Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Elite Dangerous 2.3.01 bug fixes update coming early May

Originally Posted by relayer View Post (Source)
    I am really (sadly) amazed at the spit and fire people believe they're entitled to because they bought a video game.

I've been gaming since the first Elite game was released (before, actually: 'nethack' & D&D). I've had ups and downs with Bioware, Bethesda and more game companies than I could count over 40+ years of gaming.

I have never seen a set of forums so filled with bile, ugly names, vitriol and entitlement as these forums are (outside of, say, the "chans"). I have to quit reading/posting at intervals to keep my stomach from revolting. It's not "bug reports" or "constructive criticism" - it's a full-scale, never-ending hatchet job. It's like a guy slapping you, slapping you, slapping you repetetively and you finally get tired and belt him back and he says, "See? you're as ugly as me!"

[I would put a 4-letter word here but the forum rules will not allow it. It can also be said as two letters.]
    Hear hear. I also feel the same way about comments on pretty much every youtube video.

Having spent some time reading through this thread I have come to the following conclusions:-

Elite 2.3 is not perfect
    FD are working to fix the problem(s)
    The game is still playable (I base this on the empirical evidence that I am still playing the game post patch)
    There are far too many self entitled basement dwellers on this forum

and finally

The sort of abusive and narcissistic behaviour highlighted in more than a few posts in this thread shows the toxic nature of anonymity on the internet; in real life in pretty much every other setting, such behaviour would result in an introduction to the working end of a baseball bat..... repeatedly.

That's quite a wait for fixes!
    Games without frontiers, devs without ears...

"AMD FX-9370 4.7 Ghz, Sabretooth 990fx, Samsung Evo 250Gb SSD, Western Digital 4Tb HDD, 32Gb Ram, R9 390 8Gb @ 3840*2160 Philips BDM4065UC, TrackIR5, X52pro, Win10"

Originally Posted by Slategrey252 View Post (Source)
    Having spent some time reading through this thread I have come to the following conclusions:-

Elite 2.3 is not perfect
    FD are working to fix the problem(s)
    The game is still playable (I base this on the empirical evidence that I am still playing the game post patch)
    There are far too many self entitled basement dwellers on this forum

and finally

The sort of abusive and narcissistic behaviour highlighted in more than a few posts in this thread shows the toxic nature of anonymity on the internet; in real life in pretty much every other setting, such behaviour would result in an introduction to the working end of a baseball bat..... repeatedly.
    There are some people who experience more serious issues, like constant disconnects or a buggy GalMap, which basically makes the game unplayable. I very much agree with the last paragraph though.

Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    There are some people who experience more serious issues, like constant disconnects or a buggy GalMap, which basically makes the game unplayable. I very much agree with the last paragraph though.

I have seen that many times in the last few days, Can you explain, how it makes ED unplayable?

Originally Posted by Loupy View Post (Source)
    I have seen that many times in the last few days, Can you explain, how it makes ED unplayable?
    Because you cannot plot routes or open the system map to set a destination.
    Windows 10 (64 bit) 32 GB Memory CPU i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition HTC VIVE

It appears like they can't select systems from GalMap. They could still use the left hand panel, but this doesn't allow any route planning further than 20ly. True, maybe it isn't unplayable but definitely a bad state.

Thanks for all your hard work Frontier!

I cant select a route to travel, and i didnt finish one session without 1 or 2 disconnect. I think that makes ED unplayable. At least for ppl with the same issues.

The galaxy map is necessary in Elite to play the game, without it you can not travel anywhere. There are a lot of people right now who can not play the game due to this galaxy map resolution bug, they have to wait hoping that this fix in two weeks will make the game playable for them again. For these people, this bug in 2.3 broke the game. A game breaking bug, especially one which has been known about for seven weeks now, should never be pushed live, but if it is then it should be fixed within hours or days of going live, not weeks.

I love the game and franchise and the devs who interact with us, really I do, but something is very wrong at Frontier. Either their priorities, their QA, or their decision making is broken and really should be corrected, because something like this should never, ever happen. This situation should never play out like this.

Not all who wander are lost... CMDR Mengy
    - Explorer, Hunter, Miner, Trader... I aim to misbehave.

What a disaster,this patch is the worst so far,but at least the store works LUL

The name calling, hatred etc is unacceptable but at the same time I do understand players frustration.

I can't play the game as I cannot access the maps not select anything so effectively the game is broken for me as it is for many others. Until the patch is released, some three weeks after it was broken its just an icon on my PC that does nothing, an icon that cost me >£100 along with all the money spent on flight sticks, PC upgrades etc.

I'm surprised that Frontier released the update in this state with such obvious bugs. I know they will fix them but thats little comfort to those with an unusable game.

BUT IN NO WAY DOES THAT MEAN OR ENTITLE YOU TO BE HATEFUL, DISRESPECTFUL ETC

The amount and types of bugs are making the game quite hard to play, no question about it.

Here's a few work-arounds for the Galaxy Map that worked for me and may help the ones in need to go on with their game activities...

1. For star selection in galaxy map: with the cursor on the desired star/system, press "space bar" to select it;
    2. For system body selection: with the cursor on the desired star/planet/station, press "space bar" to select it;
    3. In order to make the selection box to be on the same screen: change zoom and/or move the selected system to top left corner of the screen.

To Frontier Development: the game is already full of grinding in my humble opinion... releasing a patch with several known relevant bugs like this, makes it unplayable for most of us.

This is a highly antecipated patch, a massive one, and we do appreciate the hard work to deliver it.
    Thanks for that... please, just don't deliver it like this again.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by tomalus View Post (Source)
    What a disaster,this patch is the worst so far,but at least the store works LUL
    Eh, see that’s not fair either though, the update has some really good stuff in it. It might have less content for players than the usual updates, but 2.3 has some great positives. It’s just a terrible shame that Frontier released it without fixing the game breaking bugs first. People can’t appreciate the good stuff in 2.3 if they can’t play the game. That’s kind of an important aspect to any game update: don’t willingly break the game. Paying customers don’t really like that kind of behavior.

If you took your car to the garage to get a turbo installed so that it drives faster, and when you got it back your car wouldn’t start anymore, would you be okay with that? And would you be happy waiting an additional two or more weeks for them to fix the problem they created, the problem you paid them for? Especially if the mechanic gave your car back knowing full well that it wouldn’t start, and knowing that it would need more work to fix properly? Not likely.

Not all who wander are lost... CMDR Mengy
    - Explorer, Hunter, Miner, Trader... I aim to misbehave.

I am really (sadly) amazed at the spit and fire people believe they're entitled to because they bought a video game.
    you know, the thing about software is that you can write it once and sell it to thousands of users separately. however, the other side of this is that you have to respond to thousands for every delivery. that's the game. don't like it, don't play it.

I've been gaming since the first Elite game was released (before, actually: 'nethack' & D&D). I've had ups and downs with Bioware, Bethesda and more game companies than I could count over 40+ years of gaming
    me too. big fan of nethack here. i still play it on my phone (you knew that someone ending up porting it to android was inevitable, right?). but so what. and it's true that there have been spectacularly bugged games. where are they now?

even for game industry standards, which are low compared to any other software application, it's a bit gross to throw out a release riddled with bugs, after a month in beta, promptly disappear for a week, then announce a patch for 2-3 weeks later. what is this? why was this released in this state? last year we had a very moving speech from the ceo himself about how quality is of utter importance for the game to be sustainable and reaching long term goals, and how this justified delays. and i wholeheartedly agreed. but this is getting old already. and downhill with every update.

take a storage module for example. you put things in, you get that same things out. there aren't many edge cases here, it either works or not, and it is trivially automatically testable. traditionally this is a transaction and is a very well studied pattern. the whole civilization runs on zillions off them daily. now, i have a superficial idea (watched that video from the server guy) of the versailles palace of an architecture they have, and it looks indeed very cool, but if it can't handle a single trivial transaction then bad stuff is going to happen. how can this be a bug? even more, how can this be something that needs to be investigated like it was a deep mystery? it's a transaction ! how can it be finally fixed and, yet again, reappear?

and, look: when a transaction fails, you get an error. that's the point. how come this transactions fail and there's no warning whatsoever for the player? i could do with a small debug console. oh, htat would ruin my immersion? but it's ok to ruin the unique module i just put into the store, letting me fly away happily without a warning. that makes you think: how many other conditions like this are simply ignored and masked out? you know, for the 'happy path'?

this is not robust enough to last, and it's getting worse, and it will get out of control.

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast