of buildings and that doesn't mention all the cars either and we still haven't got into the living beings walking around nor the underground areas. Compare that to 25 ships, a handful of stations.

OK next, Earth.... just as I said, looks like any other ELW and here's the evidence

Seen one, seen them all. Just how many jpegs do they have in their library database? All the planets look the same (I'm not talking about PG generated worlds but I made that obvious in my post when I called them jpegs in space - obviously referring to non-landable planets and I've seen that same potato one a thousand times and the purple gas giant one a few hundred oh and the exact same suns all over the place (though to be fair, not sure a sun is going to be that much different lol)

BTW - I run my graphics on ultra - maybe you haven't noticed them?

Ever heard of https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/?

When you mentioned Trappist 1 I'm not really sure why. One system out of billions makes the 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999% left over not made up? When you have 99.9999999999999999% of something unknown by the very numbers it means you are making stuff up! We've only found 3500 planets in the entire universe so yes, they are very much making it up along with all the stars they can't see.

Whilst you might not care that our own solar system isn't even done right with the right care other people do. It's smells of lazy and you posting a link to who says what still doesn't address the fact it's missing moons.

Yes NPC's repeat things, there's not much to get around that but at least they're not coming for that "tasty cargo" when your hold is empty LOL.

I'm not burned out, I just recognise sloppy design and cut & paste. I observe a lot of things and notice a lot. I'm not the only to have either. Other posters have complained about the same looking planets

As for spacelegs all I can go on is Sandro's comments about it where he was dismissive so much there was a whole thread about it wondering if spacelegs was now a distant dream away.

So yes, I don't think that feature is in the works because Sandro also said that ONLY IF the new HoloMe thing was popular would they develope it further. Well that's one way to get out of making something. Make it crap then when people don't play it you have the excuse to say "Well Holome wasn't popular so we're not doing space legs now as the community has spoken"

Originally Posted by Jex =TE= View Post (Source)
    OK the first point you made about "unique" you are flat out wrong. I never said anything about unique so try and get it right and great start to a rebuttal to start off getting your first point 100% wrong. With such a tiny amount I wrote I'm not holding my breat your reading comprehension is going to get much better but here's my post again for you so you can see I mentioned nothing about anything being "unique"

No onto the art assets. The clothing and weapon assests ALONE probably trump ED 10 times over but then we can look at al lthe interiro design of buildings, all the house hold items, doors, windows, lights not to mention the thousands of assets outside on the street with hundreds of buildings and that doesn't mention all the cars either and we still haven't got into the living beings walking around nor the underground areas. Compare that to 25 ships, a handful of stations.

OK next, Earth.... just as I said, looks like any other ELW and here's the evidence

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wg5Z2eGuVzM/maxresdefault.jpg

https://rebmanet.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/elw.jpg

Seen one, seen them all. Just how many jpegs do they have in their library database? All the planets look the same (I'm not talking about PG generated worlds but I made that obvious in my post when I called them jpegs in space - obviously referring to non-landable planets and I've seen that same potato one a thousand times and the purple gas giant one a few hundred oh and the exact same suns all over the place (though to be fair, not sure a sun is going to be that much different lol)

BTW - I run my graphics on ultra - maybe you haven't noticed them?

Ever heard of https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/?

When you mentioned Trappist 1 I'm not really sure why. One system out of billions makes the 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999% left over not made up? When you have 99.9999999999999999% of something unknown by the very numbers it means you are making stuff up! We've only found 3500 planets in the entire universe so yes, they are very much making it up along with all the stars they can't see.

Whilst you might not care that our own solar system isn't even done right with the right care other people do. It's smells of lazy and you posting a link to who says what still doesn't address the fact it's missing moons.

Yes NPC's repeat things, there's not much to get around that but at least they're not coming for that "tasty cargo" when your hold is empty LOL.

I'm not burned out, I just recognise sloppy design and cut & paste. I observe a lot of things and notice a lot. I'm not the only to have either. Other posters have complained about the same looking planets

As for spacelegs all I can go on is Sandro's comments about it where he was dismissive so much there was a whole thread about it wondering if spacelegs was now a distant dream away.

So yes, I don't think that feature is in the works because Sandro also said that ONLY IF the new HoloMe thing was popular would they develope it further. Well that's one way to get out of making something. Make it crap then when people don't play it you have the excuse to say "Well Holome wasn't popular so we're not doing space legs now as the community has spoken"
    You need to imagine harder!
    Original 1984 Player

Reeeeeeeeeeeee

I played the original Elite around 1984 and I am very happy with Elite Dangerous today. I have been playing it since the Alpha and I am not bored yet. I play 3 or 4 hour sessions almost daily but I do have breaks of more than 2 or 3 days but when I have time to entertain myself with a game I will most certainly use Elite Dangerous. IMHO people who play for 12 or 18 hours a day will probably get bored with their game or finish it (story driven) very soon. I am still trying to rank up on everything you can rank up on but what really drives me is the exploration of planets up close. If you like astronomy and are curious of what is out there this is the best simulator.
    Apart from this, I remember in the good old days a software company called Imagine. Their motto was 'IMAGINE - The Name Of The Game' . Elite has never been story driven which means you can never finish it but you do need some imagination to keep going.
    There is no right or wrong here, the book of tastes has not been written. This is just interactive entertainment and you have to use it in the right amounts and use the ones that make you feel good.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HighResScreenShot_2017-04-04_18-43-35.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	119378

Originally Posted by Jex =TE= View Post (Source)
    Your words here: "ED has great visuals for ships and stations but they never change. They all look the same after a while and mostly, you're zipping passed big circles and landing at stations. TD has times square and all these other places to go see plus all the other things like the animals and other people surviving "

That part in bold accurately describes the depiction of New York City in movies and video games...and google maps for that matter.

To say that Elite Dangerous lacks variety, yet New York City doesn't even though NYC looks exactly the same *every time* - that's just a wee bit silly.

So you're counting every little branch and twig in TD, but ED you're disingenuously discounting at least 75% of art assets right there, let alone things you don't mention like celestial objects, planetside stuff, probes, etc.? Bias much, buddy?

They look hardly anything alike.

Yes, they both have blue oceans, an atmosphere with clouds, and green-to-tan variations of land masses. But that's it. One is quite clearly *our Earth* and the other is not.

That viewpoint could go both ways: Seen one car? You've seen them all, they're all metal boxes with 4 wheels with only minor variations.

Seen one gun? You've seen them all, they all function the same.

Seen one jacket or beanie? You've seen them all, they all just vary in color or shape slightly.

If you don't like looking at planets, *fine*, maybe space just isn't your thing compared to playing garbage collector with guns in NYC.

Frankly, I haven't, but I'd be surprised if M. Brookes hasn't either.

I browsed it for 5 minutes, I couldn't find anything about solid concrete data about exoplanets in other systems - lots of neat concept art, speculative "How cool could this be?" stuff, and bios about people who work as astronomers, though.

You're dealing with 400 billion things here. I'm not sure you get how incredibly massive a number that is? What the heck are you expecting with something on a galactic scale besides it being a best guess?

...I literally linked an article that specifically addressed the number of Jupiter's moons and how that's an unknown, inexact figure, with moons appearing and disappearing and all kinds of uncertainty going on.

You want to bury your head in the sand, you go ahead, because at least then I don't have to hear you complain about things that have no basis in reality.

Pretty sure that's been bugfixed for a while now?

When you can't see the forest for the trees, you are burnt out.

Gee, I wonder why he might be that way. It's almost like he faces a daily wall of virile frothy indignation with no justified basis on fact or reason and has to watch every single little word he has to say, or something!

As usual, people are jerks and are the reason we can't have nice things.

*headdesk* I'm sorry, but you have to be an utter fool to believe that's in any way what's going on.
    Emergent. Gameplay. Depth. Three words that all simultaneously mean anything and nothing at all. Expand your vocabulary, people!

Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post (Source)
    Why is it when someone disagrees with a posters whine or whinge (semi-valid or not) they are a "white knight?"
    To elaborate on what Sleutelbos & Comrade Napoleon said, the use of a label such as "White KNight" or "Carebear" is a mental mechanism to make classification easier. This tendency isn't even necessarily bad, except when it's used as we've seen here as a way to preemptively paint those who may disagree as somehow flawed. Frankly, it's become way to prevalent of late online and has a side effect of making those who just want to discuss something avoid many options for doing so.

Regardless, the so-called problem of repetition is absurd. There are loads of games where repetition is involved yet people still play them, and happily so. Look at most MMOs, for crying out loud. Just because something is repetitious does not inherently mean it's bad design.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031