Page 88 of 137 FirstFirst ... 7884858687888990919298 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 2054

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: #support3rdparty - Why we temporarily shut down our sites.

Volunteer Moderator
    Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    How on Earth can you not read it like that, when that's exactly what it says?
    I don't think they're asking for someone to make changes as and when they want (which sounds more demanding than they're really being). I think they're asking for a formal interface at Frontier to be able to get a bit of early warning of an upcoming change, to query changes to the API and to expect a timely response. I don't think it's too much to ask for what's effectively an ad hoc interface to be changed to a formal one.

Originally Posted by cheesenbiscuits View Post (Source)
    FD's plans for the future ED may well render all of these web resources irrelevant in one update.
    If this is the case,then they are wise to not get on board with these sites.
    It is true, But till than Most of Community Rely on those 3rd Party tools in Areas that Elite itself Lacks.

Personally I don't see why for time Being FDevs couldn't Start Communicating Changes to 3rd Party Devs to make their jobs easier when Updating stuff. And Believe it or Not Games Developers rely on Support and Good relationship with Their Gaming Community. It goes Both Ways and Until Elite gets it's Own Trade Calculator (While Buying trade data They could Include Profits and Losses on certain Commodities that Are Imported/Exported to system) that actually gives you useful Information, gets it's own "SHIP builder" that allows you to check Price of Components required as well as Other information that comes with it (Final Speed, Jump range, Where can find Components), get's it's own Captains Log that Can be personalized, Edited or else, Until All that is in Game I think People will Use 3rd Party Tools... So why not Support them until Such time Comes in that You will have All that anyways?

Intel i7-4770k Haswell 3.5GHz (Turbo 3.9),Asus Maximus VI Hero z87, MSI nVidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB, Corsair Vengeance 16GB. Track Hat Clip. Thrustmasters T.16000M FCS HOTAS.

Originally Posted by Genar-Hofoen View Post (Source)
    After a very fast approach from Frontier - especially Ed Lewis who as we all know does a great job under tough circumstances, we in the EDCD feel that Frontier have been earnest in their positive response to the third-party developer community today. As such, and so as to not cause further disruption to the playerbase or upcoming game events, we thought it would be a good idea to reopen our web sites in good faith of their announced commitment.

We thank Frontier for their frank and honest exchanges, and very much look forward towards a continued symbiotic relationship between Frontier, the fantastic game Elite: Dangerous, and the third-party developers and the tools they create.
    You never should have brought this on the community this way. Totally the wrong way to go about it.
    I agree with what you said, but the way you did it... wow. Look what you did to the community..

Originally Posted by Edward Lewis View Post (Source)
    After speaking in private with the OP and other involved community developers, we have all agreed that it was best for the community to bring the websites back up as soon possible. This will be happening simultaneously at 19:00 UTC (where possible) for all the sites.

We have made a commitment to work more closely with the third party developer community to address concerns and support these features which the community use and value on a daily basis.

These ongoing communications will include developers from other third party websites who may be interested, not just those listed in the OP. If you are an active and established third party Elite Dangerous developer, get in touch with community@frontier.co.uk

We all hope that clears things up!

Thanks everyone,

Ed
    Good news, sometimes you just have to shout "HEY" in just the right way to get the right attention and then everything gets dealt with because, in the end, folks are fairly rational once they actually talk to each other.

Good job all the way around. And now the thread will continue on for another 80 pages for people who just want to argue without listening.

Full support.

3rd party tools are a part of the game and provide special layer lacking in original design.

6. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1311
    Originally Posted by Kraytex1 View Post (Source)
    Wow they caved..

This is totally going to happen again in the future
    This isn't about caving, this is about ensuring future conversations happen so things like this don't happen again. We made an agreement and discussed things in a considered and calm way. We saw the original post for what it was, an important discussion topic for us to get involved in. We have expressed that we feel it could have been handled differently, and we all agreed that communication is key in future!

I'm a fairly new cmdr in XBox. I would like to say I support that developers of games and 3rd partys that help support those games definitely need to be in communication with each other. Understandably FDev probably cannot address each site/tool individually, but when some big change is going to happen that should be made known.

One point which seems to be completely missed here, and a point which I can predict most of the ill thought responses to, is that this will detract from the PS4 launch. The PS4 launch, without question, will be the largest injection of money to Frontier this year; far, far more than new PC or Xbox players. Hopefully not much, but none the less a distraction. I can't compare the game with/without 3rd party tools if I haven't even played it yet and the actions of the 3rd party developers now will make me try and play the game, when it does launch, without them as I now question the future of these tools.

Update: 18:20

It seems the fire has been put out promptly. Good news for everyone involved, super pleased about this.

I only started playing about 6 weeks ago.
    I like to think that, because of this, I am less jaded toward the game. Subsequently, I complain less.
    I also understand that I stand on the shoulders of greatness...the players who endured problems and bugs that I will never deal with.

ALL THAT SAID...

The first thing I noticed about the game and its interface was ... well, the lack of it.
    Making credits in LHS 3447 and knowing there were cool ships out there, but not knowing where they were...then modules to improve the ships were out there, but not knowing where they were...
    Unbelievable, that in the year 3303 there is not an integrated market database to tell you who sells what and where.

AAA (Triple A) was publishing yearly roadmaps of major roadways in 1902, with the catalogs of hotels, gas stations, and other services in 1917.
    In 3303 we are reduced to jump here, take notes, jump there, take notes...really? All this information should be available at your fingertips from the cockpit, or at least as part of the station services for mission/travel planning? ?
    Then I discovered the 3rd party community... "EUREKA! THERE IT IS!" moment.
    Should it have been included in the game? ABSOLUTELY!...but barring that, and with the free time given by the 3rd party community of developers, should it be supported? ABSOLUTELY!

Originally Posted by slum View Post (Source)
    Good to hear.

It'll be interesting to see if the anti-3rd parties will change their minds or begin to protest this new cooperative effort.
    Hear, Hear.

Intel i7-4770k Haswell 3.5GHz (Turbo 3.9),Asus Maximus VI Hero z87, MSI nVidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB, Corsair Vengeance 16GB. Track Hat Clip. Thrustmasters T.16000M FCS HOTAS.

After speaking in private with the OP and other involved community developers, we have all agreed that it was best for the community to bring the websites back up as soon possible. This will be happening simultaneously at 19:00 UTC (where possible) for all the sites.

We have made a commitment to work more closely with the third party developer community to address concerns and support these features which the community use and value on a daily basis.

These ongoing communications will include developers from other third party websites who may be interested, not just those listed in the OP. If you are an active and established third party Elite Dangerous developer, get in touch with community@frontier.co.uk

Thanks everyone,

Ed
    There is the statement that was required. I hope all things work out for everyone involved.
    I plan to live Forever!
    or die trying.

As a new player to ED (less than 2 weeks), my brother, who has played a ton more, emailed me all the links he uses daily. I'm a WoW>TOR>WoW player who also played EvE for 5 years in a PvP Merc corp (If you flew around our home base, you knew us). I've been playing MMOs since Star Wars Galaxies. I've used 3rd party websites as soon as they were available. I don't use some because they are the same thing as other and I'm used to the others. I'm not in support of the WAY this was done. This is doing nothing but hurting the players "They" meaning the 3PD, are supposedly trying to help. FDEV is a company. If the 3PD wanted a legitimate response, they should have done this the correct way. Use a phone, write a letter, visit the main office, etc. These ways may seem out of date and out of reach to us Millennials, but this is the way businesses are still run.

Who knows, FDEV may have even tried to hire them to help write some of their code into the game...and wouldn't that be better, all the tools at hand instead of having to use a second screen or tablet/smart device constantly (for those of us that use the sites)

And why are people telling other people the way they play is wrong? Didn't they buy the game just like you did?

As someone that not only has used these specific tools but has seen just how much 3rd party tools improved other games, I support the creators in this strike and I'm glad to see that Frontier has responded.
    Tedium =/= immersion

14. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1319
    Originally Posted by ShadowWolf Kell View Post (Source)
    I think you need a few of these Ed.
    https://mintcustard.files.wordpress....pg?w=225&h=300
    Hello everybody and welcome to the livestream... in 45 minutes.

Thanks everyone,

Ed
    Bravo

Page 88 of 137 FirstFirst ... 7884858687888990919298 ... LastLast