Page 92 of 137 FirstFirst ... 82888990919293949596102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 2054

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: #support3rdparty - Why we temporarily shut down our sites.

Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post (Source)
    The way i see it is that the API works (barring bugs introduced via patches which FD fix), and its basically these guys have got together and said "We want more, FD aren't giving, let's have a wobbly over it"

Yeah, well, i want more. I want more exploration features, i want better in-game tools, i want some changes to how PvE piracy works, i want, I WANT, I WANT..... but FD are not going to give me what I want just because i stamp my feet over it.

As much as I love the guys who make these tools, they are acting like prima-donnas here.

They can damn well get in line with the rest of us who WANT things.
    I think you're missing the point. First of all, everybody is upset that Frontier took the time during the development of the patch TO TAKE AWAY THINGS THAT WERE PROVIDED BY THE API. Second, because of that decision, the developers of 3rd party tools are asking to have better communication with Frontier. That would not take out any development effort to realize your additional exploration features, your better in-game tools (only God knows when we will get them), your changes to how PvE piracy works, etc.

I think it's entirely reasonable that they ask for a technical channel at Frontier to stay on the top of things instead of being put in front of decisions that Frontier made without any warning. And judging by the number of comments to this thread so far, I think I'm not the only one thinking it is reasonable. So far, the support for the 3rd party developers far outnumbers the people saying the tools are not useful or that it would prevent Frontier to adding more contents and fixing bugs in the game.

And really, I think a lot of people are missing the bigger picture. These tools exist because people voted with their usage. If these tools didn't see any use, do you think the developers would continue supporting them and adding new features to them? I don't think so. So, these tools exist out of a NEED. Whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant, dozens of people so far have stated that they are using those tools.

And you know what, instead of trying to ignore those 3rd party developers, Frontier should understand that they get thousands of man-hours for FREE which results in more people enjoying THEIR game. Why do you think that so many games these days encourage modding? Because it keeps the interest in the game and help them sell more. I don't understand why so many people seem to fail to understand that. It's all in Frontier's interest to help 3rd party tools to flourish because they are the one who will reap the benefits, not those 3rd party developers that offer their tools for FREE as a labor of love. Sheesh! I never did any marketing class but I can understand this!
    Cmdr Kantos Kan, Trader, Explorer and occasional Bounty Hunter

Originally Posted by Genar-Hofoen View Post (Source)
    After a very fast approach from Frontier - especially Ed Lewis who as we all know does a great job under tough circumstances, we in the EDCD feel that Frontier have been earnest in their positive response to the third-party developer community today. As such, and so as to not cause further disruption to the playerbase or upcoming game events, we thought it would be a good idea to reopen our web sites in good faith of their announced commitment.

We thank Frontier for their frank and honest exchanges, and very much look forward towards a continued symbiotic relationship between Frontier, the fantastic game Elite: Dangerous, and the third-party developers and the tools they create.
    Wow aren't you so kind and thoughtful...

Elite

Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    That's a nice response Ed, but seriously you might as well just pull the API. It will never be good enough for them. How long before we're back here again? Or have they also made a commitment to respect the views and stance of FD and not take it to the forums again?
    Why not? I mean not like this is not Elite Related... I already feed up with the much Fdev try to hide from us already... trying to hide problems with APIs would be a ridiculous idea...
    "These days any man who can sew a black flag and get ten fools to follow him can take a prize.
    They can take it because of the fear that I and men like me have instilled in their prey.
    But they can't do what I can do. They're not built for it. And sooner or later, they'll be exposed."

Piracy By Sandro Sammarco

Greedy Raider Channel , Piracy , PvP , Tutorials, Tests , Stupid stuff and more!

5. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1370
    Originally Posted by Mohrgan View Post (Source)
    I'm glad the OP Group have gotten together with FD. The sites in question are an invaluable service. But, rewarding extortion will just propagate more extortion attempts. Those guys may never 'get their heads out' now. More obstacles for FD to have to navigate in the future.
    We worked closely with them to come to a decision together that benefits everyone... most importantly, it benefits the community and Elite Dangerous. Getting those sites back up was important to us, but also making sure the community developers trust that we want to help. We don't see it as extortion, but we made it very clear that we thought it could have been handled differently.

The important thing is that lines of communication have been opened up.

Originally Posted by Edward Lewis View Post (Source)
    This isn't about caving, this is about ensuring future conversations happen so things like this don't happen again. We made an agreement and discussed things in a considered and calm way. We saw the original post for what it was, an important discussion topic for us to get involved in. We have expressed that we feel it could have been handled differently, and we all agreed that communication is key in future!
    Respect!

I would also like to show my support for the 3rd party developers. The work they do and the tools they create enhance the game and provide information and guidance. I hope Frontier will care enough about it's players and community to support their efforts as well. Thanks

I'm very glad to see a positive resolution and an early lift to the downtime. Thanks, Ed. and everyone else! Now, where are those Manipulators...

10. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1375
    Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    That's a nice response Ed, but seriously you might as well just pull the API. It will never be good enough for them. How long before we're back here again? Or have they also made a commitment to respect the views and stance of FD and not take it to the forums again?
    Hey mate! Honestly... we had a really good chat, it lasted nearly five hours! They're well aware of how we feel about the initial post... I think we both learned valuable lessons today. We should try to be positive... hey those websites are back up now!

Well, guess it's back to exploring just to find a module. Hope your back up soon.

We worked closely with them to come to a decision together that benefits everyone... most importantly, it benefits the community and Elite Dangerous. Getting those sites back up was important to us, but also making sure the community developers trust that we want to help. We don't see it as extortion, but we made it very clear that we thought it could have been handled differently.

Start charging them money for the use. done and done.
    Kill on sight and let the black judge those who oppose us.

These lines of communication should have been opened up without this action needing to have been taken - you only h ave yourselves to blame, sorry.

My system: i7 4790k@4.5Ghz, Patriot 16GB Viper 3 Black Mamba, Asus Z97K M/B, Palit NVIDIA GTX 1080 Jetstream,
    Logitech MX Master/Logitech G502 Proteus RGB Mouse, Razer Blackwidow Chroma X, 3x 23" Samsung Curved 1080p Monitors, Oculus Rift
    * Word to the wise - a higher forum rank does not mean you know more, or you are automatically right. *

14. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1379
    Originally Posted by Mav359 View Post (Source)
    I Miss Inara already :-(

Beyond elite im no gamer, havent been for years but many of the lads in work are and they are always showing we third party apps for games that play. I have found it a little strange that Frontier don't do the same.

I am a big fan of Inara & EDDB and recently after all the updates to Elite i noticed with Inara that the discussion pages often are filled with requests for new features or updates to the site to reflect the Frontier updates. Those requests are often met with the reply that Artie is only one man, so much time, resource etc etc etc.... I can understand where their frustrations caome from

Theres clearly a demand for these sites, the sheer number of replies to this thread alone demonstrates that and i would hope that even if frontier have made the decision that they aren't going to develop API's or supporting sites of their own they could at least help out the more widley used independant sites, even if its only 'many hands make light work' type of help and loan a WebDev or Data Entry person on secondment for a day once a quarter.

What i will add though is that this doesn't help cause only one of three things are going to happen,
    a) Frontier ignores this till it goes a way
    2) Frontier decide that out of spite they will start thier own In House API's and these sites are shut down over IP rights.
    and lastly) i cant remember three

Id like to hear from fontier on this rather then the usual silience, id rather a "No & heres why" the silence

Gonna have enough for two salt worlds after this
    Hey. See my post here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post5447133

#Support3rdappsFD

Originally Posted by CMDR GTR2014 View Post (Source)
    So even devs use community tools good to know ha ha! Way to go! Good choice!
    Eddy is a community manager, not a developer.

Page 92 of 137 FirstFirst ... 82888990919293949596102 ... LastLast