Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Does "Ignore User" = "Block User"

Does "Ignore User" = "Block User"

When I ignore a user, I no longer see their posts in the thread stream. Does that work the other way around? Do I become invisible to them as well? Or can they still see everything I'm posting, and even comment on it (perhaps rudely), and I won't see it but rest of the world will?

In other words, is "ignore user" the same as "block user" in most other settings? If not, is there a "block user" option buried somewhere?

Thanks!

ps - I don't use the feature very often, but every one in a while, well, you know..

2. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #2
    It's a one way street with vBulletin. You can ignore them, but they can still see you.
    - Brett C / bc
    Forum & Community Manager

I SEE you

j/k, I hope...gosh, that internal crisis where I think everyone has put me on Ignore. Wouldn't be without good reason though.
    Commander Monk Edgecomb
    Duke, HIP 16858

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.”

...isn't sure what's going on.
    BrettC will be along to tell you at some point I'm sure....

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    It's a one way street with vBulletin. You can ignore them, but they can still see you.
    Originally Posted by Monk View Post (Source)
    I SEE you

j/k, I hope...gosh, that internal crisis where I think everyone has put me on Ignore. Wouldn't be without good reason though.
    Okay, good to know. It's quite rare I "ignore" someone, usually only if they are being rude / trollish specifically for the sake of being rude / trollish. There's been at least one person who has been stalker-like, thus I was hoping to have a block option. That said, it's wise to keep IRL details to a minimal in general, then I won't need to worry about lurker stalkers even if they can see what I post.

Extra points for 'decoding' transmission.

ignore (v.)
    1610s, "not to know, to be ignorant of," from French ignorer "be unaware of" (14c.), or directly from Latin ignorare "not to know, be unacquainted; take no notice of, disregard" (see ignorant). The original sense in English is obsolete. Sense of "pass over without notice, pay no attention to" in English first recorded 1801 (Barnhart says "probably a dictionary word"), and OED indicates it was uncommon before c. 1850. Related: Ignored; ignoring.

Originally Posted by Monk View Post (Source)
    I SEE you

I only ignor in a small time period, when the emotions are getting in control, and you could write something you regret later, but when i cood down i unblock them again.

Hegh Daq maj jaghpu

Originally Posted by Lysander lysan View Post (Source)
    I only ignor in a small time period, when the emotions are getting in control, and you could write something you regret later, but when i cood down i unblock them again.
    Plus there is that saying that they only can talk behind your back if YOU are not listening. Well, something along these lines.
    I wish there was a way to find out how many people are ignoring me. Sometimes it feels like I'm talking to the wall, so it's probably a lot

Originally Posted by Sir Tj View Post (Source)
    BrettC will be along to tell you at some point I'm sure....
    lol
    i actually didnt expect to die, so i spend all money to upgrade and cargo. NOT MY FAULT

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    Plus there is that saying that they only can talk behind your back if YOU are not listening. Well, something along these lines.
    I wish there was a way to find out how many people are ignoring me. Sometimes it feels like I'm talking to the wall, so it's probably a lot
    So there is no way for someone to know if I'm ignoring them or the forum is ignoring them for me?

I still wish there was a block for the creepers, but que sera, sera.

11. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #11
    Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    So there is no way for someone to know if I'm ignoring them or the forum is ignoring them for me?

I still wish there was a block for the creepers, but que sera, sera.
    Myself and portions of the moderation team can see who is ignoring who, and who isn't ignoring who. As for everyone else, they're left guessing.
    - Brett C / bc

...isn't sure what's going on.
    Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    Myself and portions of the moderation team can see who is ignoring who, and who isn't ignoring who. As for everyone else, they're left guessing.
    Who said that?

Personally I think it would look cool in the user stats.

Chris Simon
    Total posts: 9500
    Posts per day: 18
    Friends: 8
    Ignored by: 215

It could even have its own pips bar under the avatar. Bragging rights and everything.

14. This is the last staff post in this thread. #14
    Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    Personally I think it would look cool in the user stats.

Chris Simon
    Total posts: 9500
    Posts per day: 18
    Friends: 8
    Ignored by: 215

It could even have its own pips bar under the avatar. Bragging rights and everything.
    - Brett C / bc

lol.
    You're going to have to try much harder Chris!
    This user has crossed all sorts of lines and was banished into darkness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast