Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Megaships are basically the answer to end-game content AND player-owned bases

Megaships are basically the answer to end-game content AND player-owned bases

This has 438 points and 92% upvoted in the subreddit.

Imagine if you could buy your own megaship. Drop a billion credits (Or some such stupidly high number, so they don't become ubiquitous), and you now own your very own shiny, factionless, semi-controllable megaship.

Standard fit small and medium landing pads, repair facilities, and refueling. That's it. You upgrade your shiny new megaship like outfitting a regular spaceship. Add modules, remove stuff, w/e. Pay exorbitant amounts of credits to upgrade it to have rearming, a large landing pad, outfitting, various types of wares on offer and if you're super super rich: A passenger module for accepting passenger missions.

Instead of flying a megaship around like a regular ship, you pick a system from the star map (that is uninhabited and most importantly discovered, so no sending it off to the other side of the galaxy unless you've been there yourself), pick a heavenly body for it to orbit, and off it goes!

Travel time would be stupidly long. Like a full day for a few hundred light years. But you could send it out to a lonely spot near a travel destination. It'd take a week. And then you could bank some easy credits taking passengers from the megaship to the nearby tourist destination.

You could put it in the 'gap' between stations from the bubble out to Jacques. You could tell it to orbit a star in a system right next to your favorite pirating place, so you can always be assured of a warm welcome even if you have a bounty on your head.

You could set it up around a gas giant with rings out in the middle of nowhere and just steadily make bank 'selling' ore to it, or just filling up thousands upon thousands upon thousands of storage spaces inside it with ore and sending it back to civilized space to sell it.

A fully-upgrade megaship would be the crown of any player's fleet. It would be a mobile station (Albeit with a long travel time), and it sets up almost perfectly for having your own HOME for when spacelegs arrive! You can say that a specific system is your home, but it never really is. But a megaship you paid for yourself and can order around the galaxy...?

The possibilities are almost endless, and don't break the setting of the game at all. Dotting every planet from the bubble to jacques with player-controlled outposts each with their spot needed on a randomly-generated planet with persistence tied in and all of that crap, that's difficult and annoying. But a megaship in orbit around something is just a new instance. No dynamics needed.

Buying a new ship never feels like an incredibly huge step. You can still blow it up, and it's gone forever. But a megaship? A huge mobile-station that other players can see and interact with, a way for one pilot to make a mark on the galaxy in a meaningful, indelible way?

A megaship could be your headquarters, your home, your station, and a visible culmination of all of your Elite Dangerous effort poured into one large endeavor.

Imagine being the guy that puts your megaship in the perfect spot to help out the community. Something new popped up regarding the thargoids on some lonely planet? Drop your megaship into orbit there so that everyone who visits has a safe haven for repairs and refueling and rearming; a convenient spot for respawning if something goes bad.

Want a massive goal to work towards to? Megaship.

Want the most prestigious vehicle possible to own? Megaship.

Want to put a station wherever you want? Megaship.

Megaships are the perfect end-game vehicle. For clans. For single players. For small groups. For everyone.

If they were only 1B Cr. then I'd be able to buy one tomorrow - if I liquidated most of my assets.

I'd expect that, like all player owned ships, they'd be able to be destroyed though.

Plus, when the player logged out then they'd vanish.

To hell with it, you know what...why not.

Long as it can't fire a volley of class 10 railguns on an unsuspecting explorer (or unsuspecting space station at that...) and as long as it cannot abuse traveling in any way...why the hell not.

People like pretty things, people like acquiring things, people like a sense of ownership over a "beautiful and unique" system that has 20 other unique systems just like it within a 50 LY radius.

I'd go for it.
    "Please replace these components if use causes fatal damage: HEAT SINK. MAGAZINE. OPERATOR"

Good call, including the upgrade options. Like it!

i would grind my a** off for this like i did it in the old days when elite dangerous wasnt elite ponyfarm like it is today

I'd totally go for it.
    Or for my personal asteroid base.
    Or both.
    Yeah, both.

not o talk of the other options that would inherit -
    * the ultimate Traders choice - don´t influence the market - be it....
    * the final destination for each bounty-hunter - Fleet-Carrier.... dropp into a highly volatile CZ and of go some 30 FDLs, Python, Condas....
    * the ultimate Explorer Base - slowly plot You course throughout the galaxy and have a nice and warm place near the corridor you explore....

This? Megaships? Ludicrous, Frontier would neve- *choking sounds* Ahem, this is the real commenter. Shut up and take my credits!
    Raxxla or Bust!
    (Exploration: Elite) (Combat: Deadly) (Trade: Tycoon)

I love it! But, raise the dollar amount to 10 billion and FD would need to remove all the credit exploits.

If they are only 1b credits I'll take one now please!

While I like the idea, even with a large price there will be hundreds, if not thousands of these megaships flying around. And of course they'd be named. Then there would be the Mega Megaship Meetup of 3304 where 39 megaships all orbit one small potato moon.

In general I can like it. Only your money making machine will not work because of
    general rules of economy.

e.g Selling ores to your own ends in left pocket to right pocket, hence nohting happened.
    You will only make money onces another guy (NPCs or Biologic) is buying ores at your shiny
    megaship. BGS isn't capable today. But the day it is ready, I can imagine.

PS: Keep in mind that such a megaship shouldn't become a buy and forget item. It has cost of
    maintainance and you need to pay for it. You own it but, political faction will maybe gain influence
    in your station you can't avoid it. Politics are coming by crew and by visitors. If not it will be the
    most lonly station it space. You are to maitain that politics will go the direction you want it to have.

Regards,
    Miklos
    You can't treat a computer like humans; a computer needs love.

You could never afford to build a station or capital ship, another I want thread?
    Fly me to the moon. Let me play among the stars. Let me see what spring is like on, Jupiter and Mars

Originally Posted by Miklos Atreides View Post (Source)
    In general I can like it. Only your money making machine will not work because of
    general rules of economy.

e.g Selling ores to your own ends in left pocket to right pocket, hence nohting happened.
    You will only make money onces another guy (NPCs or Biologic) is buying ores at your shiny
    megaship. BGS isn't capable today. But the day it is ready, I can imagine.

PS: Keep in mind that such a megaship shouldn't become a buy and forget item. It has cost of
    maintainance and you need to pay for it. You own it but, political faction will maybe gain influence
    in your station you can't avoid it. Politics are coming by crew and by visitors. If not it will be the
    most lonly station it space. You are to maitain that politics will go the direction you want it to have.

Regards,
    Miklos
    1) You'd have to definitely pay your crew, too.
    2) Pay for extended stays in inhabited systems.
    a) Module types might decrease the costs. Example: Agricultural module could offset fee in extraction system by selling food.
    b) Standing with current faction affects price.
    3) Maybe add mission contracts with a station or other player ship. Other players can go to your ship and deliver X units of food from your ship to a station.

Originally Posted by Captain Willard View Post (Source)
    You could never afford to build a station or capital ship, another I want thread?
    Players will collaborate to purchase a Megaship. Like how guilds pool resources among guild members to build or buy expensive stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast