Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Aquarian Job (06.05.3303 - 14.05.3303)

Probably a decent time to share my two leaderboard entries (wherever they might eventually come).

Adder Fodder
    Final time: 26:11
    SRV time: 7:00

Open Unlimited (DBX)
    Final time: 24:21
    SRV time: 7:38

(click race banner for details)

I'll follow Alec's lead before I head to work.

Final Adder Fodder run:

Only completed Open Unlimited. Quite a few attempts were made, but aborted due to some really bad flying on my part. No deaths, thankfully, but it was this run where I realized my rudder pedals weren't centering properly. I wouldn't say my bad flying was because of the rudder pedals, but they certainly didn't help.

Originally Posted by Darkfyre99 View Post (Source)
    No deaths, thankfully, but it was this run where I realized my rudder pedals weren't centering properly.
    Funnily enough my own pedals lost their calibration last night as well, after working perfectly for months. When I went to the web page to check for a newer version of the calibration tool the first thing I saw was:
    He speaks the truth.
    . . . |\_/| . . .
    . . .>(o.o)<. . .
    . . . ( ¤ ),. . .
    . . . ^^ ^^ . . .
    The above is a 100% authentic furrycat post.
    Read with confidence wherever you see the cat symbol.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm, satire and traces of irony.

Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    i thought we had til the end of the 19th?
    Originally Posted by Orange Sheets View Post (Source)
    So did I! 19th of May, 23:59 UT-12, like its done in the academic world
    No, sorry, deadline was set at 5:59:59.
    Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)
    The race runs from Saturday May 6th 3303 at 00:00:00 to Friday May 19th at 05:59:59 AM. All times are server time, entries ending after the deadline are still valid as long as they started before it.
    It was made so to allow people living in american timezones to have a full evening for playing, since usually ending a race at 23:59 GMT means that players from european and eastern countries may attempt runs up to the last minute while americans are probably still at work/school.

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    I miiiiiight have optimized SCBs pretty seriously... just a little bit.

Took a lot of trial and error though.
    Just a tiiiiiiiny little bit.

Sorry about your losses!

I'm starting to put together the latest submission, as I wrote yesterday I'll wait some more hours for any potential not-yet-submitted entry, so the final scoreboards will probably come this evening or tomorrow afternoon. Hang on in there!

(the Open Unlimited scoreboard will be...interesting ...)

Originally Posted by furrycat View Post (Source)
    Funnily enough my own pedals lost their calibration last night as well, after working perfectly for months. When I went to the web page to check for a newer version of the calibration tool the first thing I saw was: He speaks the truth.
    Instant karma?

Incidentally, watching Inga's SRV section ... has anyone else noticed that the "Mouse widget" dot is directly above you in the SRV rather than directly in front of you. Could this possibly be deliberate or do we reckon' it's a bug (in which case, does anyone know if it's been reported?).

Edit: added to bug report over here ..

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post5530708

Inga - hope you don't mind me using your video as evidence.

It was made so to allow people living in american timezones to have a full evening for playing, since usually ending a race at 23:59 GMT means that players from european and eastern countries may attempt runs up to the last minute while americans are probably still at work/school.
    Ah, fair enough Should have read the thread better.

Thanks for the superb race This had very nice balance on the components that I hate, in small controlled stages, so it was fun.

Did couple tries last night, but without results. If it wasn't poor luck on planetary alignment, then it was a fleet of NPC ships taking off from the ground station just seconds before I did, so that I ended up in their mass-lock influence area (while trying to get to supercruise to trim the planetary alignment issue)*.

Looking for the next one.

*I even got new excuses with this race!
    Expert - Broker - Pioneer
    Lieutenant - Knight
    The Top Bloke - FuelRat
    Buckyball Run A* - 25th overall
    T6 enthusiast

I've had a great time at this race AkenB, despite my lowly position and single completed run. Thanks for organising a great and really challenging race - with the added bonus of melting our starships.

I made three final attempts last night, then really, really had to get to bed - and I nearly overslept.
    1. Final run in the Adder Fodder class, was going well - nothing great, but faster than my existing run. Decided to push the temperature a little more - reached 340% - don't cool down quickly enough - exploded.
    2. First AspX attempt. Heavy landing at Bridger Town (those vertical thrusters really suck on the Asp) - down to 29% hull. So I knew I couldn't heat up too much. Didn't make it across the ravine this time. Couldn't let up the other side quickly, so recalled ship and returned to the start line.
    3. It's really late now, so this has to be the final attempt. AspX again. Hit the slot on the way out (NO!!!) 56% hull left - never mind, I'll just be more careful at Bridger this time. Touched down at Bridger without any damage - Touched down 8km from Cooper Without any damage - Fell into the ravine again! - Made it out again without TOO much delay - It won't be a good time, but it will be a time on the board! - Lets push the heat now for a nice bonus - 500% smokin' - deploy heat sink, watch the temperature drop tooooooo slowly... Boom!

It I hadn't smacked the slot on the way out I'd have hit 600% and still had time to cool down, so my own fault.

I found the most challenging aspect of the race to be the small moons. I didn't manage a single run without at least one "too fast for orbital cruise." I got better in my last ill fated runs, but always managed to push it a little too much.

All the SRV advice in here was very helpful, I actually think that my ravine face-plants in the two Asp runs were because I was getting more confident and going for it more as I approached to ravine. In both cases I lost it just as I reached the edge and so messed up my jump.

I made it over twice in my Adder runs, but was more cautious approaching it.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Incidentally, watching Inga's SRV section ... has anyone else noticed that the "Mouse widget" dot is directly above you in the SRV rather than directly in front of you. Could this possibly be deliberate or do we reckon' it's a bug (in which case, does anyone know if it's been reported?).

Edit: added to bug report over here ..

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post5530708

Inga - hope you don't mind me using your video as evidence.
    Not at all, but if it's a bug, I hope they don't fix it. It makes fliving a lot easier .

The issue with an ending time like that is two-fold:
    1. it breaks expectations for the regulars;
    2. it gives a bad experience to new people who click on a signature banner, which shows date only.

FWIW, I'm an American and always get to start races 8+ hours before most Europeans. Although I almost never top a leaderboard, I'm frequently the first one on them. It's particularly frustrating as a host, b/c my races go live, and there's rarely anyone on the starting line waiting to blast off!

Overall a really good race, Aken! Notes to follow in another post.

Some notes from me while we await the final scores.

For my Adder run I actually didn't bother with applying KGBFOAM to my route 'cos I quite liked the set of stars that I was presented with. Basically you had to make damn sure you were nearly full BEFORE heading down to Bridger Town 'cos otherwise you'd be out of fuel on the white dwarf your first jump away took you too. Then you've got a nice run of three cooking stars before heading down to Cooper and a final set of easy scoopables for the relatively smooth journey back to London Relay.

The DBX was more interesting. I was convinced I could do better than the three jumps from London to Bridger the 8t tank gave me so I tried running with a 4t fuel tank but that's just not possible with the big jump range of a fully stripped DBX (D class thrusters and power distrib'). So then I fitted an extra 2t to give me 6t and found that if I burned 1t of fuel before I started then I could get to Bridger in 2j. Alas I then ran out of fuel later on so I applied KGBFOAM to my route. Weirdly, with that on it was possible to get to Bridger in 2j from a full 6t start and a complete jump pattern of 2-3-3 (the first two from Bridger back to Cooper being nice hot ones for cooking on).

The one other big problem I guess we all had was the first jump away from Bridger often being obscured forcing a bit of supercruise. I did briefly experiment with manually plotting to a non-obscured star for my first jump away but never quite managed to pull that off.

o7

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    The DBX was more interesting. I was convinced I could do better than the three jumps from London to Bridger the 8t tank gave me so I tried running with a 4t fuel tank but that's just not possible with the big jump range of a fully stripped DBX (D class thrusters and power distrib'). So then I fitted an extra 2t to give me 6t and found that if I burned 1t of fuel before I started then I could get to Bridger in 2j.
    By accident or design this route turned out to be pretty insensitive to jump range. I did the same thing -- trying to remove a jump -- but in the Type-6 I just couldn't make it happen. Maybe if I'd had my modded FSD, but per race rules I left that in a storage unit in Solo Orbiter. However, the T-6 did have a slight advantage over the Adder in that I could run the entire course with only minimal scooping.

The one other big problem I guess we all had was the first jump away from Bridger often being obscured forcing a bit of supercruise. I did briefly experiment with manually plotting to a non-obscured star for my first jump away but never quite managed to pull that off.
    I entertained the notion of trying to determine the best jump "windows" for both Bridger and Cooper, but didn't want it badly enough to figure out the math.

Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    The issue with an ending time like that is two-fold:
    1. it breaks expectations for the regulars;
    2. it gives a bad experience to new people who click on a signature banner, which shows date only.
    It got me
    Will have to try fixing my video (stupid VFR sync issues) instead of just redoing the run

It worked last time that's been used (Kick The Alien), I expected it to work again this time. Guess not, my apologies.
    I probably should have gone the other way around, that is to set the deadline to the 18th with a +6 hour extension for American timezones, and not to the 19th but actually cutting most of the day out of it.
    Now, were did I put those tar and feathers...

@Terrorsidic - I've received your submission, thank you! No problem with the screens, I could see the numbers just fine.

THE GOOD

VARIETY
    Even though I suck at flyving, I loved the variety on this course. Well done! It really makes me wish that SRVs were accessible to all players, so that we didn't have to restrict the frequency of races that include them.

SCOUTING
    Scouting routes was one of the things I found most fun about this race. In the following image, the route I put on the board is in Orange. The route that Alec recorded me failing horribly is in Pink. The route I didn't get a chance to try but think has the best potential for fastest time is in Green. Other routes were tried, but ultimately my first successful run was my most successful (b/c I suck at flyving).

The idea behind Max Air Time is just that: keep your SRV off the ground for as long as is possible.

PLOTTING
    Finding routes for departing ships was also an enjoyable activity. Ultimately, this was my solution for that:

Applying this filter for the Adder gave me line-of-sight to my first jump, without requiring supercruise and without adding any more jumps.

HEAT DAMAGE BONUS
    This was a good mechanic. It gave pilots an opportunity to min/max their risk/reward and led to some interesting game science. When my ship exploded due to excessive heat damage I felt like I had learned something, like the event was going to make me a better pilot despite the failure.

THE BAD

1% HULL BONUS
    There will be some disagreement here, but my perception is that the 1% hull bonus made the race less fun. The fact is that people submitted fewer times than they would have if this bonus hadn't existed, and in turn that reduced the amount of competition for top spots. One of the best SRV drivers in the game functionally didn't participate due to this bonus (as entertaining as that decision was).

The first time I got to 1% there was a thrill, but it was mostly overridden with relief that I didn't blow up my ship. After that there was no more thrill, only relief that I didn't blow up (2 more times) or disappointment that I just lost 45 minutes to an hour of gaming (3 times) for the sake of a 30-45 second bonus (after you subtract the time spent knocking off the last few % points). Sure I made the choice to go for it, but it sorta felt like a trap (not an intentional one I know).

Could this kind of bonus work if done differently? Maybe. I think high risk requires high reward to be fun. For this race, the 1% hull bonus might move you 1 slot ahead on the leaderboard compared to someone who didn't get it, but in order to be fun it probably needs to catapult you ahead of everyone who doesn't get it.

THE UGLY

POOR APPROACH VISIBILITY
    Cookiehole mentioned the difficulty of approaching Cooper Arena with low graphics settings. As someone who is required to run those settings, it was painful to find an arbitrary location at an arbitrary distance outside of a HUD indicator. Sometimes I couldn't distinguish my destination until I was already out of Glide, and by then it would be too late...failed run.

I don't think there's anything that can be done about this...as noted, I really enjoyed the route-finding aspect of this race. I just wanted to call the issue out as something that race organizers should be careful of in the future. On the other hand, I finally ordered the components for a new machine yesterday, after hemming and hawing over the financial strain of it since August.

I only managed to get one more run in my Adder last night and although it was an improvement it wasn't quite as much as I was hoping for. A messed up planetary approach and an obscured target system meant my flying section wasn't as good as it could have been. Having said that I don't think my time was too far below my best possible time considering my flyving and racing flying skill level. I need to find the time to watch some of the videos that others have put up to see where they are gaining so much time on me in the flying section. I suspect that it is mainly in the planetary/station approaches.

Overall it has been a great experience taking part in my first buckyball race. It has introduced me to flyving and most importantly was a fun new experience in the ED universe that wasn't chasing credits or ranks. So many thanks to the BBRC and AkenBosch in particular for organising it

As it was my first bb race I can't compare it to anything else but I did like the mix of flying and srv sections. The srv section was interesting terrain and I could see the variety of possible routes made interest for those with the skills to try them but left a relatively flattish route for someone like me. Also the total length felt good. It was short enough to fit into a shortish time slot or make several attempts if you had the time.

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast