Thread: Engineers. How to interpret results?

Engineers. How to interpret results?

I have done my first engineering on my dolphin. How do I compare the performances of my ship before and after the engineering? Mass, power draw, etc I can understand, but other things are obscure. I tried to upgrade Fsd to have longer range, I think the engineering succeeded, but I would have liked to see clearly the increase in jump range... but it is not so, there was the indication of an "optimum mass factor" but what is it? On the whole, I think my actual jump range has decreased, probably because I made also other upgrades that incremented mass...

You can use http://coriolis.edcd.io

Add the module, click the little spanner icon to set the result of your engineering. Stuff like jump range will be shown.

CMDR Britain
    The Thargoids are not the enemy
    "Alien archeology and other mysteries" archive | YouTube | Images/Audio

Originally Posted by Zeus Cubed View Post (Source)
    I have done my first engineering on my dolphin. How do I compare the performances of my ship before and after the engineering? Mass, power draw, etc I can understand, but other things are obscure. I tried to upgrade Fsd to have longer range, I think the engineering succeeded, but I would have liked to see clearly the increase in jump range... but it is not so, there was the indication of an "optimum mass factor" but what is it? On the whole, I think my actual jump range has decreased, probably because I made also other upgrades that incremented mass...
    Unfortunately you can't see the results of FSD engineering unless you apply, check your right panel and compare the numbers. Generally, though the optimal mass percentage does roughly equal the percentage of gained jump range. The increased mass of the FSD itself counters it a little bit, but although 30-60% mass increase may seem a lot, don't forget that it represents only 1-2 tonnes, which is negligible in comparison to the whole ship.

Anyway. No way to see the result before you apply. Sorry. I agree it's very inconvenient. Even more so with thrusters, actually.

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    Unfortunately you can't see the results of FSD engineering unless you apply, check your right panel and compare the numbers. Generally, though the optimal mass percentage does roughly equal the percentage of gained jump range. The increased mass of the FSD itself counters it a little bit, but although 30-60% mass increase may seem a lot, don't forget that it represents only 1-2 tonnes, which is negligible in comparison to the whole ship.

Anyway. No way to see the result before you apply. Sorry. I agree it's very inconvenient. Even more so with thrusters, actually.
    For me it was always either the optimal multiplier or the optimal mass numbers, if they were blue, and the fuel per jump increased on the numbers, so does the jump range...I always look for the slider roll bar to be as far as possible to maximum.

Not all rolls give positive results, there are prices to pay, like increased heat signature , increased power usage etc. what you don't want is increased mass...that will reduce your jump range

Originally Posted by Zeus Cubed View Post (Source)
    What you do is you look at your jump range before you do the engineering and again after you have done the engineering. If the number gets bigger that is usually considered better. If you subtract the first number from the second number then that is your increase in jump range (or decrease if it turns out to be negative).

Well, yes of course but... is it asking much to have that datum in the engineer shop panel?