Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Self Lubricating Fighter vs. Station Diagnostic Committee at Obsidian Orbital

Self Lubricating Fighter vs. Station Diagnostic Committee at Obsidian Orbital

After being caught entirely off guard by SDC attacking me at an anarchy station, in Open, where there was an on going CG--inconceivable, I know--and taking many thousands of credits of damage to my Federal Corvette before being able to land successfully, I decided that a direct confrontation with a half dozen combat vessels probably wasn't in my best interest.

Yet, I could not let these dastardly denizens of the dark go wholly unopposed (well, I could, but what fun is that?)...there were semi-innocent fools with shieldless Type-9s, and even less wise conveyances, about and they needed me, as a distraction.

So, the SLF cometh:

That's a small excerpt from about two hours of fooling around.

Basically, I'd drop out a few hundred km from the tourist beacon that is only 20km from Obsidian Orbital, pop back into SC for a split second (so no one had time to target me long enough for my low wake to have my name on it), disengage at the tourist beacon, drift my Corvette (so as not to leave visible chemtrails [yes, I said chemtrails...dirty drives removes the catalytic converter, you know]) to a location where it would not be easy to spot (meaning not in front of a beige moon, and not in any likely flight path), come to a full stop, deploy my SLF with it's throttle zeroed and FA off (so it would drift at 150m/s until well clear of my mothership...also to avoid leaving a trail back to it) while simultaneously ordering my Deadly (mostly to my own ships) NPC crew to hold position. Then I'd shoot at SDC (and probably a few people I mistook for SDC) for a bit, take a nap, and start a thread with preposterously long run-on sentences, here, to tell you all about it.

Anyway, stations still aren't reacting correctly to SLFs, or belligerent ships in general. Anarchy security levels might mean a hands off approach to passing or enforcing laws, but the various entities established in such systems should still take self-defense seriously...no way in hell would any operator of an expensive starport put up with combat in it's immediate vicinity, let alone inside the docking bay. Not that this wasn't fun, but it's not exactly very plausible, and I hope it's slated for adjustment sometime in the not too distant future.

2. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #2
    Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous
    Frontier Employee
    Hello Commander Morbad!

Thanks for the video!

Can you confirm that main ships (not ship launched fighters) have been attacking each other within gun range - especially inside the docking barrel - of the starport?

Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    Hello Commander Morbad!

Thanks for the video!

Can you confirm that main ships (not ship launched fighters) have been attacking each other within gun range - especially inside the docking barrel - of the starport?
    Main ships cannot fire inside the docking bay or the letterbox without the station retaliating. However, they can still ram people, at full speed, inside the station, without retaliation.

SLFs are utterly ignored by the station, unless they actually shoot the station proper. They can loiter inside forever and fire upon anyone they wish with no consequences at all in an anarchy system, and consequences apparently only being applied to the mothership (which is usually far beyond the range of the station's weapons or security force sensors) in areas with security.

4. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #4
    Frontier Employee
    Hello Commander Morbad!

Thanks for the info. Both SLF and mothership should be targeted by starport defences. I'll dig into this.

Ramming should instigate a response if enough damage is caused, because it's treated as a violent crime, which anarchy starports detect and respond to (even though no crime is logged).

Ramming should instigate a response if enough damage is caused, because it's treated as a violent crime, which anarchy starports detect and respond to (even though no crime is logged).
    I had ~4000 hull integrity of damage dealt to my aforementioned Corvette during the process of landing, almost entirely by being rammed by various ships inside the starport. After I repaired I did see the carcass of a FAS that was probably one of my attackers, but none of the rest appeared to have been targeted by the station and the FAS may have actually opened fire on my ship inside the station.

Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to capture that on video as I was too busy trying not to explode! Next time perhaps.

Are anarchy stations supposed to fire at anyone shooting other ships, or just if they fire on the station itself?
    I'm a bit confused with the details here.

7. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #7
    Frontier Employee
    Hello Commanders!

It looks like something odd is going on - starports are not supposed to tolerate combat, especially inside the docking barrel we're investigating.

Surely they should fire at anyone.

Just because they don't want anything to escalate and cause damage to the station. They don't care what happens to you just don't mess with them.

Hello Commanders!

It looks like something odd is going on - starports are not supposed to tolerate combat, especially inside the docking barrel we're investigating.
    When you fix the issue, make sure you do it unannounced, during a CG, in an anarchy system.

I want to see the fallout from all those thinking that it's fine to murder people docking. Lol

Originally Posted by CMDR_Cosmicspacehead View Post (Source)
    When you fix the issue, make sure you do it unannounced, during a CG, in an anarchy system.

I want to see the fallout from all those thinking that it's fine to murder people docking. Lol

What a blessed evil mind

Cheers Cmdr's

Hello Commanders!

Then you may want to scour the forums. Some poor chap lost his ship to another CMDR doing this the other day (whilst inches from the landing platform) and one of the QA moderators said all was working as intended. I'm guessing he is due a refund now. Not sure what subsection it was in though. I'll have a look now.

Originally Posted by CMDR_Cosmicspacehead View Post (Source)

I endorse this product and/or service.

Asp Explorer: Are We There Yet?
    Python:Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

Meanwhile lots of fun to be had with fighters - sure the "bad" guys will have noticed too

I'm not sure Obsidian Orbital has ever dealt out any justice has it? I've been caught out there a few times.

Originally Posted by Lobey View Post (Source)
    Meanwhile lots of fun to be had with fighters - sure the "bad" guys will have noticed too
    I don't expect it to be long before people are jumped by a dozen SLFs inside the starport at each CG.

At least they don't have enough mass to ram you off your landing pad just before you touch down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast