Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: PlayStation 4 Launch Date: June 27

Originally Posted by stormyuk View Post (Source)
    Think its a done deal Ziljan, we are getting it on PS4 thankfully. Crack on FDev.
    Why thankfully? Do you only own a PS4 and have been waiting 2.5 years to play Elite? Or do you feel a compulsive need to spend an extra $$ to see how the game handles on yet another console? I'm recognizing a lot of names in this thread, so I'm going to have to assume a significant number of players fit into the latter category. Which is mind boggling.

Originally Posted by Ziljan View Post (Source)
    Why thankfully? Do you only own a PS4 and have been waiting 2.5 years to play Elite?
    Yes, exactly! I realize you're not asking me, but having posted many "thankful" messages, I wanted to answer.

Or do you feel a compulsive need to spend an extra $$ to see how the game handles on yet another console? I'm recognizing a lot of names in this thread, so I'm going to have to assume a significant number of players fit into the latter category. Which is mind boggling.
    There are people who are buying ED on every platform possible (and some in multiple formats). It boggles my mind too, but it's not my money, so I can't really complain.
    SHIPS: Viper 3 Green Arrow, Vulture Vesuvius, DBX River Song, T7 Transport Big Ugly
    RANKS: Competent (Combat), Merchant (Trade), Pathfinder (Exploration)
    ALLEGIANCES: Sol Workers' Party, Federation (Allied, Cadet)

In this forum, Duck is a verb

Why thankfully? Do you only own a PS4 and have been waiting 2.5 years to play Elite? Or do you feel a compulsive need to spend an extra $$ to see how the game handles on yet another console? I'm recognizing a lot of names in this thread, so I'm going to have to assume a significant number of players fit into the latter category. Which is mind boggling.
    My PC is not really up to the job with Elite Dangerous (I bought it very cheaply when it was discounted), so yes I am waiting for the PS4 version. No compulsion. It will be my primary platform. I have only been here since December. (Time flies I know).
    Join us on the Elite PS4 community discord server for Elite Dangerous - ElitePS https://discord.gg/uwzGfT2

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    Yes, exactly! I realize you're not asking me, but having posted many "thankful" messages, I wanted to answer.

There are people who are buying ED on every platform possible (and some in multiple formats). It boggles my mind too, but it's not my money, so I can't really complain.
    Originally Posted by stormyuk View Post (Source)
    My PC is not really up to the job with Elite Dangerous (I bought it very cheaply when it was discounted), so yes I am waiting for the PS4 version. No compulsion. It will be my primary platform. I have only been here since December. (Time flies I know).
    Ah awesome then. Glad you guys will get to enjoy Elite soon. It's really the best game ever made.

Ah awesome then. Glad you guys will get to enjoy Elite soon. It's really the best game ever made.
    Nice recovery there buddy. I only have a MacBook Air as my 'computer' which obviously isn't going to run any serious games. A PS4 is a much easier/cheaper option for a 'casual gamer'.

Originally Posted by reclusivemonkey View Post (Source)
    Nice recovery there buddy. I only have a MacBook Air as my 'computer' which obviously isn't going to run any serious games. A PS4 is a much easier/cheaper option for a 'casual gamer'.
    Absolutely!
    I was planning to buy a new computer equipped with a 1070, but felt that, in Sweden at least, it was too expensive. So I bought a PS4 Pro so I could enjoy cheap "4k" gaming. This is why I'm a little flabbergasted that no checkerboarding seems to be present. But maybe it will change closer to launch.
    | i5 3350p @3.1 | 8 GB RAM | MSI GTX 660 | Elite: Dangerous on SSD |
    My Flickr
    My Soundcloud
    English is not my native language

Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post (Source)
    This is why I'm a little flabbergasted that no checkerboarding seems to be present. But maybe it will change closer to launch.
    I'm not expert on this, but it seems that checkerboarding is far more suited to games with rich, detailed, natural environments with lots of colours and detail. Elite Dangerous really isn't like this, space is empty with a relatively small colour palette and not much intricate detail. I'm more than happy for someone to explain to me why I'm way off the mark here.

Originally Posted by reclusivemonkey View Post (Source)
    I'm not expert on this, but it seems that checkerboarding is far more suited to games with rich, detailed, natural environments with lots of colours and detail. .
    What is checkerboarding?
    Aint no Grind Aint no Grind Aint no Grind Aint no Grind
    Aint no Grind Aint no Grind Aint no Grind Aint no Grind

Originally Posted by Lngjohnsilver1 View Post (Source)
    What is checkerboarding?
    https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2...-delivering-4k

I've read a bit but this one seemed to be one I could almost understand =]

Horizon Zero Dawn is often held up as a shining example of next gen graphics (and rightly so); this article had a nice gif that I could understand more than the checker boarding; http://kotaku.com/horizon-zero-dawn-...-lo-1794385026

Originally Posted by Lngjohnsilver1 View Post (Source)
    What is checkerboarding?
    It's a trick to make a console be able to render 4k without actually having to render all pixels at 4k. Its why people claim it to be fake 4k.

First, you place a grid on the screen, you render every second pixel (for example all black squares on a chess board), it then looks at the neighbouring pixels and colors all empty pixels based on the neighbouring pixels average colors. Or something lol.
    It can create artifacts around edges, but it's a very neat trick. Its also called sparse rendering. PS4 Pro has a built in hardware support for using checkerboarding at a lower cost.
    | i5 3350p @3.1 | 8 GB RAM | MSI GTX 660 | Elite: Dangerous on SSD |
    My Flickr
    My Soundcloud
    English is not my native language

Training active in NZ

ED is up and running on my PS4 Pro just waiting for the servers to come online

The great day ! Today ! Welcome all the new Commanders !

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011