Thread: Newsletter #172

Newsletter #172

All the latest Elite Dangerous news

NEWSLETTER #172

Welcome to the Elite Dangerous Newsletter, the place to find all the latest from the Elite Dangerous galaxy.

This week we're reporting on the discovery of fascinating Generation Ships. Learn more about these majestic ships, their locations, and how they came to their point of rest. We're showcasing two new additions to the Frontier Store in the form of the Synth Pack, and much more.

As always, you can hear the latest news and updates directly from the development team on our Forums, Twitter, Facebook, Community Homepage, and right here in the newsletter every week, and we're always eager to hear your feedback.

On the Horizon
    All the latest for Elite Dangerous: Horizons

GENERATION SHIPS DISCOVERED

Several Commanders have discovered the locations of vast Generation Ships that have been missing for hundreds of years. These beautiful and gigantic ships appear serene as they sit quietly in their resting places, but they all have intriguing stories to tell.

The first was discovered by Lexic Meise after one of his fellow Commanders in the Hutton Truckers found a mysterious transmission. After solving the clues, he tracked down this ancient ship and discovered the reason for its disappearance.

We don't want to spoil the mystery for you, but if you really want to the community can point you in the right direction!

While these mysterious ships seems to have met an unfortunate end, we must remember this was a dangerous and largely unregulated race to the stars. Many people took huge risks on what could only ever be one way trips, with parallels in the exploration missions during the 15th and 16th centuries by boat on early earth, or during the 18th and 19th centuries across the USA by wagon train. The majority survived, and a larger number of ships successfully colonised what was deep space to give us the galaxy we now populate.

Next up was the Venusian, discovered by Klumpozyte.

"After finally reaching Elite in Exploration, I set out to find a Generation Ship and, with the insane luck I have with these things, stumbled upon a listening post that led me to the Venusian," he posted on the forum where he announced his discovery.

The Hyperion was discovered last night by CMDR Vall who had been looking for listening posts for some time after the other generation ships were discovered.

Using a range of 0-90lys from Sol as a guide the commander found a listening post containing a message that led him to the Hyperion's final resting place.

The most recent Generation Ship to be discovered happened mere hours ago when CMDR DarkShadowLYNX found the Odysseus.

Many believe there are more Generation Ships out there to be discovered and we can't wait to see the reports of what you find.

Livestream Lowdown
    Catch up with videos from the community team

CQC WITH DAV STOTT AND A DREW WAGAR INTERVIEW

This week Ed was joined by Dav Stott for some CQC action, and had a very special opening guest, the Elite Dangerous official book author, Drew Wagar!

Drew talked through the history behind his upcoming story Elite Dangerous: Premonition, and explained the details behind this week's massive in-game event.

STORE SPOTLIGHT
    The latest goods and the best deals from the Frontier Store

SYNTHESIS

The latest addition to the Frontier store brings us two new packs. The Synth pack is now available for the Fer de Lance and the Federal Corvette

Click here to see the Federal Corvette Synth pack.

Click here to see the Fer de Lance Synth Pack

Community Central
    The best from the community, all in one place

YOUR GALAXY NEEDS YOU

The biggest in-game event yet is due to unfold this weekend. Starting at 6PM BST, Salomé will begin her journey... will she be helped or hindered by the community's actions?

The outcome of the event on Saturday will dictate the end of Drew Wagar's official Elite Dangerous novel: Premonition.

See his blog for more details on exactly how you can get involved in the event and be the most effective.

Galnet Focus
    All the news from across the Galaxy

GENERATION SHIP FOUND

A lost generation ship has been found in the Alaunus system by a pair of independent pilots. Tragically, remote access of the ship’s medical logs confirmed that the crew was killed by an unidentified pathogen. System authorities have urged pilots not to interfere with the vessel.

CONFLICT IN MEROPE

Authorities in Merope have reported conflict between the Pleiades Resource Enterprise and the Merope Expeditionary Fleet. The clash represents the latest development in the ongoing proxy war between the Empire and the Federation. Security forces in Merope have confirmed that the fighting is localised at present, with no significant impact on civilian settlements.

IMPERIAL INITIATIVE SUCCEEDS

The Imperial campaign to amass material for a new outpost in Maia has reached a successful conclusion. As the campaign drew to a close, Emperor Arissa Lavigny-Duval released a brief statement, thanking those who supported the initiative. It is expected that work on the new outpost will begin imminently.

SITAKAPA INITIATIVE

The Sitakapan Expeditionary Forces have announced plans to fortify their home system of Sitakapa by converting a mining outpost into a military settlement. The group has promised that contractors who deliver military-grade weapons and chemicals to Russell Hub will earn a cut of Sitakapa's booming wealth.

Community Goals
    The latest missions for you to take on

RESTORING ORDER IN CARTOQ
    Avdeyev Settlement, Cartoq

Earn rewards by handing in Bounty Vouchers at Avdeyev Settlement in the Cartoq system.

THE GEAR OF WAR

Russell Hub, Sitakapa

Earn rewards by delivering Battle Weapons, Personal Weapons, Nerve Agents, Pesticides and Hydrogen Fuel to Russell Hub in the Sitakapa system.

Comms Chatter
    A round up of this week's community content

SRV IN FRONT OF THINGS

Skoomer posted this image of his SRV in front of an outpost... a new trend begins?

NO CRIMINALS HERE... HONEST

CMDR ZestyMilk is hoping that security would take his word for granted on his ship.

IMPERIAL BEAUTY

Imperial Clippers... in a station. It makes for one heck of a wallpaper! From CMDR Mat2596.

See you in the black, Commanders

The Frontier Developments Team

If you no longer wish to receive emails from Frontier about Elite Dangerous, you can unsubscribe

Enjoyed this email? Why not forward to a friend

Frontier

Copyright © 2016 Frontier Developments plc. All rights reserved.

Frontier Developments plc, 306 Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, England,  CB4 0WG, UK

No mention of tomorrow, odd

Originally Posted by Puppie View Post (Source)
    No mention of tomorrow, odd
    Look under the Community Central

Time to spring clean your ship cockpit and maybe wipe the dust of your monitors

I think it starts at 19:00 BST not 18:00, go to the blog for accurate info.

That Fer de Lance Synth pack is going on my wishlist.

Please do not send me friendship requests. I wouldn't know what to do with them. I never accept them.

Originally Posted by Smacker View Post (Source)
    I think it starts at 19:00 BST not 18:00, go to the blog for accurate info.
    Indeed.

Here is a link to the official forum thread about the event, which also lists the times:
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...9th-April-3303

At least, the 'news'letters appear in time.

Thank you for this

Originally Posted by Celosia View Post (Source)
    Look under the Community Central

Time to spring clean your ship cockpit and maybe wipe the dust of your monitors
    So its true, i do look with my eyes shut, sssh do tell the missus

Beautiful picture from CMDR Mat2596 !

Thanks indeed, because I didn't even get this newsletter in the mail...

CMDR Alistair Hope, Co-administrator of the Deep Space Network.