Page 87 of 137 FirstFirst ... 7783848586878889909197 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 2054

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: #support3rdparty - Why we temporarily shut down our sites.

I'm torn...

I occasionally use these sites, for example if i'm writing a blog post about ED and I want an easy way of showing a ship build, but I'm mainly a pen and paper guy, I have a lot of notes. But just because I don't use it does not mean i don't see the enormous value that other players find it.

But the way this has been instigated I find....distasteful. I cant think of a better analogy than terrorism. By shutting down the sites and posting on the forum they have have gone for a very easy, rabble rousing approach. These guys volunteer to supply 3rd party tools, that they even ask for donations is anthema to the whole idea of volunteering, but people have a different stance on what is right and wrong. On the other hand people want to pay for services/goods they use so it's a little bit of a quandry.

Though I feel that a vast majority will support the 3rd party devolopers for tools they bring to the game, I cant in good conscious support this movement.

Writing an open letter to FDev and gaining support from the community but not this way.

Possible solutions.
    FDev remove API support until they have the resources available to maintain the system
    FDev Offer to improve API support but it will now be a paid for service but with better upkeep etc.
    FDev "We cant commit any more resources to this area, we appreciate your input to the community, but if you feel you cant play with what you have at the moment we wish you luck in your future endeavours."
    FDev remove API support completely.

The other option is improving the present API support, that support would have to come from somewhere and so would the money. Eg. We could get space legs 'booted' till at least 2020 and get API over the next 6 months.

Actions have consequences, the action taken here and the pressure exerted onto FDev will have future repercussions.
    You or I or maybe FDev wont realise these repercussions at the moment, but allowing a small bunch of volunteers dictating the terms of another companies IP is wrong and should not be supported.

Delta Squadrons Response:

After a lengthy debate Delta Squadron would like to express our total support for the 3rd party developers and we request Frontier embrace and officially support them with a full developer suite of API tools made for these 3rd party developers.

However lets all keep in mind.... Attachment 119557

This is bold.
    Of course I'm going to be wildly inconvenienced. I feel like I can barely function in Elite unless I have EDDB.io and Coriolis ship builder running in the background at all times. I admit I've started to take them for granted over time and this has brought me back to reality.

I fully support this shutdown. I hope it garners you the cooperation that you need from Frontier. I would also like to know what support if any you need from us, the players? Will monetary donations help or perhaps some other kind of support? Please let us know.

Much thanks to all involved.

-EJIRO

Support third party devs they will keep your game alive, dynamic and growing for years!

I just started playing elite dangerous, the thing that sold me was the api related 3rd part dev community. A game with a healthy player dev community is usually a good sign to me, as a pc gamer its what I often look for in a game!

5. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1295
    After speaking in private with the OP and other involved community developers, we have all agreed that it was best for the community to bring the websites back up as soon possible. This will be happening simultaneously at 19:00 UTC (where possible) for all the sites.

We have made a commitment to work more closely with the third party developer community to address concerns and support these features which the community use and value on a daily basis.

These ongoing communications will include developers from other third party websites who may be interested, not just those listed in the OP. If you are an active and established third party Elite Dangerous developer, get in touch with community@frontier.co.uk

We all hope that clears things up!

Thanks everyone,

Ed

Originally Posted by CMDR Redcrest View Post (Source)
    Oh those horrible trade unions that defend workers from unscrupulous practices by employers. You remember those paid holidays you took? Fought for and won by trade unions. The right to a safe work place, fought for and won by... TRADE UNIONS!
    The audacity of people running around protecting the right's of workers. Let's all just go back to shoving kids down mines. 😒
    Unions can be good in a lot of areas but you always know their suggestions are really just demands being made under another name and if the company/government don't implement their "suggestions" at least a ballot action is likely.

EDCD RESPONSE

Originally Posted by Edward Lewis View Post (Source)
    After speaking in private with the OP and other involved community developers, we have all agreed that it was best for the community to bring the websites back up as soon possible. This will be happening simultaneously at 19:00 UTC (where possible) for all the sites.

We have made a commitment to work more closely with the third party developer community to address concerns and support these features which the community use and value on a daily basis.

These ongoing communications will include developers from other third party websites who may be interested, not just those listed in the OP. If you are an active and established third party Elite Dangerous developer, get in touch with community@frontier.co.uk

Thanks everyone,

Ed
    After a very fast approach from Frontier - especially Ed Lewis who as we all know does a great job under tough circumstances, we in the EDCD feel that Frontier have been earnest in their positive response to the third-party developer community today. As such, and so as to not cause further disruption to the playerbase or upcoming game events, we thought it would be a good idea to reopen our web sites in good faith of their announced commitment.

We thank Frontier for their frank and honest exchanges, and very much look forward towards a continued symbiotic relationship between Frontier, the fantastic game Elite: Dangerous, and the third-party developers and the tools they create.

All this talk about the 3rd party devs, what about the 4rth party devs, what of their plight?
    You monsters.

Just few days ago I was thinking how tools like EDSM, EDDN, INARA and others became an essential part of the game and wondered if E: D will be even playable without them. I could have never imagined that I'll learn the answer for this so soon!

I'd like to say big "THANK YOU!" to the developers of 3rd party tools. These tools are of a great help. They improve my gameplay experience by far margin.

I do understand and support your current actions. Communications from FDev were always sporadic. From time to time they drop a large post with some important information and then disappear for months. Reporting bugs is an exercise in frustration and patience: there is literally zero communication after first copy-pasted reply from QA until many months later fix suddenly appears in some patch (or does not appear...).

Please, FDev, a game can not live without a community, and community needs a certain level of communication from you to flourish.

Thanks everyone,

Ed
    Wow they caved..

This is totally going to happen again in the future

I use INARA and EDDB frequently, and feel these tools are integral to enjoyment of the game.

I also use coriolis frequently, as it's a fun way to look at how builds come together before investing in them.

+1 for this movement!

Thanks everyone,

Ed
    Thanks Ed! We appreciate your time and attention, and Frontier's willingness to stand behind a commitment to improve on this. Looking forward to working with you all!

Thanks everyone,

Ed
    I think you need a few of these Ed.

Originally Posted by ShimEnki View Post (Source)
    Indeed.

I would think that with the ability of these 3rd party developers, they would be incalculably better off nourishing an entity that's far more appreciative and communicative and with much higher tone. If FD has any tone at all!

My vote is to pull the plug and leave it pulled and move on to much higher ground--which would not be hard to find!
    here is the level of effort for EDDiscovery, just one of the tools provided by your loving community developers

Thanks everyone,

Ed
    Good to hear.

It'll be interesting to see if the anti-3rd parties will change their minds or begin to protest this new cooperative effort.

Page 87 of 137 FirstFirst ... 7783848586878889909197 ... LastLast