Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your "must have" ED tools when playing?

hotas
    eyetracker
    eddiscovery
    and spotify

My wits, my X52 and a glass of single malt.

Everything else is gravy

Space is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I use only VA and the plugins that come with purchased VP's.
    sh forgot about little old EDDI

ignorance is no form of defence, stupidity is no excuse.

WIN 10(x64)INTEL i5-4690k,3.5ghz@ 4.3ghz, 2x evga oc gtx 660 liquid cooled, 32g ddr3 @2133mhz, MB -Z97-pro gamer, PSU 1000w

Originally Posted by dognosh View Post (Source)
    So many bad karma threads, lets have a happy and informative one
    What do you use?

I use the usual 2 that you guys like for engineers, commodities, trade, missions, system info, faction info and much more :
    https://inara.cz/
    https://eddb.io/
    Thank you thank you thank you to the lovely people who run that !!! (make yourself known in here )

Another very useful item,that I printed and is stuck to the bottom of my screen(and a huge thank you to the creator) :

Update after reading replies :
    Pen & Paper
    HOTAS
    TrackIR , but not using it at the moment
    Tablet, for those websites you listed. And a TV for keeping me sane whilst scanning ships for untypical shield scans in CZ's.
    My name is Cmd thefruitbat, I self nerf.

In order of importance...

1. Nicaraguan or Dominican Cigars.
    2. Cognac or Scotch.
    3. HOTAS and macro keyboard.
    4. Inara and Discord on a 2nd monitor. (For valuable info and banter).
    5. These forums, also on the 2nd monitor. (For entertainment).
    6. TrackIR when I feel like using it.

Vive.
    HOTAS.
    Someone/something to remind me to quit playing because RL kind of wants some attention from time to time (that, and/or sleep)

Hutton Mugger, Bast-erd, Teabagger, '749er, Thunderbirds Rescue Team

EDD
    ExplorerOCR
    EDSM
    Discord
    Forum

(Regular but not continual use...EDDB and EOG).

The list is all this T-6 pilot needs...

Flying happy
    Jon
    Type-6E

Cmdr Jon "Cold" Tallinn. Exploring for the Federation in the Lakon Type-6 Explorer, Hober Mallow II.
    A lover of Ice Worlds. Always searching for planets with an axial tilt of 90 degrees.

There is only one "must have" tool for me..

I personally see the online tools as pretty much cheats, but that's just my opinion.
    Another visitor, Stay a while. Stay Forever!

Power Switch?
    Task Manager?

Originally Posted by dognosh View Post (Source)
    So many bad karma threads, lets have a happy and informative one
    What do you use?

I use the usual 2 that you guys like for engineers, commodities, trade, missions, system info, faction info and much more :
    https://inara.cz/
    https://eddb.io/
    Thank you thank you thank you to the lovely people who run that !!! (make yourself known in here )

Another very useful item,that I printed and is stuck to the bottom of my screen(and a huge thank you to the creator) :

Update after reading replies :
    Pen & Paper
    HOTAS
    TrackIR , but not using it at the moment
    Personally, I've always found the actual tools Frontier provided in the game, plus my own experience and skill at the game, to be sufficient to have fun while still making a decent profit.

While I do use inara.cz and coriolis.edcd.io, I don't use them while playing the game. For me, I think of them as more of a reference tool I can use while I'm at work, waiting for an appointment, or simply or away from the computer.

Sites like eddb.io, on the other hand, remind me far too much of game walkthroughs, which suck the joy of discovery I seek from games. I get far more enjoyment from arriving at a station and discovering that the cargo I brought not only was a good trade, but a GREAT one, than I would bringing a cargo I know is going to be a GREAT trade. Heck, losing money on a trade is more enjoyable than a guaranteed profit, simply because the game surprised me, primarily due to a factor I overlooked.

On the [I]other[I] other hand, I do have two "must have" tools for enhancing my game experience: a HOTAS setup, and a VR headset.

The former really gives you a feeling that you're flying a ship. All the commands you could ever use are at your fingertips, and your ship responds to your slightest movement of the controls. The latter transports you from sitting in front of a computer screen, to literally being IN the cockpit of a space ship. The two together is absolutely incredible, especially since you can look down and see your in game hands mimicking your actual hands, as they manipulate your physical joystick and throttle.

Oh, my lovely external tools :-)
    I don't really need them, but it feels so much better, so here is my list:

Eddi (Great for Information about System, Galnet Articel, it reads out messages from other players...really cool)
    Voiceattack (Don't really use the voice commands right now, but a lot of shortcuts on keyboard. It is mainly, like Eddi, a immersion tool and so much fun)
    TradeComputer mk2 (perfect trading tool and so much more. Information about systems, stations, markets, my ship and so on. Fantastic tool)
    Captains Log (Fantastic for exploration. You get informations about planets, moons and stars directly without having to switch to systemmap all the time)

Currently i never start elite without all of them activated.

- These forums, Inara, and Thruud's open in the browser.
    - EDDiscovery
    - Voice Attack
    - HCS Astra
    - HCS Eden
    - HCS Verity
    - HCS Multicrew profile running with all three of the above voice packs
    - EDDI
    - X52 Pro

There are wolves, there are sheep. I am the sheepdog.

I hunt the things that go bump in the night.

Can I be honest? NetFlix.

After a dozen or more runs to Colonia and back NetFlix has been indispensable.

Originally Posted by Jaiotu View Post (Source)
    Can I be honest? NetFlix.

After a dozen or more runs to Colonia and back NetFlix has been indispensable.
    Anyone who does the colonia run more than once is

But the tools I use
    Mk1 brain
    Saitek cyborg evo 1 stick
    5 yrs old PC
    Holding pen for the space unicorns

Bill

<<<<about 5000 ly from the bubble and on his way home, to a nice safe padded room and comfy long armed jacket.... until he escapes again and disappears into the void to play with those annoying space unicorns that cheat at scrabble FFffssszz is NOT a real word damnit

Originally Posted by William J Smith View Post (Source)
    Anyone who does the colonia run more than once is
    Guilty.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast