Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: "The Aquarian Job" goes badly wrong - How I lost a ship mid-race but am still in the running

"The Aquarian Job" goes badly wrong - How I lost a ship mid-race but am still in the running (by driving an SRV 3000 km)

I'll keep progress updates in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

As of last night I've made about 230km of progress, in a bit over an hour. The biggest slowdown is having to stop and scrape for materials, since I'm short on Nickel and Iron. I'm thinking I should go slow for a bit to stockpile as much as I can, then get up to a steady 90-100 m/s and just cruise.

EDIT: I did it! You can watch a recorded stream of the last few hundred KM and the finish here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lbrbfySFl8
    CMDR Tannik Seldon - The "Million-to-One Chance"
    [Youtube]

Good luck Sushi! I'll be following your progress with interest.

Oh man. You should get some sort of honorable mention award if you actually complete that. That is some serious commitment.

This is awsome, good luck and fly er..drive safe.

Originally Posted by Murgle View Post (Source)
    This is awsome, good luck and fly er..drive safe.
    Actually, it is mostly flying. The key to high-speed long-distance SRV travel is to spend as little time as possible on the ground. Like this, for example.
    [Youtube]

Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    Actually, it is mostly flying. The key to high-speed long-distance SRV travel is to spend as little time as possible on the ground. Like this, for example.
    See I probably would have died ten times in the span of that video. Working to refining my technique though...

The really mean thing about all that is that you lost the 1% hull bonus
    My Adventure of being stranded on Planet Wilson: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...eed-Ship-Rats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkDeE_JPpfI

I'll keep progress updates in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

As of last night I've made about 230km of progress, in a bit over an hour. The biggest slowdown is having to stop and scrape for materials, since I'm short on Nickel and Iron. I'm thinking I should go slow for a bit to stockpile as much as I can, then get up to a steady 90-100 m/s and just cruise.
    I'm following your progress with bated breath.

Also, check your supplies for tier two and three SRV repairs. IIRC, they don't use nickel or iron, also reinforces your SRV's hull, allowing you to absorb more damage.

Originally Posted by Bomba Luigi View Post (Source)
    The really mean thing about all that is that you lost the 1% hull bonus
    Actually not, he can still go for it once again he's back in the ship before crossing the finish line. It's a race you know, EVERY second counts.

A fairly familiar feeling, isn't it?

Awesome attitude.. Good luck!
    "No tears to cry, No feelings left, This species has amused itself to death."
    Props to Mom.. was fun while it lasted..

You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)
    It's a race you know, EVERY second counts.
    Well in that case he's in great shape because unless I'm very mistaken he's going to a have a lot more seconds than anyone else .

Originally Posted by Belthize View Post (Source)
    Well in that case he's in great shape because unless I'm very mistaken he's going to a have a lot more seconds than anyone else .
    That's quite... likely.
    Right on Sushi!
    O7

Originally Posted by Darkfyre99 View Post (Source)
    I'm following your progress with bated breath.

Also, check your supplies for tier two and three SRV repairs. IIRC, they don't use nickel or iron, also reinforces your SRV's hull, allowing you to absorb more damage.
    Tier 2 does use Nickel (quite a lot of it) but Tier 3 doesn't. I've actually got enough for 10 or so of the tier 3 repair, but since I can't reliably scavenge those materials I want to save the premium repairs for emergencies. (e.g. I get going way too fast or am about to collide with unexpectedly gnarly terrain).
    [Youtube]

.... then get up to a steady 90-100 m/s and just cruise.....
    love it!

One day I hope to be sufficiently skilled to utter that sentence

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  19.2 KB

my design skillz match my SRV skillz
    CMDR <-lightspeed-> Expert | Tycoon | ELITE but mostly Buckyball Racer
    ship ID : BRC<->

<-lightspeed-> Explorer Tours
    The HIP Hopper }{ Distant Worlds }{ Colonia/Jaques

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast