Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Soooo frustrated!

Soooo frustrated!

I posted this as a reply in another thread but not sure anyone will see it there.

I can't do ANY of these things! This is the craziest game I've ever played!
    I've played a lot of games over the years, but I've never seen anything like this. Who would make a game where you can't even get started?! I can't take any missions, I don't qualify. I can't accept anything in the lounge, I don't qualify. I don't have enough space to trade or mine anything worthwhile in my Sidewinder.
    I've done all the training and now I'm starting and have been to about 5 different "places" and either I don't qualify or I can't get to the locations necessary ('Boom' missions), too far, don't have enough fuel.

What the hell am I missing here? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Bounty hunting is your first step, then you can decide which path or paths you tend to go for.
    Asteroid belts and other places you can learn, is cash from nothing.

Originally Posted by CMDR CODY View Post (Source)
    Bounty hunting is your first step, then you can decide which path or paths you tend to go for.
    Asteroid belts and other places you can learn, is cash from nothing.

Thanks, but how do I get a bounty hunting mission (that a "penniless" Sidewinder can qualify for)?

Edited in: Short answer, you don't need missions to do stuff

Best advice I can give you if you've just started.

Go to Kremainn system, should be 1-2 hops away.

Find the Wohler Terminal station. If you cannot see it on your navigation panel instead target the "nav beacon". Once there and in normal space with other ships around you find the white dot and target it. Scan it until you get the message and the station should now be visible to you.

Go to the station, dock and refuel for safety. Ensure your sidewinder has the 2 pulse lasers you started with and they are mapped to the fire keys.

Undock and get out the station then find a Resource Extraction site. There should be several nearby. You are looking for either High, Low or no flair. If it says Haz/Hazardous avoid it.

Get to there and you'll see miners, pirates and police ships (usually named security services etc). Follow the largest group of police around, or scan for laser fire in the distance. When there's a battle between the police and pirates stay close but not too close (~2km out is a good shout) and target the pirate, ensure you get the information bottom left like "wanted, faction, hull and shield strength etc"

Then when the police knock them down to around 5% hull health swoop in and open fire. Despite doing little work you'll claim all the bounty on that pirate. For the bigger ships it can be anything from 40,000Cr to 80,000Cr per ship.

When you get 2-3 kills get out of there, go back to the station and cash in. Buy an Eagle and fit it with a kill warrant scanner. Then do the same again but this time whilst the police are in battle use the KWS to scan for hidden bounties on the pirate before you take them out (much higher profits). It's a press and hold type deal. Note higher grade KWS take tons of power with the only real benefit being longer scanning range, ensure your ship doesn't shut down when you deploy hardpoints. You probably want C/D/E grade.

That'll see you good into a few hundred thousand credits and the ability to buy and upgrade the first 4-5 ships available, it also gets the local factions on side so you get more missions available. Opens a lot of doors. One thing with Elite is - You don't need missions to do stuff, just get out there and trade/fight/explore and its all good

Another good early note is that the number on outfitting is the size of the weapon/module with 1 being smallest. The Letter is quality.
    E = Cheapest
    D = Lightest
    C = Best value for cash
    B = Most armoured
    A = Best performance

Size trumps quality most of the time. Weapons only come in 1 quality but have 3 types (fixed/gimbal/turret). On small ships learning to play gimbal is your choice, high level of tracking. Fixed do more damage but obviously are manual aim. Turret turn and lock on even when targets are behind you, if they are in view of the turret they'll shoot. More difficult to manage turrets and they do lower damage than even gimballed. Useful on the bigger ships where you can't turn as fast to keep up with smaller ships.

Final advice - Take the time to play around early game where dying means little. Try those odd looking weapons like frag cannons and railguns. Once you feel confident find the next thing. You can fly great, do you know about the blue throttle zone. When you are managing your speed and turn rates look at pip management and optimising weapon/shield/engine strength. Once you've nailed that experiment with directional thrusters and optimising flying. Finally learn about flight assist off.
    There's a ton of things you can learn about and master to optimise your flying, lots of people just get into the biggest most defended ship they can and think that's their combat mastered, then wonder why another player takes them down with ease. With a few tips and pointers, watching a few youtube videos and/or flying with a few player groups that do combat it's fairly easy to get into the finer details which are rewarding when they finally click and you can do some fairly insane stuff turning the ship around to face your target in half the time that you did before etc.

Further Edit: When you get into a Cobra III type ship thats multirole and has a decent internal capacity and jump range try a few other things like mining, passenger missions, rare goods trading, exploration etc. Personally I switch what I'm doing regularly and often do non-profitable stuff like racing with player groups or refuelling stranded players with the Fuel Rats group.
    The strength of this game is you make your own stories really. My story was what I'd do in real life If I were in the situation which is pretty much try things until I find something I enjoy. Do that thing until I get bored then repeat. Other people roleplay as a smuggler or trader or mercenary for hire etc. All what you want it to be really, just takes a bit of inspiration and suddenly you realise you've put a few hundred hours into the game and have a to-do / to-try list thats growing longer not shorter.
    Whenever you get bored look for something you've never done before, a few revelations for me were the first time I was in combat with a capital ship. Meeting the alien ship. Visiting the supergiant star Betelgeuse. Engineering a racing ship that does 800m/s
    Things I could have done within 1hr or just watched a youtube video of but honestly glad I didn't spoil it for myself and broke up the boredom significantly.

Final edit: If you get ~3mil credits from this you can get an Adder/Hauler and do the following for a massive early on payout via Exploration: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...illion-credits
    Personally I advise taking your time early on but if all you want to do is jump into say an Asp Explorer or whatever quickly my tactic is always combat to 3mil then exploration of locally known Earth Like Worlds. I got about 20mil credits in 3-4 hours play yesterday.

Originally Posted by FinnyHawk View Post (Source)
    I posted this as a reply in another thread but not sure anyone will see it there.

I can't do ANY of these things! This is the craziest game I've ever played!
    I've played a lot of games over the years, but I've never seen anything like this. Who would make a game where you can't even get started?! I can't take any missions, I don't qualify. I can't accept anything in the lounge, I don't qualify. I don't have enough space to trade or mine anything worthwhile in my Sidewinder.
    I've done all the training and now I'm starting and have been to about 5 different "places" and either I don't qualify or I can't get to the locations necessary ('Boom' missions), too far, don't have enough fuel.

Great reply Alex, have a virtual rep Op, you should watch some YouTube vids as well. There are loads for new players and tutorials not just explaining, but showing them doing it.

My, tip for bounty hunting. Don't panic, take the time to let scans finish BEFORE you fire. Expect the Feds to accidentally shoot you when you get in the way, but hells teeth, do not ever shoot at one of them, even by mistake.

If you do, ( and you will) you can immediately become wanted and suddenly the entire cop fleet opens up on you.

1. Retract weapons.

2. Power to shields.

3 select a destination in left hand panel

4 if you're not dead already either supercruise or jump to the next system.

Don't ever go into a res site or nav beacon with any cargo or any bounties on your head.

It's a buzz, once you're in the swing of things there is no doubt you can make millions.

You do not have to engage in combat if this isn't your bag, it's being suggested as one of the quickest ways to make early progress.

Good luck and welcome Cmdr

Hmm isn't the game offering as a start some data delivery missions? Those are kind of tutorial. After you've finished with them just go help Feds in a high res site, as suggested by Alex. Use the opportunity to not only earn credits, but to get used to combat manoeuvres and energy's management... you'll need that later. Just do not get too much addicted to shooting as Feds tend to run in front of your guns and if you hit them it's over for the poor Sidewinder

It's also possible for fly to any system you don't have any data for and scan even just the star with the basic scanner. Scan a few of these and return to a station and sell the Cartographic data for several thousand. It's not much but it helps.

OK an alternative to any mission based starting...

1. Buy a fuel scoop (309 Cr - from memory).

2. Press 4 (for the right hand menu).

3. Press E (to tab to fire groups).

4. Set a fire group for your Basic Discovery Scanner.

5. Plot a route anywhere.

The idea is you fire off your discovery scanner whenever you enter a system or whenever you're near a station. Even the limited range on the basic discovery scanner will get stellar information that you can sell at stellar cartographers (once 20 Ly away from the source of the information).

Do this for half an hour or so and you should have enough to upgrade your FSD giving you longer jump range.

You can only fuel scoop from type O B A F G K and M stars. You can set this in the Galaxy Map so it only plots route via these stars.

Of course with a fuel scoop those mission that are too far due to fuel are no longer an issue as well.

Good luck.

EDIT - should have read Nagul's post ! anyway that's how you scan with the basic scanner

Hi! While going to a RES to earn credits is good advice it shouldn't be too hard for you to get doing some simple missions.

The Sidewinder doesn't have a big cargo hold and it's jump range is borderline dangerous when you first start out, you need to remedy both of these issues fairly quickly. Trevithick Dock where you start your journey usually has a couple of doable missions, you're looking for either cargo or data delivery but make sure they're local so that you can actually get to your destination by checking the galaxy map.

Ideally, you want a quick simple mission that'll pay you around 80 - 100k credits to take some cargo over to a starport. You can then either upgrade the sidewinders frame shift drive and cargo hold to a more adequate level.....or (and I think this is the more sensible option to be honest) upgrade your ship to a Hauler.

The Hauler is far less likely to have fuel/jump issues and its cargo hold will open up the mission board for you. Then you just rinse and repeat....keep upgrading the Hauler or again....buy a bigger ship, a Cobra3 or a Viper4 are both achievable within the first few hours of play.

Bounty Hunting is definitely a profitable way to make credits but I don't really recommend it during the first few days of play, it could wind up being a very frustrating start for you.

I think that exploration is the easiest credit earner for a new pilot to get started.

You need a couple of scanners, a fuel scoop, better frame shift drive and you are ready to go. As a first step equip a detailed surface scanner (250 000Cr) and that Basic discovery scanner that you already have. Then locate terraforming economy/economies fly there and scan any Earth like world (ELW) you find.

Each ELW is worth about 600 000 Cr.

Later in the game exploration payouts don't feel so special anymore but for a new pilot they are significant.

You should be able to make some millions in no time - and you increase your reputation with the controlling faction when you sell the data so you'll start getting good missions pretty quickly.

I don't have enough space to trade or mine anything worthwhile in my Sidewinder.
    This I disagree. A sidewinder is the worst ship for everything, but this is the point. But mining can be done by a beginner player. I know, as I did it in a sidewinder when earning credits was much harder than it is now.

You need the following modules:
    • 6880cr - 1D mining laser
    • 6000cr - 1E refinery - it's only got one bin, but that is all you need.
    • 600cr - 1E collector limpet controller - this is optional, but it does speed things up a lot.
    • 0cr - 2E cargo rack - your sidewinder should already have this

So that's just over 13000cr. If you don't have this amount yet, scavenging is a good free source of credits.

Find a metallic ring, pristine is best if you can reach one. Bhotho, planet AB3 and Frey, planet 4 are both 41ly from the starter system and have pristine metallic rings. The metallic part is always (OK, I know of one exception) the closest part of the ring to the planet.

If you manage to mine 4 tons of palladium and/or platinum, you will have enough credits to upgrade your ship. This will just take some patience.

It is very easy to get out of the sidey in one or two jumps.

My last restart I got the "welcome" mission for 10k credits plus on the mission board there was a mission heading to the exact same station I was heading to. Got to that station handed in the missions, once there I checked the rest of the mission board, there was an in system mission that gave me enough money for a hauler with mods or an adder without.

Bought the hauler put bigger holds in it and upgraded the FSD visited 3 more places with missions, stored it & bought a Cobra Mk III & did some basic mods to it. Did more missions for about an hour & stored it & bought a Type 6. I'm still in the type 6, but I currently have about 11 mil after a few hours play in total.

Other options (for you OP)

Go to the nearest nav point (there will be one in system) & scan ships, fire on the low level "wanted" ones (do not fire before they have the wanted tag) that gets you some pocket money. Then follow the local security about as they will also be looking for wanted ships. Scan & fire upon their targets too (as they tend to go for larger targets than a sidey can handle) get a few hits in & you get the bounty.

Just get out of the station, into supercruise and look for USS (threat 0)
    Pick up everything you find and flog it back to Lawson Orbital.

Welcome to the community of tiny specs in the wide and deep space!

edit: assuming you're still in LHS 3447, that is.

Originally Posted by DerDzvero View Post (Source)
    Hmm isn't the game offering as a start some data delivery missions? Those are kind of tutorial.
    It surely should, because i started out with them and did nothing else for weeks ! After every mision you will get another @ that place...sometimes it will be one at the time/station, just go ahead and finish them. When you have the credits for it, buy a hauler and do more of these ect ect. This method goes slowly but you will learn alot about it all, also about trading when you got a hauler that has more space.
    Be carefull about the misions you take, some will get you a fleet of pirates chasing you !

Originally Posted by DerDzvero View Post (Source)
    After you've finished with them just go help Feds in a high res site, as suggested by Alex. Use the opportunity to not only earn credits, but to get used to combat manoeuvres and energy's management... you'll need that later.
    I never fired my guns to anybody...if i have guns on the ship @ all.
    So if you are new and want to leave the fighting part for later, it is surely possible. I discovered (tried it) that weapons or not, it makes no diff. to the game...the ingame pirates will always hunt you.

Most important to newbies ; look @ youtube, these movies are soooo needed to "get" you into this game. Thanks again you youtubers for all the work you put into these vids !

As you can see, there are many routes you can follow to progress. Many people like the pew-pew-pew of bounty hunting and many like less action-packed pursuits.

You should have received a "welcome mission" when you first started which gives you 10,000 Cr to get started. If you missed that in your communications UI window (or it didn't appear) and you are seriously low on cash, you can always just "Clear Save" (from main menu options) and start again.

By increasing the range of your starter sidewinder you can move further afield and take on more missions. The welcome mission reward should allow you to at least fit a better FSD and more missions completed will let you fit an even better FSD and so on.

It does seem a bit daunting at first but stick with it and you will soon find yourself enjoying the Elite Dangerous galaxy.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast